By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Deus Ex: So how are you playing it?

Tagged games:

i played some of it yesterday i just stroll on up to anybody that looks or says something wrong to me and i get them a right hook from hell they usually take a dirt nap for a while then, dont know what play style that falls under.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:

I have no idea how far I am through the game at this point (I'm like 18 hours in?) but I only have a tranq rifle, a stun gun, and a badass 10mm that murders anything if I feel like someone needs to get shot quickly. Also, apparently you can head shot with the tranqs.

I started with the tranq rifle... it's size and hard to find ammo annoyed me though, didn't want to buy any.  Right now I've got a 10MM, a Laser Sighted Machine Pistol and for close quarters an amped up Shotgun.

I haven't gotten as far as you but I gotta admit i've been impressed so far with how true to the originals it was.  As opposed to say, fallout or no doubt X-Com.

I'm even more encouraged by the fact that there is apparently like over 18 hours worth of gameplay.

I don't udnerstand why people run out of ammo so much. I have a comfortable supply of around 17 tranq darts, 25 stun cartridges, and around 140 10mm rounds (They take up SO much friken space).

Also, this game just has smaller hubs and levels in general once you sit down and look at the map. I am glad what they did with hacking, but they removed lockpicking and, most importanly, being abel to blow the doors down instead of jsut staring at them and hoping for the best. It's pretty friken awesome, but it's still more restricting than the first one. Which is sad cause it's been 11 years and you'd think we'd have some seriously awesome ways to incorporate new tech into making fare more options, not less.

Didn't know that about blowing up doors since i didn't have any explosive weapons yet, thought they would of blown up since the boxes and stuff do.

As for lockpicking.  Honestly, I always found having both the lockpick and the multitool to be redundant, and that the multi-tool was silly.  I mean... a digital hacking device with limited uses?  What kinda of omnipresent DRM does the future have?  So I actually consider that a plus.

Can't really comment on the hub worlds yet either, still in detroit, really I don't think a smaller hub world is nessisairly a bad thing, it depends on how much stuff there is to do in each hub world.  For example, No More Heroes 2 doesn't have a hub world at all, but that's still preferable to the dead and boring hub world in No More Heroes 1.

Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:
Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:

I have no idea how far I am through the game at this point (I'm like 18 hours in?) but I only have a tranq rifle, a stun gun, and a badass 10mm that murders anything if I feel like someone needs to get shot quickly. Also, apparently you can head shot with the tranqs.

I started with the tranq rifle... it's size and hard to find ammo annoyed me though, didn't want to buy any.  Right now I've got a 10MM, a Laser Sighted Machine Pistol and for close quarters an amped up Shotgun.

I haven't gotten as far as you but I gotta admit i've been impressed so far with how true to the originals it was.  As opposed to say, fallout or no doubt X-Com.

I'm even more encouraged by the fact that there is apparently like over 18 hours worth of gameplay.

I don't udnerstand why people run out of ammo so much. I have a comfortable supply of around 17 tranq darts, 25 stun cartridges, and around 140 10mm rounds (They take up SO much friken space).

Also, this game just has smaller hubs and levels in general once you sit down and look at the map. I am glad what they did with hacking, but they removed lockpicking and, most importanly, being abel to blow the doors down instead of jsut staring at them and hoping for the best. It's pretty friken awesome, but it's still more restricting than the first one. Which is sad cause it's been 11 years and you'd think we'd have some seriously awesome ways to incorporate new tech into making fare more options, not less.

Didn't know that about blowing up doors since i didn't have any explosive weapons yet, thought they would of blown up since the boxes and stuff do.

As for lockpicking.  Honestly, I always found having both the lockpick and the multitool to be redundant, and that the multi-tool was silly.  I mean... a digital hacking device with limited uses?  What kinda of omnipresent DRM does the future have?  So I actually consider that a plus.

