By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SQUARE ENIX on E3: " The Lack of Japanese titles was almost Humiliating"

brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
radiantshadow92 said:
To this date i don't understand why anyone would care where a game comes from. A good game is a good game.

I think the point they are trying to get across is that they like the game, regardless where it's from. But Western developers don't make Japanese RPG's, so I hope you can see where we are coming from when we say we are dissapointed by the lack of Japanese titles from Square Enix.

It's OK, Nintendo has created 2 of the best JRPGs of this gen so far, we can just go with Nintendo =P. I used to love you Square, but you are just not Square"soft" now, and I've started to care less after FF13 lol. I mean really, anybody play anything truly excellent from them this gen other than The World Ends with You? I'd also be super pissed if Versus 13 sucks when I pop it in my PS3.

On a side note, can't wait for Paper Mario on 3DS, ohhhh yyaaaaa~~~

What are those 2 JRPG's from Nintendo?

And I still care about Square Enix, they have a lot of great franchises under their wing.

Fuck franchises, The World Ends with You is a new IP and it's the best game they've made this gen, where are my "God-like new IPs'" that they used to pump out? They need  to stop fucking around.

BTW,

and from 3rd party published by Nintendo:

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Xen said:
Scoobes said:
Xen said:
kowenicki said:
Remove nintendo and what has Japan given interesting or innovative? Not much.

Remove Bioware, Blizzard, Valve, and some Sony first party studios and what the west has to offer thats interesting or innovative? Not much if you bar the indie developers on the PC...

Errr... you had to mention 4 companies, Kowenicki mentioned one. You could arguably add Rockstar (or rather the dev that did LA Noire) and DICE/EA (For Mirror's Edge). Not to mention companies like Epic and Crytek that have made huge advances in graphics tech this gen that many Eastern companies have been unable to match.

He mentioned a company that ALONE develops more games than those four combined.

I would mention DICE, but as far as anything interesting goes, Mirror's Edge is their only game IMO. Don't ask me to voice my thoughts on Rockstar, please :P :P :P

As for Epic and Crytek... we play games, not graphics... and neither company is in any way close to a genuine legend like Blizzard... plus... you have to remember that Japan's focus is NOT with graphics most of the time. The west's is. Japan creates fantastic artstyles, the west covers its boring ones with graphics.

Do they really? Sony's Western titles probably come pretty close plus Valve and Bioware have been more active this gen. The fact still stands that they're only one company. It's not going to do the Eastern games industry any good if only one company is left thriving whilst the rest crumbles around them.

I also think that you underestimate the effect of graphics tech on games. Yes, Japanese games have great artwork, but the tech effects more than just the look of a game. Factors such as physics, view distances, streaming, animations, frequency of loading, number of movable objects in a given area and level size all contribute to the game design. The tech isn't just a tool for making things look nice but is also an aid for the game designer. Furthermore, the Eastern devs are also trying to compete in Western markets, so they need to balance their intriguing cultural artstyle with the technology that's now available to them.

Yep. And yeah, it is one company, but one that alone matches the capacity of the four I mentioned... plus, it's not like stuff is crumbling - see Konami, Capcom, Namdai, Atlus and such - they are doing well.

I can agree with you on the tech part, however.

dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
radiantshadow92 said:
To this date i don't understand why anyone would care where a game comes from. A good game is a good game.

I think the point they are trying to get across is that they like the game, regardless where it's from. But Western developers don't make Japanese RPG's, so I hope you can see where we are coming from when we say we are dissapointed by the lack of Japanese titles from Square Enix.

It's OK, Nintendo has created 2 of the best JRPGs of this gen so far, we can just go with Nintendo =P. I used to love you Square, but you are just not Square"soft" now, and I've started to care less after FF13 lol. I mean really, anybody play anything truly excellent from them this gen other than The World Ends with You? I'd also be super pissed if Versus 13 sucks when I pop it in my PS3.

And I still care about Square Enix, they have a lot of great franchises under their wing.

Fuck franchises, The World Ends with You is a new IP and it's the best game they've made this gen, where are my "God-like new IPs'" that they used to pump out? They need  to stop fucking around.

BTW,

But I loved Final Fantasy XIII, I enjoy practically any Final Fantasy game, whether it's a remake or a new game they end up being the best games that generation for me (even on handhelds, Crisis Core was amazing).

I sold my Wii and my DS but I will pick them up again when there is another price drop or when I have saved up enough money. Sadly the 3rd party games you mentioned are only out in Japan at the moment, I want to play those :/

Really it was a slow year for everyone in terms of announcements, North, South, East, and West. Nobody was pitching any really off-the-wall new ideas

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

But I loved Final Fantasy XIII, I enjoy practically any Final Fantasy game, whether it's a remake or a new game they end up being the best games that generation for me (even on handhelds, Crisis Core was amazing).

