By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Post your first impressions of PS Vita here

Feels nice and solid without being too heavy. I think they should have had more 3DS style nubs instead of the mini sticks.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

@Salnax Yeah, people have said the sticks have little space to move and if you try to push them in like the PS3 sticks, they may become unaffective.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Pokemonbrawlvg said:
@Salnax Yeah, people have said the sticks have little space to move and if you try to push them in like the PS3 sticks, they may become unaffective.

They are small, but responsive. They don't move if you try to push the sticks in, but that never affected the usability of the analog sticks.

Salnax said:
Feels nice and solid without being too heavy. I think they should have had more 3DS style nubs instead of the mini sticks.

While I prefer the shape of the analog disk on the 3DS, which is really nicely contoured, I felt more positive feedback from the analog sticks on the PSV.

I was never a fan of the PSP disk slider action (and even less of a fan of the flat shape with crosshatching for grip), which is what the 3DS uses.

The PSV by contrast uses the familiar fixed axis rocking movement used in every current game pad. If I were to change anything, I would have made the shape contoured rather than convex (but all PS controllers have used convex) and probably a touch larger in diameter. The action and feel however is better than the 3DS, which I've been using for about a year now. 

I checked it out at Sony's shop. The guy said the demo unit came in just that day (Feb 4).
I inspected the console and already found scratches on the back touch panel.
The console itself feels lighter than it look but it's quite big. About twice your regular shirt pocket.

The analog nubs protrude up quite high. If anything break first, it's most likely going to be the nubs.

The console feels and looks fagile. Unlikely you'd want to haul it around without an armoured shell.

Around the Network

That's a concern I have about the Vita, too. I look at my PSP. Yeah, I loaned it out to a couple of people over the years (got mine in '09) but 90% of the time, when I'm not playing it, I'm polishing it off with glass cleaner and keeping it stored in a leather carrying case. I extreme care of my PSP and looking at the back (the front still looks brand new), it's got a lot of scratches and wear and tear. Will this be a problem for the Vita? I worry about this.

The bentley of handhelds that might be mostley over-looked.

@d21lewis Well, the Vita has a touchscreen and you have to use it to navigate through the interface, so it's best you buy a screen protector. Get one for the rear touch pad as well.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

d21lewis said:
That's a concern I have about the Vita, too. I look at my PSP. Yeah, I loaned it out to a couple of people over the years (got mine in '09) but 90% of the time, when I'm not playing it, I'm polishing it off with glass cleaner and keeping it stored in a leather carrying case. I extreme care of my PSP and looking at the back (the front still looks brand new), it's got a lot of scratches and wear and tear. Will this be a problem for the Vita? I worry about this.

This is my one and really only concern with the Vita. I'm very OCD with being clean. You can't really see smudges on the Cosmic Black 3DS (which I own) but I know they are there, so I wipe it down after using it. Sometimes if I'm gaming for a long time I will stop playing just to clean it.

Vita I'm hoping will not be as bad as some people think or I might not be gaming that much on it.

As for the scratches problem, I never slid my PSP anywhere, the back didn't get scuffed up. Of course I placed it in it's protective clothed hardback case as soon as I was done playing it.

The Vita is awesome! It cured my cancer! And I haven't even purchased a one yet. And before I was even diagnosed with cancer!

All credit for this joke goes to Porcupine_I