Can't really comment on the hub worlds yet either, still in detroit, really I don't think a smaller hub world is nessisairly a bad thing, it depends on how much stuff there is to do in each hub world.  For example, No More Heroes 2 doesn't have a hub world at all, but that's still preferable to the dead and boring hub world in No More Heroes 1.

Anythign that has door strength means it can be blonw up. If you have high melee weapon damage and chose that augment for more melee damage, you can use a melee weapon to break things down with really high strength, and even security cameras.

I also agree that hacking is better now, however I think a lockpick would have also made sense on a lot of things. The hubs in DE1 were also fairly well populated with places to explore, especially the Hong Kong one. In HR I crossed the exact same hub like 3 or 4 times, and gone to places that I had gone through several times already but their lcoks were just disabled up until that point, or something. It's jsut smaller, and again, just fewer options than before.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I just don't feel it's as awesome. Also, it is a nice touch to use names from DE1 in HR, but it really gives some of the story away in HR. I can probably safely lay down $100 on who the "Main" baddy is in HR towards the end of detroit (assuming this trend for DE1 people to show up in mails and stuff continues).

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:
Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:

Anythign that has door strength means it can be blonw up. If you have high melee weapon damage and chose that augment for more melee damage, you can use a melee weapon to break things down with really high strength, and even security cameras.

I also agree that hacking is better now, however I think a lockpick would have also made sense on a lot of things. The hubs in DE1 were also fairly well populated with places to explore, especially the Hong Kong one. In HR I crossed the exact same hub like 3 or 4 times, and gone to places that I had gone through several times already but their lcoks were just disabled up until that point, or something. It's jsut smaller, and again, just fewer options than before.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I just don't feel it's as awesome. Also, it is a nice touch to use names from DE1 in HR, but it really gives some of the story away in HR. I can probably safely lay down $100 on who the "Main" baddy is in HR towards the end of detroit (assuming this trend for DE1 people to show up in mails and stuff continues).

I meant in the knew one... I knew you could break doors in Dues EX, though I focues on Rifles and Multitools....

so my door opener was often Mr. Rocket Launcher.

only played an hour of it, really enjoying it, it's like ME meets MGS.

Around the Network

Beat it, and replaying it. I beat it on the hardest setting, was mostly stealthy.

Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:

I meant in the knew one... I knew you could break doors in Dues EX, though I focues on Rifles and Multitools....

Oh I was talking about the old one. In this one you can only break some walls if you look closely and there's a crack in them, or some other things like that. Quite restricting.

Another thing is that I'm getting closer to the end and I have just about any worthwhile augmentation. I sneak, hack, murder, run siletly, jump high, run fast, etc. etc. Sure I still die in 3-5 shots, but it's stupid easy at this point. There should have been a choice system like in the last one.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:

Oh I was talking about the old one. In this one you can only break some walls if you look closely and there's a crack in them, or some other things like that. Quite restricting.

Another thing is that I'm getting closer to the end and I have just about any worthwhile augmentation. I sneak, hack, murder, run siletly, jump high, run fast, etc. etc. Sure I still die in 3-5 shots, but it's stupid easy at this point. There should have been a choice system like in the last one.

you can break doors. when you target one it says how strong it is (hard, fragile, firm, etc). there's also a "health" bar for it, I tried gunning a hard one down and after ~10 pistol bullets I literally blew the whole door. I don't know if every doors is like this though, maybe just wooden doors?

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

vlad321 said:
Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:

Oh yeah, the choice system... only hampered by the fact that pretty much all except maybe one choice was was unbalanced to where one augment was way better then the others.

Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:
Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:

Oh yeah, the choice system... only hampered by the fact that pretty much all except maybe one choice was was unbalanced to where one augment was way better then the others.

That was only the case for a few of the slots though. Heavy lifting vs heavy melee damage. Running/jumping vs silet movement, spy drone vs missile removal. In fact the only throw away choices were the aqualung and the targetting one past rank 2. Therefore I fail to see your lack of balance is coming from.