By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Post your first impressions of PS Vita here

So I heard that Game Stop, along with select other retail outlets now have their demo PSV units in store. Having already pre-ordered one despite having never seen or held one in person, I felt obligated to check out what I was buying before my order shipped. Seeing as how the nearest GS is about a ten minute walk from my apartment, it was no problem even if they didn't have one, but they did.

My first thought upon seeing the demo unit was that it's smaller than I thought it would be. By no means did I think it was going to be like an e-book reader or anything, but for some reason I had it in my head that it was a fair amount larger than the actual unit. Essentially, it looked like a slightly oversized PSP-1000. I'd even go so far as to call it pocket-sized although I'm not sure who would actually walk around with a game handheld in their back pocket. I figure most will want to keep theirs in a sleeve or case, making it inside jacket pocket portable rather than back pocket portable. 

The second thing I noticed is it was a lot lighter than it looked in the pictures for whatever reason. I'm thinking it might have something to do with my expectations for heft of tech devices since I'm used to Apple's "aluminum in everything" designs. At any rate, the PSV feels like it's so light that it may have a fair amount of empty space inside the case if that's believable. On the downside, that same lack of heft makes it feel a little cheaper, much like a lot of plastic-y Android phones compared to an iPhone. 

The D-pad is possibly the best feeling D-pad I've used based upon initial impressions. It's made out of the same clear material as the shoulder buttons, but more importantly, the pad has a slight contour from the tips of the cross to the center. 

The twin analog sticks are a bit smaller than I thought they would be, but actually have better spring and feedback than the DS3, possibly due to the small size. At any rate, they are very solid feeling and unlike the rubber tipped DS3 sticks, won't wear down like erasers with use. The real test will be how well their tension holds up over lengthy usage. 

The face buttons are small. Without having a PSP in hand for comparison, I'd say the PSV buttons are smaller, but it's possible they're the same size, but look smaller on the larger handheld. Just like the D-pad, the feedback is positive and distinct when pressed. 

Other than that, the physical button restrictions over the DS3 pad everyone's so accustomed to would be lack of 2nd set of shoulder buttons (I'm sure L and R taps on the back touch panel could fill in fine) and the lack of R3, L3 analog stick click buttons. 

The OLED display has a reasonably tight dot pitch given the resolution and dimensions. Without a working browser, I couldn't do a text test, but it's sharp and defined with an excellent viewing angle. Like any glossy display, there's a significant amount of glare, particularly with the exact kind of overhead lights present in Game Stop. Go figure. Based on the amount of smudgy fingerprints on the display unit, I made two assumptions, one, it doesn't have an oleophobic coating and two, nobody who uses the demo models in Game Stop washes their hands before shopping (the in store smudgy tablet PCs would seem to back this assumption up). Those who eat Cheetos and or pizza before using their touch screen devices will probably complain. To those, I would recommend wash your dirty paws before playing.

As for the pre-installed demos, there were a bunch of game demos and one bubble that was an Intro to PSV sort of mini-game collection to showcase the different input methods. Better than reading a manual, but not exactly entertaining stuff either. 

I skipped straight to the Uncharted demo. First impression; at regular viewing distances, it looks like a PS3 Uncharted game on a 5" screen. About the only visual limitation was the aliasing, which was noticeable, but hardly a jag fest or a blur fest (common for low res native render games with too much upscaling). Other than that, rock solid visuals, particularly nice fire effects/lighting. Random thought I had while playing was that some high end tablet games have similarly excellent visuals and that this is now par for portable gaming among your non $.99 and freeware type games. 

During the demo, they managed to tack in a touch screen "follow the slash" finger drawing to manipulate the machete. Why not since the input option is there. On a related note, it does mean letting go with one hand to draw on the screen to follow the cues; something you wouldn't have to do with a regular controller. Other than that, the demo was too short for any other impressions other than it works like PS3 Uncharted (no combat/shooting to measure against), complete with the free roaming 3D camera (thank you 2nd analog stick). 

After that, since there were no utilities or services to play with like on the 3DS, I relinquished the demo unit. There was one guy playing the demo unit when I entered the store and a few that took notice of the PSV kiosk while I was demo-ing, but hardly a line which for a Saturday afternoon, in a major metro location, would say that consumer interest is pretty subdued. GS put the kiosk in the front of the store where it's impossible to miss. 

Am I looking forward to getting my PSV? Sure, maybe a bit less than I was about the 3DS. Or maybe the general let down of the 3DS after the initial novelty wore off has lowered my expectations. I forsee myself playing whatever PSP games I have through my PSN account that are compatible on my new PSV before I actually start buying PSV games. 

More impressions, maybe in a new post, once my PSV is delivered. 

Around the Network

Random PSV thoughts.

Re: pricing. SCE should consider shipping all SKUs with memory cards in the future. I'm realizing that for me personally, the main reason I'm jumping right in as an early adopter is the Launch Bundle, which more or less boils down to the included 8GB memory card. If this wasn't an early adopter perk, I would have waited. Or possibly bought a base WiFi model and a 16GB memory card for a few dollars more. Most likely, I would have just waited for 3rd party memory cards to become available, lowering the premium for PSV memory chips before buying one.

