By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Based on tech specs and not opinion, is the 3ds stronger than the Wii?

Is the 3ds stronger than the Wii (based on tech specs)?

Yes 148 47.74%

No 105 33.87%

What a stupid question, dumbass. 54 17.42%

Total:307
teigaga said:

The 3DS is around the strength of the PS2 but its games have the potential to look better then Wii games through advanced shaders. The PS2 can push more polys, and higher res textures and the wii is 2x the strength of the PS2. Just look at the tech demo for MGS 3DS. This demo demonstrates the power of the 3DS (the actual game looks no where near as good and has a poor framerate). Although the tech demo looks way better then the ps2 game, there are far fewer polygons on screen, same can be seen with mario kart which doesn't look as good as the wii counter part.

The fact that MSG3 struggles to run on the 3DS tells you its not even as powerful as the gamecube.

There is so much mis-information in your post. The 3DS can easily do anything that was done on the GC, and can most likely do anything seen on the Wii. Resident Evil: Revelations is better looking than Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 was one of the best looking games last console generation, even beating out Metal Gear Solid 3 (though MGS3 is fantastic looking, especially considering it was on the PS2). Granted, Mario Kart 7 doesn't look better than its Wii counterpart (something I'm disappointed with), but it's still a fact that the 3DS is early on in it's life. There is much we haven't seen of the 3DS as of yet.

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!

Around the Network

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

It has better shaders and more RAM, so it can do better looking games than Wii can.

Play4Fun said:
It has better shaders and more RAM, so it can do better looking games than Wii can.

There you go. This the answer to the entire thread.

The 3DS may not have as much processing power (though I don't know if that's true), but what Play4Fun just said is exactly right.

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!

Navane said:
Viper1 said:
The answer is no.

What the 3DS does have in advantage are more modern shaders that can enable some better looking texture effects. But geometry, lighting, particle effects, texture resolution and some more factors all go to the Wii. And that's to say nothing of things like A.I and physics which easily side with Wii.

Name one game that has better lighting than Resident Evil: Revelations. I don't believe the 3DS has much in the way of showcasing partical effects, but I also don't think you can name any Wii game that have any noticable textures that are of higher resolution. Wii specs taken from Wikipedia:

Memory:

The 3DS has 128 MB FCRAM, and from what I've read, is really fast RAM. By all accounts, the 3DS should be able to produce higher resolution textures than anything seen on the Wii.

More and faster RAM is not a direct correleation to texture resolution.   That's a fixed hardware function (though you can scale lower if need be).  Play Metroid Prime: Corruption and get close to a rock texture.  Keep in mind that's also running at 60 fps unlike RE running at half that rate.

And for the record, the 3DS allocated 32 MB of that 128 MB for OS.   So you have 96 3DS MBs against 93 Wii MBs.   But again, RAM alone doesn't dictate texture resolution.

And you have to factor screen sizes and screen resolutions.   You play Wii at 480 resolution on a TV screen of say 42".    This creates a pixel density of 21 PPI.  Very low.   The 3DS has a pixel density of 133 PPI in 3D and 266 PPI with 3D off.  That's very high.  So textures will look sharper even though they aren't.   Even 1080p display monitors at 42" only have a pixel density of 61 PPI.  And don't forget the 3DS has to push a whole second screen at 133 PPI.

And as for lighting, play Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Play4Fun said:

Please see above.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Navane said:
Play4Fun said:

The 3DS may not have as much processing power (though I don't know if that's true), but what Play4Fun just said is exactly right.

Oh man, so I guess if I buy some $400 pc and just buy 16GB RAM for it I'll be good to go?

I'm of the opinion that the performance difference between the 3DS, Gamecube and Wii is not large enough to be particularly meaningful. Very similar games will produce similar results on all three systems and, while the Wii might be more powerful, I suspect that the 3DS will have significantly more effort put into getting the most out of the system.

Sal.Paradise said:
Navane said:
Play4Fun said:

Oh man, so I guess if I buy some $400 pc and just buy 16GB RAM for it I'll be good to go?

Because that kind of RAM is totally the same thing.

We're going to have to compare Super Street Fighter 4 on the 3DS to Super Street Fighter 4 on the Wii if we want a true answer.

No. Wii is technically a bit more, but the 3DS is comparable with the advantage of slightly more overall software features. Overall 3DS could do anything Wii can plus some better.