By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Post your first impressions of PS Vita here

I bought the first edition in Canada, so it was the Wi-Fi edition (if that makes a difference), the analog takes some getting used to after being used the PS3 controller, but its is still great and the touch screen is very responsive and so is the rear touch pad.

I have no regrets with my purchase.

Around the Network

Nice thread medic, I'm more tempted to get it but I would spend $400 for the console, 16gb memory card and Uncharted. Too expensive for one game :/

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

greenmedic88 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
All i can say is bad ass, i love mine. I can see it replacing my ipad as soon as apps start rolling out. Everything just works, the os is a real joy. The web browser is pretty good, but i do miss touching the top of the screen to scroll up quickly. I cant wait to see how this evolves over time.

Is the browser really that usable?

It was the main reason why I wanted a 3G model, but most of what I've heard so far has been pretty much unanimously negative which lowered my expectations to the point where I don't even see myself keeping the data plan subscription going.

The resolution is acceptable and the screen size means it should be theoretically easier (on the eyes) to use than say an iPhone considering it has a touch interface. I've mucked with the PSP browser (game pad input makes it impractical to use) as well as the 3DS browser (low res makes it unusable for most sites) and then there's the fact that neither can connect without a WiFi port (severely limiting data access).

Initially I had hopes for the PSV as a 3G browser device, but currently I'm in the wait and see for myself club.

I suppose the real test is if it's good enough that I find myself carrying the PSV anywhere even though I always have an iPhone on me.

Except for videos (which they said are coming) and a few little things, to me atleast it works better than mobile safari. The screen is AMAZING and perfect for web surfing, at times I just stop and admire it. Nothing like the PSP or PS3(old) browser and should just keep getting better and better. Also you get Super Stardust Delta free with one month of AT&T 3G fyi.

Dpad is awesome

Buttons feel good but could be larger

Shoulder buttons are mushy and feel like they require too much pressure to activate

Analog sticks have poor placement. Too close to the dpad down and X button. They protrude too high, the throw isn't nearly big enough, and there seems to be a dead zone. I found aiming in Uncharred awkward and I was over correcting all over the place in Wipeout. Also prone to slipping due to convex design.

I honestly think the analog sticks are the worsr part of the unit. Give mme the Circle Pad all day.

The screen is gorgeous in the right conditions, but it doesn't look as good at wide angles or in low light. Blacks get washed out.

Rear touchpad is hard to get at

Doesn't feel particularly comfortable

Load times seem excessive

Wipeout is really fun once you compensate for the controls and looks great

Really wanted to try Lumines, Hot Shots, and Katamri but was not able to.

---------------
The Board is the best site on the Internet.

Solid-Stark said:
Nice thread medic, I'm more tempted to get it but I would spend $400 for the console, 16gb memory card and Uncharted. Too expensive for one game :/

It's an "investment" (I really hate using that terminology to describe a piece of common consumer hardware that offers no returns beyond entertainment value) for future titles and whatever functionality you might be interested in.

If you only want to play one game though, yeah. I think it's nuts to buy a $250 device to play one game.

My rule of thumb used to be a three game minimum before I jumped into any new platform, but that rule was broken with the 3DS (there was literally nothing on release) and even the PS3 since I bought it Jan '07 when there was a whopping one game that I actually wanted to buy. Once again, with the PSV, Uncharted is the only release day title that I really want to play. Other than that, I want to try out the usefulness of the 3G service (for web use) and play all those PSP games on my PSN account that I barely touched.

My total cost to play is $340 between the Launch Bundle and Uncharted. It would have been $315 if I had pre-ordered through Lockerz. Still too much for just one game, but there's a bunch of other stuff I know is on the way that I'm betting will be out before Sony drops the price of the PSV.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:

Except for videos (which they said are coming) and a few little things, to me atleast it works better than mobile safari. The screen is AMAZING and perfect for web surfing, at times I just stop and admire it. Nothing like the PSP or PS3(old) browser and should just keep getting better and better. Also you get Super Stardust Delta free with one month of AT&T 3G fyi.

I'm guessing they'll probably add some video portal apps (YouTube would be an obvious addition), although that's not something I'd be using with a restricted data plan. If I keep the 3G, If figure it will be for GPS navigation (google maps is too slow on the iPhone) and checking e-mail although I really can't think of a reason why I'd do that on the PSV rather than the iPhone.

I know about Super Stardust, but truthfully, I don't really care much about a $10 DL game that I got more of my fill of when I played it on the PS3 back in 2007.

Figure I'll be playing my free copy of "The Michael Jackson Experience" (sorry; can't even type that with a straight face) until my copy of Uncharted arrives instead. Actually, I figure I'll be playing my PSN account PSP games instead.

Well my thoughts on the hardware are not complete, but here are two reviews I've done, both make mention of the hardware.

Little Deviants - http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/review/51798/little-deviants/
ModNation Racers: Road Trip - http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/review/51806/modnation-racers-road-trip/

Little Deviants got a 6.7 because it does what it needs to well enough (it's basically a tech demo for the Vita), and ModNation Racers is awesome save the fact that there's no online play.

