By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Post your first impressions of PS Vita here

It doesn't have removable battery ...and I hear the battery sucks ...I still reserved one for me

Around the Network
pezus said:

I couldn't care less for smudges/fingerprints on my handheld. My ipod touch is always very smudgy because I can't be bothered to wipe it all the time

It's not the smudges that bother me.  It's the fact that the back is actually another touch screen (touch pad).  I don't want to sit the console down and get scratches on the back and then find out that it's no longer accurate.  I don't know how the tech works, though.  I had a laptop that has a scratched touch pad and it still works okay.  Maybe I'm worried over nothing.

my nearest store did not have one when i went to pick up resident evil revelations nor did walmart accross the street, so no i couldn't demo it in fact there are not handheld demo stations at my walmart except a ds lite

and gamestops are all turned off for some reason .
but i cant wait to get mine and asphalt

What a well written OP and preview. U should write professional articles.

d21lewis said:
That's a concern I have about the Vita, too. I look at my PSP. Yeah, I loaned it out to a couple of people over the years (got mine in '09) but 90% of the time, when I'm not playing it, I'm polishing it off with glass cleaner and keeping it stored in a leather carrying case. I extreme care of my PSP and looking at the back (the front still looks brand new), it's got a lot of scratches and wear and tear. Will this be a problem for the Vita? I worry about this.

It'll happen with anything made out of ABS plastic or whatever the PSV is made out of. It'll even happen to things made out of polycarbonate plastic or thermoresin compounds over enough time or with the right abrasives. 

I've used silicone sleeves on the DSl (with its ultra glossy finish), the PSP (special edition with a matte finish) and an iPhone (ultra glossy finish). Only the matte finish PSP remains without any kind of scarring and that's because it was seldom used and almost never left the house. 

The DSl has minute pock marks and scratches from where abrasive material (grit, dust, dirt, anything you'd find on a city street or on dry soil) collected under the silicone skin, even with regular cleaning. Both screens are unscratched (had a hard film covering which was removed after it was no longer being used).

iPhone received meticulous care in terms of being cleaned daily and always in a shell case or silicone sleeve and same thing; pock marks from grit between the device and case/sleeve, particularly where there was device to case contact. Even the glass screen has barely visible minute pock marks where the edge of the case covered the screen. The rest of the touch screen is flawless. In all fairness, it's been in and out of various pockets for years. 

Point is cases can cause finish damage if anything abrasive gets between it and the device.

The PSV demo I played was scratched on the back after less than a week. A quick look at the cradle Sony used in their PSV retail kiosk revealed why; it's held in place with exposed round head Phillip's tip screws that are right where the PSV slides into the cradle. These aren't tiny screw heads either and it goes without saying that they would scratch just about any material they came into contact with. 

Just about every hard surface you set a device on has something abrasive on it if it isn't cleaned constantly; glass top, wood table, polished granite, tile, etc. Slide anything plastic with a shiny finish on just about any surface to see what those non visible bits of dust, dirt, grit, etc will do. 

So... the PSV will get scratched up too. Just use a good screen protector to keep the screen clear and if it matters that much, I know there are some companies selling thin film adhesive coverings that should protect the case finish. Use a good quality polish/cleaner like iKlear to keep it clean and all shiny surfaces slick.

I figure I'll just be using a screen protector and another piece of adhesive film to cover the rear touch panel. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
pezus said:

I couldn't care less for smudges/fingerprints on my handheld. My ipod touch is always very smudgy because I can't be bothered to wipe it all the time

It's not the smudges that bother me.  It's the fact that the back is actually another touch screen (touch pad).  I don't want to sit the console down and get scratches on the back and then find out that it's no longer accurate.  I don't know how the tech works, though.  I had a laptop that has a scratched touch pad and it still works okay.  Maybe I'm worried over nothing.

The rear touch panel probably has an adhesive polymer coating over it like the glass tracking panels on MacBook Pros. All you'd be scratching would be the pretty XO triangle square pattern.

pezus said:
d21lewis said:
pezus said:

Hmm that's a good point. I certainly hope Sony designed it to be durable enough, even when scratched. It's probably a pressure based system the touch screen uses so scratches shouldn't affect that. Purely hypothetical talk though, so don't mind me!

The rear panel is capacitive not resistive. 

If you don't know the difference, resistive is what's used on older GPS devices and the Nintendo DS/DSl/3DS. Those are pressure based.

Capacitive is what's used on virtually every touch screen smartphone; it responds to anything conductive (like your finger).

Either way it would take a pretty significant impact (not little scratches) to break the panel. Odds are the device would be broken anyway if damaged in such a way. 

goldeneye0074eva2222 said:
my nearest store did not have one when i went to pick up resident evil revelations nor did walmart accross the street, so no i couldn't demo it in fact there are not handheld demo stations at my walmart except a ds lite

and gamestops are all turned off for some reason .
but i cant wait to get mine and asphalt

Are you kidding me?! Did you ask anyone to turn the thing on?

I mean come on, it's not like they're trying to sell these things or anything, right? That would just be ridiculous.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=140099

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Very first impression was that it's significantly lighter than I expected. I guess the PSP's bulkiness left me anticipating a monster, but it was actually rather comfortable to hold. I'm going to attribute the lack of weight to the lack of the UMD slot.

Upon actually having it in my hands, I noticed another thing - it is gigantic, but not quite as gigantic as I'd expected. It's still much too big to put into most pockets, which significantly hinders its portability.

Another thing hindering its portability is the analog sticks. The sticks feel great - I rather appreciate the way they work - but they protrude, and that makes it awkward for putting the system inside anything, just as we'd all expected when the model was first revealed.

Screen is beautiful. If they release a PSV Go that lets the system "collapse" to be just a screen, you can bet your ass I'll be all over one of 'em. It'd be great for portable movies and whatnot, especially since a Go edition would (1) not be a complete flop this time around since it would easily have all the same features, (2) be more pocket friendly, and (3) cover those sticks when collapsed.

SW-5120-1900-6153