I sold my Wii and my DS but I will pick them up again when there is another price drop or when I have saved up enough money. Sadly the 3rd party games you mentioned are only out in Japan at the moment, I want to play those :/

uh.... I love FF6, FF9, and FF7 (when it was just a FF without all the BS of the later, back in 1997,) and have played all the rest, but that's really about it. 13 is nowhere even close to 6, and 6 came out in 1994. 13 didn't tell the back story properly and makes you read a gazillion ton of logs, I couldn't explore for shit, some main characters I want to utterly murder, I can't believe they put the FF name on it even to this moment. Now, it wasn't a bad game, but it definitely didn't deserve the FF name, it's an 8/10 at best and it's saving grace is the interesting combat system.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

BTW,

Xenoblade Chronicles is 1st party.  Monolith Soft (the developers) are about 80% owned by Nintendo, they were purchased from Namco-Bandi back in 2007.

@Brendude13 - Xenoblade Chronicles is announced for Europe and is rumoured to come out in September.  Now with that price cut, it may be time to get another Wii, possibly?

dahuman said:
brendude13 said:

uh.... I love FF6, FF9, and FF7 (when it was just a FF without all the BS of the later, back in 1997,) and have played all the rest, but that's really about it. 13 is nowhere even close to 6, and 6 came out in 1994. 13 didn't tell the back story properly and makes you read a gazillion ton of logs, I couldn't explore for shit, some main characters I want to utterly murder, I can't believe they put the FF name on it even to this moment. Now, it wasn't a bad game, but it definitely didn't deserve the FF name, it's an 8/10 at best and it's saving grace is the interesting combat system.

I never got to play FF6, 2D games are before my time really (apart from Sonic).

FF7 is my favourite game of all time though, what a classic.

For me, I didn't have any problems with FFXIII's story until the end, I understood what was going on but I still read the datalog anyway. The lack of exploration almost killed the game though, while it is the only major flaw I can think of, it's still a pretty big one.

And when it comes to characters, I'm not sure which on you are talking about.

Hope grew some balls near the end of the game so I didn't mind him. And when Vanille came on screen, I have to admit, I muted my TV quite a few times, her sexual noises during battle were quite funny though.

brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:

I never got to play FF6, 2D games are before my time really (apart from Sonic).

FF7 is my favourite game of all time though, what a classic.

For me, I didn't have any problems with FFXIII's story until the end, I understood what was going on but I still read the datalog anyway. The lack of exploration almost killed the game though, while it is the only major flaw I can think of, it's still a pretty big one.

And when it comes to characters, I'm not sure which on you are talking about.

Hope grew some balls near the end of the game so I didn't mind him. And when Vanille came on screen, I have to admit, I muted my TV quite a few times, her sexual noises during battle were quite funny though.

seriously, get FFVI.

IMO it's the greatest RPG ever produced and is my favourite game after Zelda: WW.  It's story is among the best I've seen in a game, equal to the likes of Xenogears and Metal Gear Solid.  IMO it is easily the pinnacle of the FF series.

One can get it in it's original form on an NTSC SNES, the PSX version (really crappy loading times though), GBA (bonus content, but IMO gimped music) or probably the best way downloaded off the Wii's Virtual Console for 900 Wii points (about £6.30).

brendude13 said:
Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:
Remove nintendo and what has Japan given interesting or innovative? Not much.

Give me a whole bunch of Western devs then, who have given interesting and innovative games. Please.

Haha, thanks, you beat me to it.

Mirror's edge, Borderlands, scribblenauts, Little big Planet, Call of duty MW, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Left4Dead, Portal, Red Dead redemption, Heavy Rain, L.A. Noire, Rockband?, (Crackdown/Prototype/infamous), Splosion man,Prey, Flower Braid, super meat boy?,Outland, Limbo, Trials HD, Skate, Dirt3, Peggle, divinity 2, (Gears of war 2 horde mode/halo firefight) harm's way, , Lara croft GoL, SplinterCellConvictioin, Alan wake, and a lot of others...

Some of them introduced stuff that is mindblowing others will be hardly noticed...

MrT-Tar said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

BTW,

Xenoblade Chronicles is 1st party.  Monolith Soft (the developers) are about 80% owned by Nintendo, they were purchased from Namco-Bandi back in 2007.

@Brendude13 - Xenoblade Chronicles is announced for Europe and is rumoured to come out in September.  Now with that price cut, it may be time to get another Wii, possibly?

oh yeah, forgot about that.