By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447
ZaneWane said:
psn lack useful features including party chat

and....?

what else?

thats the only thing. and in return it is FREE and has a lot more dedicated server games.

Around the Network
Stefl1504 said:

Fun fact, I am a PSplus member, but if they would force me to pay for onling gameplay, I would stop being a plus member and would no longer play online... and would not buy shooters anymore... and games that have added online value... and stuff that has online content... I would only buy some RPGs... please, they should charge for it so I spend less money!

Oh yeah... but it would appeal richer people because of the so called snob-effect...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob_effect

I agree with you. Already I'm in no hurry to buy games with online passes of which I don't care for the online play. Much cheaper to buy them 2nd hand later without the online pass, their value goes down a lot quicker.

It would be shame though, since I would probably have passed on Dark souls if psn was a paid subscription service.

d21lewis said:
In an old thread, I said Sony should offer different tiers.

-Tier One- Online gaming for free. No leaderboards. No audio chat. No messaging. No trophy comparisons. Simply allowing you to play online against a random opponent like Nintendo does it.

-Tier Two- All of the features that you get now, for free. Voice chat, friends list, video chat, online gaming, trophy comparisons, etc. Charge $40 a year for it.

-Tier Three- Playstation Plus. Charge $50 a year and offer all of the discounts, free content, and other advantages of PS+

And, of course, you get access to the marketplace, Playstation Home, Life With Playstation, etc. No matter which Tier you go with. Online gaming is still free for those that just want to play online. Sony makes money from people that take online gaming seriously. Everybody wins.

Sounds like a good idea, but the basic text messaging (minus attachments) should be included for free, since it is needed for some online games. (eg GT5 trades, Dark souls communication)
And of course they'll allow friends list for free, no better advertising then your friends encouraging you to get a subscription.

PlaystaionGamer said:
Millenium said:
Because then they'd have to upgrade PSN to make it worth it.

And then they couldn't share Publishers fees anymore for releasing demo's and stuff.

its weird... PSN and Live are the same as it is..

Sorry my friend, but this time we'll have to agree to disagree, IMO psn isn't on par.

I thought PSN have a paid system already?

The only main difference that I can think of between Silver member and Free PSN is that on PSN you can watch Netflix.

Around the Network
Adobo said:
I thought PSN have a paid system already?

The only main difference that I can think of between Silver member and Free PSN is that on PSN you can watch Netflix.

And you can play online for free no?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Because online gaming is something that should be free. End of.

man-bear-pig said:
Carl2291 said:
Because they don't need to.

A big draw for a lot of people to PS3, is being able to play online without having to pay extra.

They definately do need to! They are in big trouble at the moment and if they were to charge £30 a year for PSN the PS3 sales would also increase i think, as they would be in direct competition with microsoft.

This makes no sense at all but maybe i am missing something. 

man-bear-pig said:
Yes, but Sonys 'love' of their gamers has cost them $10,000,000,000.00. So, yes they really do need to start charging. Also, how on earth would they lose gamers if it is still cheaper than its competitors?

lol PSN =/= Sony Computer Entertainment. Their poor choices on proprietary hardware cost lost them money, not free PSN. They cannot fix that mistake by pissing off gamers by charging. You are ignorant if you think otherwise.

And how on Gods green earth would PS3 sales increase? That is the most assinine thing I have ever heard on any website. Ever.

with the recent PSN crisis it would create an serious backslash....now they can say their PSN is maybe not so good as xbox live but atleast it is free..