By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think it's safe to say the PS3 is the definitive graphics king for this gen

errorpwns said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
errorpwns said:
Turkish said:
Sevengen said:
when do these silly comparison threads stop?
truth is, both consoles are so close graphically that there really is no way to definitively prove which one has the edge, so that leaves personal opinion and bias as the deciding factors, which, in the end prove nothing.

for every screenshot of Uncharted 3 on the PS3, there's a shot of Crysis 2 on the 360, or even Battlefield 3 for that matter which beats both of them hands down for lighting, shading and textures. Now, you can tell me I'm wrong or crazy, but it's my opinion... afforded me because of the rediculously close tech output from the HD twins.

there are no nails. no coffin. just opinion.

LOL! Are you serious about Crysis 2 or BF3 on consoles looking better then Uncharted 3 or God of War 3? Get real man, mutliplat titles on consoels are inferior to PS3 exclusives. Unless you play Crysis 2 and BF3 on Ultra with 8xAA on a PC then there is nothing that comes close to PS3 exclusives.

Sorry, I'm tired of your selective screen shot picking.  Be honest about your games before trash talking.

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/189502-Uncharted3MainImage.jpg

I can pull a gears of war screen shot that looks better than that.  Blurry wood textures, muddy floor, blurry books.  

http://www.mofobian.com/wp-content/gallery/uncharted-3/uncharted-3-10.jpg

Muddy desert textures, blurry plane.  Low polygon trucks.

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/662/50004662/110776_512x288_generated.jpg

That train man, low polygon rocks in the background, blurry tiny blades of pathetic grass.  I can get better looking graphics by running Crysis on medium with 2x AA.  

Here is the train level from Uncharted 2, put into Crysis

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3428/2axca.jpg

So what about Uncharted 2 looking better than Crysis without 8x AA and on max settings?   Quit making a fool of yourself.  Completely bias man.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/122/1220174/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-20120126092505616_640w_1331093691.jpg

This is Witcher 2, it is beginning to look better than any God of War or Uncharted game so far.

In my opinion, I think Red Dead Redemption looks better than the uncharted games.

I've played Gears and Uncharted 3...and yeah...no way Gears looks better than Uncharted 3. Gears 3 didnt even look better than Arkham City.  Hold on a sec, did you say Red Dead looks better than Uncharted? I cant even give it a graphics win over Uncharted 2, maybe part one but not two. Thats it I need to start overlooking posts.

All opinions.  I can point out quite a bit in Red Dead Redemption that makes Uncharted look like a Joke. 

First and foremost, why are you comparing exclusives and multiplatforms, not to mention multiplatforms which aren't made to bring the best out of specific consoles? Red Dead was a great game with great detail and looked great on both consoles. Please compare the details of a sandbox to a linear adventure game. Uncharted 4 cannot be created for the PS3 because it used up most of what the PS3's power and the technical needs for another the next step in the franchise would be way too high for what the PS3 can offer.

Around the Network
errorpwns said:
Gilgamesh said:
errorpwns said:
Chark said:
This is still going on? Both consoles look great. PS3 has more graphical potential than 360 but its not always taken advantage of. This difference can be hard to tell apart with an untrained eye and especially by those who don't play both systems or the games that specifically show graphically achievement. Multiplatform games are not a valid argument except for those games, because often times the difference has everything to do with developer, not the hardware. If you really want the best graphics in your games, then buy both systems and take advantage of the multiplatform difference, while still having the exclusive glory of each.

Where did you hear this bullock?  The PS3 and Xbox 360 share the same Memory/Graphics limitations.  Neither console can actually "best" the other at raw graphics power.  If Microsoft had first party developers that can fool people into believing their game is better by using cheap motion tricks, the Xbox 360 would have the "best" graphics of this generation.

You sir are completely ignoring the power of the CELL.

The "CELL" is a processor, not a graphics processor.  If the PS3 struggled with the most CPU intensive game in recent date: Skyrim.  Then the cell isn't really helping.  You're ignoring that both consoles have nearly identical graphic processors and the same exact amount of RAM.

You need to learn how a game works on a console. The Cell makes up for so much more for the graphics card and RAM, since there's 6 different processors programmers are able set each procesor with specific task like the physics for the game or lighting, instead of shoving it all in one. The problem with multiplat games like "skyrim" for example which I played and know all about, it's a memory leak problem that's why the game has such bad framerate the more you play it, my save file was 12 mb! the games broken (although turning off auto save makes a huge difference) but the faults in this game and other multiplats has nothing to do with the CPU is just bad porting.

Most games are made first by pc so porting to the Xbox 360 is very easy because the X360 is design very similar like a computer, the PS3 is not. That's why a lot of times companies have to get Sony employees to come in and help them make the game because it's to complicated. Most first party companies for the PS3 is use to the PS3 by now so there able to do so much with it, like the changes in the Uncharted series, or what the creators of Heavy Rain are doing now with there new tech demo,looks incredible, and other games like God of War, MGGS4, Killzone etc.

Anyway a video game console needs more then just a graphics card to make a game look great there's a lot of other components to it.

Michael-5 said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Really? Look how low-res those textures are (right click -> fullscreen), not to mention that the background is blurred out Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game will be gorgeous when it's finished, but at the moment Gears 3 looks much better than this, never mind any other graphical-powerhouse console franchise.) Also, I don't really think press shots shoud be in this thread, but hey I can't control that. 

