By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SQUARE ENIX on E3: " The Lack of Japanese titles was almost Humiliating"

Amazing, I can just imagine LostPlanet at his/her/it's keyboard, frothing at the mouth as he/she/it types out this vitriole. Nice to see the rest of the Japan-haters like Slimebeast and Kowenicki making a short, but sweet guest appearance, thanks for the comments from the peanut gallery guys.
Kind of funny how some of the more rabid fans are pitting the entire west against the singular country that's towing the line for the east (until China and South Korea get their acts together anyway). Even more hilarity ensues when it's discovered that Nintendo has the best selling games this gen out of any other company. For extra lulz, take a look at Ea's, Ubisoft's and THQ's financials as of late, those massive budgets, the one's that make the standard Japanese gaming budget look like a pitance supposedly? Yeah, they're bleeding those companies white (no pun intended). Personally, I gravitate towards Japanese games, I dig the aesthetics and gameplay, but I'm not such a sock puppet where I would dismiss western titles outright. Hell, I even have a soft spot for the bug riddled mess that is Fallout 3 Goty. At anyrate, the point is Japanese games aren't going away, like some would like to believe. Why someone would wish them to? I have no freakin' clue, maybe a Japanese kid stole their milk in elementary school or something.

Around the Network
vic_viper said:
Amazing, I can just imagine LostPlanet at his/her/it's keyboard, frothing at the mouth as he/she/it types out this vitriole. Nice to see the rest of the Japan-haters like Slimebeast and Kowenicki making a short, but sweet guest appearance, thanks for the comments from the peanut gallery guys.
Kind of funny how some of the more rabid fans are pitting the entire west against the singular country that's towing the line for the east (until China and South Korea get their acts together anyway). Even more hilarity ensues when it's discovered that Nintendo has the best selling games this gen out of any other company. For extra lulz, take a look at Ea's, Ubisoft's and THQ's financials as of late, those massive budgets, the one's that make the standard Japanese gaming budget look like a pitance supposedly? Yeah, they're bleeding those companies white (no pun intended). Personally, I gravitate towards Japanese games, I dig the aesthetics and gameplay, but I'm not such a sock puppet where I would dismiss western titles outright. Hell, I even have a soft spot for the bug riddled mess that is Fallout 3 Goty. At anyrate, the point is Japanese games aren't going away, like some would like to believe. Why someone would wish them to? I have no freakin' clue, maybe a Japanese kid stole their milk in elementary school or something.

Nintendo, Platnium Games, and Atlus aside, the Japanese game industry has been taking a nose-dive in terms of quality with mainly the handheld market I believe they've been flourishing and notable game such as Bayonetta and Demon's Souls. Don't want to sound like a ignorant asshole when I think about Japanese games to me it is synonymous to RPG genre and how many JRPG's have been released around 15 (give or take) with about maybe 7 making it to the west, to put the extra dent it hasn't been the most critical acclaimed batch of titles. I'm probably one of the biggest Japanese enthusiast in this site (easy guys) loving everything Nippon, games, anime and their culture but I can see the harsh reality.

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

"Humiliating" is no Versus after so many years.

Lostplanet22 said:

scribblenauts, Little big Planet, Portal, Flower,

Some of them introduced stuff that is mindblowing others will be hardly noticed...

I left the only innovative stuff in there for you. The rest of them realy aren't innovative at all.

SE is doing this to themselves, they were good in the SNES era, that was like silver age, but the damn PS1 era was straight gold. FF7 was a monster and they hit the ground running after that. THey were not afraid to take risks, they were making all kinds of crazy shit. horror/RPG hybrids, wacky action RPGs, hell they even tried fighting games. That company is gone the sad thing is is that they can be like that again. World Ends With You IMHO is not only the best DS game, but the best RPG this gen. It craps all over most console JRPGS in every category. Long development times hurt too, but the worst is when you have a long one and at the end of the day the game still turns out to be a "WTF???", looking at you FF13. KH BBS was in development for a while too and that game turned out great. I used to gobble up JRPGs like a fiend and it pains me to admit that Fallout 3 only has, for me at least, trumped any JRPG ive played on consoles

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Some of them introduced stuff that is mindblowing others will be hardly noticed...

I left the only innovative stuff in there for you. The rest of them realy aren't innovative at all.

Good job :)

The guy doesn't make any sense anyway, what IS his point and why does he have to make things so personal?

He is taking jabs at Metal Gear Solid as if nobody here likes it and it has gone stale...Very wrong.

Xen said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Xen said:
arcane_chaos said:

how to make this right? announce:
Suikoden VI
Persona 4
Wild Arms 6
another .hack/ series
Grandia IV
Shadow Hearts 4
rogue galaxy 2
KINGDOM HEARTS 3
Resident evil 6(I don't consider RE: racoon city to be 6)
some more "Tales of" games in the west
remaster JP PS2 HD collection games (well for Sony)

well...that's would I like to see =)

Yup, I'd also like to believe that Persona 4 never came out. That game disappointed me more than any other game, EVER.

WHAT?! BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

Persona4 was a far superior game to 3 game wise and the characters were also alot better and or memerable. I think I like P3's ending better but that doesn't make up for the game's other hitches. Regardless they are all great games.

No disrespect, but ROFL.

Especially at the "better characters" part. C'mon.

laugh all you want but it is FACT!!!

Persona 3 only allowed you to control the main character which was really silly. You had to manipulate what the other characters were doing via general commands and if the main character was knocked down he was unable to change his Team Mate's AI meaning they will continue doing a redundant action. Also the game's pacing was sort of off. There is this HUGE slow period towards the middle where there is no character or plot progression just mindless grinding. Several characters felt just thrown in there and other character's motivations were just unbelievable. 

Persona 4 rectified ALL these things:all main characters could be controlled, also each character is a Social Link bringing out backstory for all of them. They even added in special benefits for battles via "Follow Ups" when you get closer to party. That alone makes P4 the superior game. Yet like I said, they are both really good.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

vic_viper said:

Seriously why is it when I complain about GTA IV/Killzone/Call of Duty/The Witcher. no one calls me an Scotland/Netherlands/American/Poland hater?

And what Kamal says is basically true,  J-gamers are complaining about like 80% of the new franchise games especially on conosoles but if then someone makes the sum and says it must mean the Japanese gameindustry is in decline an bunch of j-gamers jump on it like leo-J would on Lady Gaga;.

And yeah I am not talking about sales but about the quality of the games..

vic_viper said:

Best post I have ever read. You are hilarious xD!

Carl2291 said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Sure I could ask you now a list of Japanese innovative games of this gen and then do the same and left most out and then say 2 or 3 are only innovative.

But let me it do this way..

Why for example is an game like splosion man not innovative? The way how you play it in multiplayer especially..