Also wondering how long it will take before SCE starts offering new "value added" bundles or dropping price on base SKUs. Hard to tell until the first couple months of global sales are tallied. Even harder to tell without a solid catalog of games in place to include the first PSV killer app. As much as I love the Uncharted franchise, I'm not convinced it counts.

Like you, I also demoed the PS-Vita. I overall, I thought the buttons were kinda small, but that they were still manageable. My biggest disappointment was probably the screen. I'm a big advocate of OLED and seeing it for the first time on the Vita was pretty disappointing. The black levels (which are suppose to be the biggest drawing point for OLED) seem to have a "washed-out" look to it. The display also didn't seem to be too bright, but I couldn't find out how to raise and lower the brightness, so it could have just been in a low setting. Also, you can obviously tell games like Gravity Rush and Uncharted weren't running in the Vita's native resolution. It looked kinda low-res, which was a disappointment.

Overall, I gotta be honest and say that I wasn't that impressed with the Vita. Sure, the graphics on an almost PS/360 level are nice, but I just don't find more value seeing them on a handheld than I do on my TV. The games are going to be what is most important, and since I don't play handhelds that much, there has to be more games released that will make me want to own a Vita. Currently, Uncharted alone hasn't made me want to spend $250 to play just one game. Obviously there is great potential for amazing games, but I need to wait to see those game in order to commit to purchasing a Vita.

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!

The feel of the analogue sticks disappointed me a little. I was expecting something bigger and I have no idea why but the pictures online made them seem slightly bigger and concave. Buttons also seemed small but they were also very responsive and had a nice click .

I don't know, maybe I also expected a bigger Vita. I'll still be picking up the system when I get the chance.

4 ≈ One

Looks good, feels good. But I have yet to actually play it.

Around the Network

I was actually at GameStop to pick up Resident Evil Revelations when i saw the PSVita. I rushed over to the little booth that was for some reason tucked in the corner farthest away from the door. The first thing that came to my mind were those damn analog sticks. They're so small. I feel like I have no where to move them. During the Uncharted demo, moving drake was fine, but I can only imagine what aiming and things that require more precise movement will be like. The face buttons also feel a tad small, but nothing bad enough to call it a design flaw. When holding the Vita I found that using (I never actually used it in the gameplay, but I could still touch around the thing and get the feel for it) the back touch pad with my pinky and ringfinger kind of uncomfortable. I honestly think the back touch pad is a gimmick and is pointless. The graphics were great (as expected). Uncharted did look a little jagged, but overall the graphics were fantastic. A lot of my complaints with the Vita itself are little gripes that don't affect my interest in the product. The only flaws with the system that are really annoying are the analog sticks. Like previously stated, they work fine for moving and adjusting the camera, but for precise things like aiming they seem like they would be a large thorn in my side. And then there is price. I have already shared my complaints with the price in other comments on different threads so I won't do it here. Bottomline, it's a dealbreaker. Lower the price on the memory cards and maybe the vita by 50 bucks or so and then I'm interested. Overall score on the Vita design: 7/10.

My reaction to seeing it for the first time in person: I honestly thought it was a PSP at first. The buttons are small and the X button is too close to the right analog stick. I don't see the beauty in the OLED screen, even if it is in a case. Glare was problem for the screen, it couldn't see a portion of the screen when I tried looking at it from different angles. I'll probably upload footage of what I saw from the recording I took. Gravity Rush was playing on it.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Saw it in person the day I went to pick up my pre-order of Final Fantasy, and again, when I went to pick up my pre-order of Resident Evil Revelaitons. Both times, nobody was even looking at the system. Not a good sign, in my opinion.

Anyway, the system was bigger than I expected but not too big to discourage me. It felt good. The analogs were too loose (just like a Dual Shock) but I can adapt. I only played Gravity Rush (or is it Gravity Daze) and I have to admit that I was a little let down by the screen. The game looked sharp but there was more blurring than I expected. To be honest, the graphics didn't look much better than what I had seen on a 3DS. Sony doesn't have the advantage of being light years beyond, this time. I'd say that if the PSV were a PS2 then the 3DS would be a Dreamcast. Button placement, interface, etc. didn't bother me at all even though I only played with them for a moment. I predict a rough future for the PSV but I'll buy it, anyway.

I'll have mine, soon. I may even grab a 32gb memory card. I know there will be must own games for it and, even with my PSP, I prefer digital over physical copies. Loco Roco is $9 in stores and $22 dollars on the PSN but I won't buy the store copy. When that PSN price goes down, I'm grabbing it!

I saw a demo model the other day. It looked doomed.

I wrote up my impressions of the demo unit at my GameStop store on my site, here: http://www.just1morelevel.com/2012/02/playstation-vita-hands-on-impressions.html