By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Based on tech specs and not opinion, is the 3ds stronger than the Wii?

Is the 3ds stronger than the Wii (based on tech specs)?

Yes 148 47.74%

No 105 33.87%

What a stupid question, dumbass. 54 17.42%

Total:307

When the 3ds first came out, I always thought it was stronger than the Wii and placed fifth overall behind the HD twins, the Vita, and the PC. I've seen comments and have heard people say that the Wii is actually slightly stronger than the 3ds. I really don't know and I just want someone to clarify which system is the stronger piece of hardware.                                                                                                                 

Around the Network

No way ..wii is stronger play mk wii and mk7 and wii ver is waaaaay better

It's very hard to find exact specifications for the Wii but I don't think so.
3DS is to Wii what PSP was to PS3. I think this is a fair comparison.

Ridge Racer 3DS(2011) VS Ridge Racer 2 PSP(2006)

As you can see this is probably the worst looking 3DS game. It looks worse than an older PSP version of the game. Bad port or the true colors of the 3DS? A little big of both. The game is obviously just a straight port with no effort.

Mario Kart 3DS VS Mario Kart Wii

As you can see the 3DS version of Mario Kart looks much more jaggy as has less detail where as the Wii version looks smooth and has more detail.

Resident Evil Mercenaries 3DS VS RE5 360

This one is amazing. Although RE5 obviously looks much better, the amount of detail and in the 3DS game is amazing. Who ever said Capcom was lazy?

Basically, 3DS games can LOOK better than Wii games, but that doesn't mean the device itself is more powerful.

As much as I wish it was... I really don't think it is.
So, no.

No they aren't. The only thing the 3DS has on the Wii is more RAM. The Wii was built to get a lot of performance at a lower clock speed and power/money cost. The 3DS is hardly up to par with the GC and Xbox.

The reason 3DS games look so good is because it uses a standard shader model like the Xbox1 which make it easier and cheaper to add texture effects to games on the system, so developers are more likely to actually use it as opposed the on in the Wii which has to be manually programmed for every single effect, each unique time you want to use it. The Wii can reproduce any effect you see on the 360/PS3 at a smaller scale. The 3DS cannot.

Monkey Ball Wii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izU8VbSYgqU

Monkey Ball 3DS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVxjmGgeI8Q

Tropical Resort Wii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ias1yKLSHxI

Tropical Resort 3DS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvcC34Di-yM

What is done on the 3DS certainly looks better but as far as what can be done goes, its no where near as powerful as the Wii. I mean seriously. Just compare Mario Galaxy 2 to Mario Land 3D

Around the Network

It's really hard to determine just exactly what the 3DS is capable of compared to the Wii since it's display is much smaller and therefore objects in most games look more jagged and pixelated, and not as smooth as their Wii equivalents (MK7 and MKWii) are good examples of this). If you could hook the 3DS up to a traditional HDTV or monitor, and the games were made to fit that resolution (at least 480p), then most 3DS games would probably look as good, if not better, than Galaxy 2 or Skyward Sword.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

It LOOKS a ton better than the Wii. I'm not sure spec wise though. What does it matter? The 3DS produces quality looking games even if it isn't "HD." I also heard that the 3DS can and will be (at least a little) more powerful as the Wii. In an article I read it said something about how later on Nintendo might allow developers to drop support for multi tasking in turn providing more space for graphics on a game. Also when components are cheaper they can make larger data cards.

I always thought it was more powerful. But that's just me. Mario Kart Wii looks washed out as hell though.

NintendoPie said:
It LOOKS a ton better than the Wii. I'm not sure spec wise though. What does it matter? The 3DS produces quality looking games even if it isn't "HD." I also heard that the 3DS can and will be (at least a little) more powerful as the Wii. In an article I read it said something about how later on Nintendo might allow developers to drop support for multi tasking in turn providing more space for graphics on a game. Also when components are cheaper they can make larger data cards.

If you mean dropping the Home button, then I'm pretty sure it will only give a slight performance boost.

Not to burst your bubble, but how the hell does the 3DS look a ton better than the Wii? Are you blinded by its glorious 3D and lightning effects?

(That was not a mocking smiley ;)

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
NintendoPie said:

If you mean dropping the Home button, then I'm pretty sure it will only give a slight performance boost.

Not to burst your bubble, but how the hell does the 3DS look a ton better than the Wii? Are you blinded by its glorious 3D and lightning effects?

(That was not a mocking smiley ;)

-.-

How doesn't it look better? The 3D does add texture (or something) to a game and the lighting affects are a lot better. When I was talking about multi tasking I meant how you could put a game in the background and then open up other things while it's till running.