By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SQUARE ENIX on E3: " The Lack of Japanese titles was almost Humiliating"

Square Enix’s lineup at E3 this year, for the most part, wasn’t Square. The major titles at this year’s showing included Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Hitman: Absolution — all properties of Eidos, which Square Enix owns. The only title from the firm’s Japanese roots was Final Fantasy XIII-2. According to Koji Taguchi, a senior executive officer at Square Enix Holdings, the lack of Japanese titles was “almost humiliating.”  

“Because we merged with Eidos and had games like Tomb Raider, Deus and Hitman, as a company we were able to keep face,” said Taguchi on Twitter. “But the decline in Japanese titles was almost humiliating. This has been a week where I worried daily about how we can fix this.”

Square’s Japanese teams are currently busy developing Final Fantasy Versus XIII for PlayStation 3 and Final Fantasy Type-0 for PSP. The pair did not appear at E3.

* I would be embarrassed too, if the company I purchased to help is actually carrying me.. pretty embarassing SE and he is correct at the lack of Japan at this years E3... probally why I wasnt to happy with this years outside of VITA and Wii U

Around the Network

How could you fix it?

Fuckin release trailers of Versus XIII and Type-0 instead of being all 'secretive' and making fans wait fuckin years for more details. I mean fuck is it that hard to make a 2 min trailer of Versus XIII?

Why does it matter if games are Eastern? i have enjoyed this gen more than any other and most of the games are Western, As long as you are having fun it should not matter. I do not feel bad at all for the guys who think everything Eastern is better because it is not.

Also they can fix it by not making games like Xlll series again ... its pathetic Aigito and Versus XIII were announced.. 5 -6 years ago and STILL not out. Thats all SE has been workin on all Gen, at the end of the gen how may SE developed( not outsourced) games will there be?

chocoloco said:
Why does it matter if games are Eastern? i have enjoyed this gen more than any other and most of the games are Western, As long as you are having fun it should not matter. I do not feel bad at all for the guys who think everything Eastern is better because it is not.

What do you mean " why does it matter ?" the Japanese presence and the Japanese Style of games are declining ... The Japanese Industry is .. DECLINING!!, that is HUGE deal. Almost a insult dude

Around the Network
chocoloco said:

No one said it was superior.  But there are obvious distinctions in Japanese games versus Western games, ranging from art design and style to cultural/social differences as well as different preferences regarding genre.  You could even claim there are fundamental differences regarding game design.

The fact that they were at one point dominant and now seem at times nonexistent worry and bother fans of the style.  The lack of Japanese Rpg's particularly bother people imo, because Western rpg's are very different beasts a lot of the time.

EDIT:  It feels like Square Enix is a very inefficiently run company sometimes.  I feel like it takes them to long to come up with substantial progress with games, particularly, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.  They are a pretty big company.  Also, they need a creativity boost.  You gotta leave Final Fantasy alone, make new ip's. 

Xxain said:
chocoloco said:

What do you mean " why does it matter ?" the Japanese presence and the Japanese Style of games are declining ... The Japanese Industry is .. DECLINING!!, that is HUGE deal. Almost a insult dude

I will respect the fact that you are upset, but if nobody is buying than it means not many people care about those games anymore. Money drives every business and if a business is not performing for their consumers it is their own fault.

chocoloco said:
Xxain said:
chocoloco said:

I will respect the fact that you are upset, but if nobody is buying than it means not many people care about those games anymore. Money drives every business and if a business is not performing for their consumers it is their own fault.

honestly you don't have any idea what u talking about!people not buying???the problem isn't about people not buying its about not releasing enough games.FFXIII has sold more then 6 million copies what more you want in the age of FPS dominance????

^ Xxactly... Japanese developers are pretending they arnt Japanese
why is DmC, Castlevania, the secret FF, Shinobi, Golden AX just to name a few all developed by western companies !?

Thats Japan games

NYANKS said:
chocoloco said:

No one said it was superior.  But there are obvious distinctions in Japanese games versus Western games, ranging from art design and style to cultural/social differences as well as different preferences regarding genre.  You could even claim there are fundamental differences regarding game design.

Very true, I just get annoyed at the people that act like there is something superior about Eastern games. I prefer to experience a game because it looks fun. I probably will not comment here again though because I don't mean to bring bad vibes. I just felt like this site is full of Japense supremicest gamers especially in the past and it just got annoying. PEACE