As for the hardware itself, in point form:

- Screen is absolutely gorgeous
- System is huuuuge, doesn't fit in the pocket comfortably
- analog sticks are actually really good, but also stick out a bit far for my tastes.
- I'm worried the analogs are gonna get caught on the fabric of my pocket or something.
- both the front and rear touch pad are amazingly sensitive, I don't even have to touch it to activate it
- buttons have a nice click, but are too small for most
- the motion sensors and camera both work really well so far
- voice recognition I'm still a touch iffy on
- I don't like the operating system. feels gimmicky and requires too much touch screen interaction
- I like the crossmedia bar better, I still haven't figured out the new one, or how to delete/arrange my shit
- haven't tried PS3 connectivity
- doesn't have support for PS1 classics as of yet. Will love when it does.
- game carts are tiny, maybe 2/3rds the size of a DS or 3DS cart
- memory cards are even smaller, maybe 1/4 of the game carts
- the charge port is also the port you use to hook to your computer
- Multimedia features haven't been used yet, but if they're as good as the PSP, I'll be happy
- Browser works better than my iPod browser, even though it's basically the same
- Battry life isn't horrible, but isn't great either. 7-8 hours normally, 5-6 hours if using a lot of motion sensing etc
- feels more comfortable to hold than the 3DS, about as good as the PSP. it's light but has some heft.

Overall I'm liking it, but there are some things I'm worried about or not sold on. I'm scared to death about those analogs getting pressed in or snagged on the fabric of my pocket, and I really don't like the OS so far, but I imagine that once I get used to it, i'll like it just fine. didn't like the crossmedia bar at first, until I got to know it better.

Lots of potential, but then again many systems had lots of potential, none of it means shit if the developers don't take the time to make good games. HArdware is just a facilitator for the software, and so far we have only got a few great games and some really good ports. I think by the end of this year, the system will have some truly great stuff, and to be honest it's gotta have one of the best launch lineups ever. I've already got like 6 games, and that's as much as I've got 3DS games and I've had that for almost a year. Time will tell, but it's looking good.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Well my thoughts on the hardware are not complete, but here are two reviews I've done, both make mention of the hardware.

Little Deviants - http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/review/51798/little-deviants/
ModNation Racers: Road Trip - http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/review/51806/modnation-racers-road-trip/

Little Deviants got a 6.7 because it does what it needs to well enough (it's basically a tech demo for the Vita), and ModNation Racers is awesome save the fact that there's no online play.

As for the hardware itself, in point form:

- Screen is absolutely gorgeous
- System is huuuuge, doesn't fit in the pocket comfortably
- analog sticks are actually really good, but also stick out a bit far for my tastes.
- I'm worried the analogs are gonna get caught on the fabric of my pocket or something.
- both the front and rear touch pad are amazingly sensitive, I don't even have to touch it to activate it
- buttons have a nice click, but are too small for most
- the motion sensors and camera both work really well so far
- voice recognition I'm still a touch iffy on
- I don't like the operating system. feels gimmicky and requires too much touch screen interaction
- I like the crossmedia bar better, I still haven't figured out the new one, or how to delete/arrange my shit
- haven't tried PS3 connectivity
- doesn't have support for PS1 classics as of yet. Will love when it does.
- game carts are tiny, maybe 2/3rds the size of a DS or 3DS cart
- memory cards are even smaller, maybe 1/4 of the game carts
- the charge port is also the port you use to hook to your computer
- Multimedia features haven't been used yet, but if they're as good as the PSP, I'll be happy
- Browser works better than my iPod browser, even though it's basically the same
- Battry life isn't horrible, but isn't great either. 7-8 hours normally, 5-6 hours if using a lot of motion sensing etc
- feels more comfortable to hold than the 3DS, about as good as the PSP. it's light but has some heft.

Overall I'm liking it, but there are some things I'm worried about or not sold on. I'm scared to death about those analogs getting pressed in or snagged on the fabric of my pocket, and I really don't like the OS so far, but I imagine that once I get used to it, i'll like it just fine. didn't like the crossmedia bar at first, until I got to know it better.

Lots of potential, but then again many systems had lots of potential, none of it means shit if the developers don't take the time to make good games. HArdware is just a facilitator for the software, and so far we have only got a few great games and some really good ports. I think by the end of this year, the system will have some truly great stuff, and to be honest it's gotta have one of the best launch lineups ever. I've already got like 6 games, and that's as much as I've got 3DS games and I've had that for almost a year. Time will tell, but it's looking good.

I see you haven't learned all the tricks yet. I love the UI so here you go. To edit just press and hold on an empty spot. The edit options will pop up so you can change the background (color or picture), rearrange the apps, or deleate them, and add new pages. Also in your photo album you can set a picture as the start-up image to be peeled away. At least I sure love it!

Sent from Vita like always

One thing I hate about storage devices (HDD'S, Memory Cards, etc.): No matter which one you buy, they always find a way to screw you out of some memory. Buy a 3GB card and you'll get 2700MB. Buy an 8GB card and you'll get 7500MB. I own a "500GB HDD" but when I got it home and tried it out, I only had around 450GB. Why can't companies sell me an 8GB memory card and it have 8.2GB on it? Why is it always me that gets screwed out of the memory? I buy a device thinking I can store a set amount of por--video games and I always have to compromise.

What it has to do with the topic is this: I plan to buy a 32GB Vita Memory Card. I want to fill this sumbitch with games, comics, pics, and shit. Since these memory cards are PSV only, is this the ONE time that I actually get 8GB when I buy 8GB or 32GB when I buy 32GB? One of you PSV owners, gimme some good news.

tried the unit at my local gamestation i have to say it was tremendous, the screen is the best ive seen on a handheld console and it all controlls well.

bottom line is thats its to expensive to compete with the 3ds imo

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...