By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447

Here is the best response I could come up with. The only time it would be worth it for them to charge is if EVERY game that had online capabilities, had dedicated servers. I do not understand how people are stu...... not so smart and pay for xbox live. Actually no I do understand slightly because most of these people are the "core" xbox fanb......supporters (mainly brits and americans) who most likely rarely was in the PC gaming scene when it exploded. Personally I was there for the very first counterstrike, then when bunny hop was discovered in 1.2, during unreal tournament, quake, etc Furthermore in the PC scene most online games tend to have dedicated servers unless you chose not to (i dont know who would be stupid to do so though unless you LAN). PS plus is a well implemented idea with all the free and discounted content you get in a month it pretty much makes 2 years of paying worth it. Plenty of people do not realize the huge value in PSN plus.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Mad55 said:
The ps4 will more than likely charge the ps3 is to far in now to do so.

Nope. If the Vita is any indication, they will keep the free PSN with an optional subscription with PSN+ which has much better value than Xbox Live IMO.

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

It would drastically lower sales, actually. Why are people so much more obsessed with Xbox? I honestly have no clue. Both consoles have a very similar and good game lineup, but the plain and simple truth is if Sony started charging for online, a LOT of people would either quit playing online, or just go get an Xbox.

That isn't to mention that paying for an online membership would detrimentally effect PS+ sales.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Seece said:
They don't like money?

No seriously, I really think they put profit below other things when they shouldn't be.

Who's side are you on?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

They are not charging because that is what makes it an awesome service. As I have read (I havent touched and XBOX in my life), XBOXLIVE offers more "online social features"; so if Sony begins to charge; (having less features....for some lol) they will loose the "attraction factor" of PSN.

Also, Sony is already earning good cash because of PSN PLUS.......my membership ends by march 2013 XD

Around the Network
VGKing said:
man-bear-pig said:
Carl2291 said:
Because they don't need to.

A big draw for a lot of people to PS3, is being able to play online without having to pay extra.

They definately do need to! They are in big trouble at the moment and if they were to charge £30 a year for PSN the PS3 sales would also increase i think, as they would be in direct competition with microsoft.

LOL!

Making PS3 owners pay for PSN, when it was previously free, would only make them lose customers.
How would charging for PSN increase sales of PS3s? Do you read what you type?

I've already answered that question in this thread. Do you not read before you type?

i think they should charge for psn for one reason. it is not as if the ps3 users are going to jump ship to the 360 bbevause they charge for live too. it is a win win for sony, unless the fans go to pc bt that wont happen.

demonfox13 said:
Here is the best response I could come up with. The only time it would be worth it for them to charge is if EVERY game that had online capabilities, had dedicated servers. I do not understand how people are stu...... not so smart and pay for xbox live. Actually no I do understand slightly because most of these people are the "core" xbox fanb......supporters (mainly brits and americans) who most likely rarely was in the PC gaming scene when it exploded. Personally I was there for the very first counterstrike, then when bunny hop was discovered in 1.2, during unreal tournament, quake, etc Furthermore in the PC scene most online games tend to have dedicated servers unless you chose not to (i dont know who would be stupid to do so though unless you LAN). PS plus is a well implemented idea with all the free and discounted content you get in a month it pretty much makes 2 years of paying worth it. Plenty of people do not realize the huge value in PSN plus.

I was there since the first counter strike too. I've played HL/CS MOD close to its release - was about 7 at the time. So yeah, that doesn't make you as awesome as you think. £30 a year is fucking nothing, the fact that you think people are "stupid" just because they pay like what, 10p a day is ridiculous. It's chump's change, it would be nice to save the money, and in the long run it would probably make a difference - 10 years or so. But I'd much rather pay for a service that I prefer more compared to the shovel that was PSN until few years ago. It may be better now, but there is still an essential feature missing for me. I work part time and study, really, even for me £30 a year is nothing.

I can't wait to see how your view on paying for online capabilities will change next gen, when your beloved Sony starts charging.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

psn lack useful features including party chat

@NotStan

ROFL beloved sony my ass. They have one of the worst marketing departments by far when it comes to several divisions and have been relying heavily on just brand name (even with their "make believe" campaign). The only way i would pay for a membership is if they end up having full dedicated servers on every game they put out. The only thing that wouldn't hurt for the service would be some sort of ventrilo type server for mmo's like dcuo, or high scale battle games like MAG. Other than that, no it is not worth it and yes i would stay solely on PC gaming if it becomes something like an xbox live (obligatory membership to play online). Bad enough we already have to pay for the internet service as it and then they want to charge us to have some matchmaking? Seriously? Oh and at 7 u wouldn't have stood a chance in CS. At the time we were playing with DPG (they were not far below X3), so I would hardly call anything you do gamingwise in online competition note worthy but anyways I dont know what point you were trying to make their. As for PSN in its current state, it pretty much has anything worth a damn to a gamer that xbox live has minus the having to pay for it, so again I dont know what you are trying to prove with your beloved M$.