By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447
demonfox13 said:
As for PSN in its current state, it pretty much has anything worth a damn to a gamer that xbox live has minus the having to pay for it, so again I dont know what you are trying to prove with your beloved M$.

No it doesn't hence you clearly haven't played on both networks.

BTW you sound a complete ass talking about your competitve gaming glory days in the past, no decent gamer needs to name drop to try and score points.

Around the Network

Fun fact, I am a PSplus member, but if they would force me to pay for onling gameplay, I would stop being a plus member and would no longer play online... and would not buy shooters anymore... and games that have added online value... and stuff that has online content... I would only buy some RPGs... please, they should charge for it so I spend less money!

Oh yeah... but it would appeal richer people because of the so called snob-effect...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob_effect

slowmo said:
demonfox13 said:
As for PSN in its current state, it pretty much has anything worth a damn to a gamer that xbox live has minus the having to pay for it, so again I dont know what you are trying to prove with your beloved M$.

BTW you sound a complete ass talking about your competitve gaming glory days in the past, no decent gamer needs to name drop to try and score points.

Sorry I do not understand, with PSN I go online and am able to play against others, same goes for XBoxLive gold... whats there more worth a damn?

Stefl1504 said:
slowmo said:
demonfox13 said:

Sorry I do not understand, with PSN I go online and am able to play against others, same goes for XBoxLive gold... whats there more worth a damn?

If that's all you want from a online experience then good for you...

In an old thread, I said Sony should offer different tiers.

-Tier One- Online gaming for free. No leaderboards. No audio chat. No messaging. No trophy comparisons. Simply allowing you to play online against a random opponent like Nintendo does it.

-Tier Two- All of the features that you get now, for free. Voice chat, friends list, video chat, online gaming, trophy comparisons, etc. Charge $40 a year for it.

-Tier Three- Playstation Plus. Charge $50 a year and offer all of the discounts, free content, and other advantages of PS+

And, of course, you get access to the marketplace, Playstation Home, Life With Playstation, etc. No matter which Tier you go with. Online gaming is still free for those that just want to play online. Sony makes money from people that take online gaming seriously. Everybody wins.

Around the Network

Likely it is because they assigned a value to it that when compared to the revenue stream is a net loss.
Not all ps3 gamers use online. I havent used onpine in like half a year. And even then, only to buy games.
Psn plus is a very good solution to the system. You get free games, it's cheap, and they can still sell a system as having free internet.
Its a very win win solution.

I'd say the can't at this point. They are behind MS in the key online territories of US and UK and Live is seen as having more features - PSN for online has to be free to compete IMHO.

PSN Plus made sense for Sony I think - they'd failed to build in the right OS features from the start for cross party chat and left it too late to try and add it. Plus allows them to generate income with more of a loyalty scheme vs Live's model.

Next gen though I'd expect Sony to have cross-game chat and others from the start (as with Vita) and I suspect they've keep basic online free but have PSN Plus add cross-game chat and other features to entice more to pay for it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Millenium said:
Because then they'd have to upgrade PSN to make it worth it.

And then they couldn't share Publishers fees anymore for releasing demo's and stuff.

its weird... PSN and Live are the same as it is.. 

Jay520 said:
They didn't do it at the beginning of the generation because the PS3 was already super expensive and PSN at that moment simply wasn't up to par.

Now, they can't do it because they've built up a pretty large fanbase who would go apeshit if they up & charge for online in the middle of the generation. Besides, many online gamers game on the PS3 because it's free. The PS3 is already behind Microsoft in online activity. Could you imagine how much further behind they would be if they charged for PSN? They simply aren't, and never were, in a position to charge for online.

They may do it next gen though. I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't either.

There is good business acumen displayed in this post - I completely agree with everything stated.

demonfox13 said:
Here is the best response I could come up with. The only time it would be worth it for them to charge is if EVERY game that had online capabilities, had dedicated servers. I do not understand how people are stu...... not so smart and pay for xbox live. Actually no I do understand slightly because most of these people are the "core" xbox fanb......supporters (mainly brits and americans) who most likely rarely was in the PC gaming scene when it exploded. Personally I was there for the very first counterstrike, then when bunny hop was discovered in 1.2, during unreal tournament, quake, etc Furthermore in the PC scene most online games tend to have dedicated servers unless you chose not to (i dont know who would be stupid to do so though unless you LAN). PS plus is a well implemented idea with all the free and discounted content you get in a month it pretty much makes 2 years of paying worth it. Plenty of people do not realize the huge value in PSN plus.

Wait, so you called people who don't agree with your opinion "stupid" and Americans and Brits "fanboys" because they don't buy your system of choice...

In My Opinion, it is posts like this that give genuine Sony FANS a bad name and lower the quality of these boards and discussions.

If you prefer the PSN/Sony and what they bring to the table, argue that, without calling others names just because they disagree with you.  That would foster a discussion around the merits of each, not a shouting match over who's got a louder internet voice.  Of couse I'm assuming that you WANT to foster a discussion, and not just shout out, "I'm right, you're wrong and stupid!", is my assumption correct?