Anyway, since this thread is still alive here's some more God of War 3 shots showing off that sexy lighting, the last one isn't straight from a gamer capturing the screens but they're from a Digital Foundry article, so we can safely assume they're legit. (Sadface because I can't find any Hades screenshots, my favourite moment in the game)

I'm sorry you mock a bit of texture blur and return with a photo of sharp angles? Just look at that green light streak....

LOL are you serious? You must be trolling, you must. 

Anyway, too much talking and too few pictures! 

errorpwns said,

The "CELL" is a processor, not a graphics processor.  If the PS3 struggled with the most CPU intensive game in recent date: Skyrim.  Then the cell isn't really helping.  You're ignoring that both consoles have nearly identical graphic processors and the same exact amount of RAM.

It seems you're late to the 'information party'.

The CELL PROCESSOR in the PS3 does in fact process and perform graphics related tasks. In fact there is no other consumer grade CPU that can perform graphics related calculations (single precision FLOATING POINT operations) better than the CELL PROCESSOR, including 6 core Intel I7s or otherwise.

Secondly....Bethesda's Skyrim issues weren't CPU related...they were MEMORY related. They ported the PS3's version sloppily and didn't allocate enough memory optimizations for the PS3 version.

No offence, but I recommend for you to make no more discussion relating to 'technical matters'...especially if that's not your particular expertise.

Turkish said:
Chevinator123 said:
UC3>UC2>Gow3>GT5>KZ3>Forza4>KZ2>Gears3>Crysis2>MGS4

imo

Character models MGS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>???>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rest of games

Character models God of War3>MGS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Uncharted 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rest of games

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:
Michael-5 said:

I said this before, and many people agreed, but people kept arguing. Graphics are subjective, to some people Forza will be the best looking game because of the most evolved and realistic lighting engine, however there is no water in the game, and very little to model. To others it will be Uncharted 3 because of the sand and vegetation animations. Others will like Gears 3 for the high texture detail, etc.

but but but Why are doing something like this http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4476099???

He thinks GT5>Forza 4. It his opinion? so what's the problem with it. I thought you don't have any trouble in accepting one's opinion??

Oh I accept it, just wanted to say "Really? Wow....unusual/unexpected."

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

thehusbo said:
Michael-5 said:

You don't agree with me, but you're telling me to take my opinions and to can them, and telling everyone else one by one to ignore me because my opinions are somehow fundamentally flawed. Then your telling me hold onto my opinion. You are a hypocrite for chastasing people for expressing their opinion.

Well, this thread sure has been an emotional roller coaster for u. I'm saying you have an opinion and that's fine. Aldro has simply highlighted why that might be flawed, and I agree with him. Anyway, whatever we may say I doubt there will ever be a universal agreement here. This thread has gone on for far too long now. Should just end it here. Your forza, gt5 car argument is interesting btw.

Not really, I think I annoyed far more people then those who annoyed me, I'm just pointing out that your telling me to express my opinion on one hand, and in the other telling me I'm fundamentally wrong and there is no point talking to me.

Also thank you for the Forza Compliment, I play both games (bit more Forza since I don't have a PS3 wheel and my PS3 is broken now), but both have their highlights.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Sal.Paradise said:
Michael-5 said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Really? Look how low-res those textures are (right click -> fullscreen), not to mention that the background is blurred out Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game will be gorgeous when it's finished, but at the moment Gears 3 looks much better than this, never mind any other graphical-powerhouse console franchise.) Also, I don't really think press shots shoud be in this thread, but hey I can't control that. 

Anyway, since this thread is still alive here's some more God of War 3 shots showing off that sexy lighting, the last one isn't straight from a gamer capturing the screens but they're from a Digital Foundry article, so we can safely assume they're legit. (Sadface because I can't find any Hades screenshots, my favourite moment in the game)

I'm sorry you mock a bit of texture blur and return with a photo of sharp angles? Just look at that green light streak....

LOL are you serious? You must be trolling, you must. 

Anyway, too much talking and too few pictures! 

LOL, sorry this made me laugh.

Did you not forget I agreed Uncharted 3 was the best? Well I think Forza is better, but I really won't argue most people thinking UC3 is best.

My comment was against GoW. In half a year, lets see what Halo 4 turns out to be like.

We are developing 'Kansas City ' for ps3 and xbox360 ...i wont really say which looks better but im in this thread arent I?

Michael-5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
Michael-5 said:

I said this before, and many people agreed, but people kept arguing. Graphics are subjective, to some people Forza will be the best looking game because of the most evolved and realistic lighting engine, however there is no water in the game, and very little to model. To others it will be Uncharted 3 because of the sand and vegetation animations. Others will like Gears 3 for the high texture detail, etc.

but but but Why are doing something like this http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4476099???

He thinks GT5>Forza 4. It his opinion? so what's the problem with it. I thought you don't have any trouble in accepting one's opinion??

Oh I accept it, just wanted to say "Really? Wow....unusual/unexpected."

Please! the tone of your post. "But really GT 5>Forza 4?" and there's also no need to post your list. He never asked for it and seeing you being vocal about it so there's no need.

I thought you and the others are already in agreement that different person has a different opinion so what's unexpected or unusual about him telling GT5> Forza 4? It's his opinion. There's nothing unusual about it. It's HIS opinion.