By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447

They will for next generation but they can't now because it will backfire badly.
PS4 games with the new psn 2.0 will definitely be charging money.
They are looking at microsoft, and xbox live makes them so much money.
They have to make psn really good though before charging money.

Around the Network

Because no sane person would pay for it.

pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
Carl2291 said:
Because they don't need to.

A big draw for a lot of people to PS3, is being able to play online without having to pay extra.

They definately do need to! They are in big trouble at the moment and if they were to charge £30 a year for PSN the PS3 sales would also increase i think, as they would be in direct competition with microsoft.

How would PS3 sales increase? Tell me now, you!!

It would cause quite a big backlash if they suddenly started charging people for something they have been doing for free for many years (the SOPA kind of backlash).

Yeah, im sure there would be some stubborn fanboys initially, but they would still stay with Sony because it would still be cheaper than microsoft. Sales would increase because at the moment they are seen as completely different kinds of systems, but if Sony were to implement a PSN charge it would put them in direct competition and they would become substitutes for each other, and as comsumers want to spend the least amount of money possible, they would choose PS3 over Xbox. The Sony board of directors must out of their minds! There are no negatives IMO.

Chrizum said:

But they play for Gold...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Because Sony cares for their gamers more than other gaming companies

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:

They definately do need to! They are in big trouble at the moment and if they were to charge £30 a year for PSN the PS3 sales would also increase i think, as they would be in direct competition with microsoft.

They don't need to. Not at all. They've sold over 60 Million consoles without charging for it.

60 Million users, who will suddenly have to pay "£30 a Year" to play online after it being free for 5 Years? No. They'd go apeshit.

Chrizum said:

This.

And Sony loves us too much to hold our online gaming expernice for ransom.

Ajescent said:
Chrizum said:

But they play for Gold...

Pretty high stakes.

Yes, but Sonys 'love' of their gamers has cost them $10,000,000,000.00. So, yes they really do need to start charging. Also, how on earth would they lose gamers if it is still cheaper than its competitors?

man-bear-pig said:
Carl2291 said:
Because they don't need to.

A big draw for a lot of people to PS3, is being able to play online without having to pay extra.

I don't even....wha?

As far as I see it, a big plus for the PS3 is the fact that you have free online. If you want a value or deal similar to Xbox Live, upgrade to PSN+. You get free games, deals, early demos, game trials, early beta access, and the likes.

I hope Sony keeps it free AT LEAST for the rest of this gen. Next gen would be anyone's guess.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian