By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SQUARE ENIX on E3: " The Lack of Japanese titles was almost Humiliating"

brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:

But I loved Final Fantasy XIII, I enjoy practically any Final Fantasy game, whether it's a remake or a new game they end up being the best games that generation for me (even on handhelds, Crisis Core was amazing).

I sold my Wii and my DS but I will pick them up again when there is another price drop or when I have saved up enough money. Sadly the 3rd party games you mentioned are only out in Japan at the moment, I want to play those :/

uh.... I love FF6, FF9, and FF7 (when it was just a FF without all the BS of the later, back in 1997,) and have played all the rest, but that's really about it. 13 is nowhere even close to 6, and 6 came out in 1994. 13 didn't tell the back story properly and makes you read a gazillion ton of logs, I couldn't explore for shit, some main characters I want to utterly murder, I can't believe they put the FF name on it even to this moment. Now, it wasn't a bad game, but it definitely didn't deserve the FF name, it's an 8/10 at best and it's saving grace is the interesting combat system.

I never got to play FF6, 2D games are before my time really (apart from Sonic).

FF7 is my favourite game of all time though, what a classic.

For me, I didn't have any problems with FFXIII's story until the end, I understood what was going on but I still read the datalog anyway. The lack of exploration almost killed the game though, while it is the only major flaw I can think of, it's still a pretty big one.

And when it comes to characters, I'm not sure which on you are talking about.

Hope grew some balls near the end of the game so I didn't mind him. And when Vanille came on screen, I have to admit, I muted my TV quite a few times, her sexual noises during battle were quite funny though.

I want to punch Snow in the face, kick Hope off a building, and run electric shaver through those god damn fros because I'd never go close to somebody how nests a bird in their hair, would smell like shit. Lighting is a fucking weirdo but at least I don't want her to die, Fang is the coolest character, and Vanille sounds fine in Japanese, they fucked her up in English VO is all.

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
brendude13 said:
dahuman said:
brendude13 said:

But I loved Final Fantasy XIII, I enjoy practically any Final Fantasy game, whether it's a remake or a new game they end up being the best games that generation for me (even on handhelds, Crisis Core was amazing).

I sold my Wii and my DS but I will pick them up again when there is another price drop or when I have saved up enough money. Sadly the 3rd party games you mentioned are only out in Japan at the moment, I want to play those :/

uh.... I love FF6, FF9, and FF7 (when it was just a FF without all the BS of the later, back in 1997,) and have played all the rest, but that's really about it. 13 is nowhere even close to 6, and 6 came out in 1994. 13 didn't tell the back story properly and makes you read a gazillion ton of logs, I couldn't explore for shit, some main characters I want to utterly murder, I can't believe they put the FF name on it even to this moment. Now, it wasn't a bad game, but it definitely didn't deserve the FF name, it's an 8/10 at best and it's saving grace is the interesting combat system.

I never got to play FF6, 2D games are before my time really (apart from Sonic).

FF7 is my favourite game of all time though, what a classic.

For me, I didn't have any problems with FFXIII's story until the end, I understood what was going on but I still read the datalog anyway. The lack of exploration almost killed the game though, while it is the only major flaw I can think of, it's still a pretty big one.

And when it comes to characters, I'm not sure which on you are talking about.

Hope grew some balls near the end of the game so I didn't mind him. And when Vanille came on screen, I have to admit, I muted my TV quite a few times, her sexual noises during battle were quite funny though.

seriously, get FFVI.

IMO it's the greatest RPG ever produced and is my favourite game after Zelda: WW.  It's story is among the best I've seen in a game, equal to the likes of Xenogears and Metal Gear Solid.  IMO it is easily the pinnacle of the FF series.

One can get it in it's original form on an NTSC SNES, the PSX version (really crappy loading times though), GBA (bonus content, but IMO gimped music) or probably the best way downloaded off the Wii's Virtual Console for 900 Wii points (about £6.30).

PSN version is expensive, but I might buy it with the ability to play it on the PSP.

Its only insulting if it happens again. its understandable that Sqaure have had a lot of problems recently, and i think as long as they've learned from this year we dont have a problem.

MrT-Tar said:

Xenoblade Chronicles is 1st party.  Monolith Soft (the developers) are about 80% owned by Nintendo, they were purchased from Namco-Bandi back in 2007.

@Brendude13 - Xenoblade Chronicles is announced for Europe and is rumoured to come out in September.  Now with that price cut, it may be time to get another Wii, possibly?

100% yes.

The excellent thing is my mum likes the idea, thanks to Wii Fit and Mario I now don't have to pay for the console myself, my mum brought up the idea of buying a Wii before I did. =)

Crystalchild said:
kowenicki said:
Remove nintendo and what has Japan given interesting or innovative? Not much.

they introduced CD-Rom technology...   oh wait.

youre right, japan really did shine with games and good Hardware back then, but since almost 10 years, the leading Dev's are the westerners. Even Europe shines from time to time with Games like Crysis2 (Germany, w. lots of international developers), Assassins Creed (this is coming from france, or am i wrong?) , The Witcher (Poland), Killzone (netherlands ^_^.. i love that place, even if some of them dislike us germans a lot.. *g*.. yeah, soccer ftw) and more.  Yeah, Nintendo's Developers are the real Dude's over there right now. (We shall not forget Team Ico, Square, and whatnot.. but latter lacked a lot, too. And Team Ico isnt a HUGE company, they cant throw out a Game every 2 Years, even if they are supp't by Sony)

edit @ Doobie: Daaaaamn, youre actually right.. xD there is some cool stuff. (I think i, and others forgot because they arent as wellselling as Western FPS.. oh man. xD)

edit 2@Carl;

i think the point is, that Western Dev's are able to throw out technically Stunning Games ALOT faster than the Japanese equivalents. just look at the Time a Game takes over there that actually looks next gen, and then look at america.

Talking about Team Ico,  Ico is one of those Japanese games that everyone calls innovative and new while it was based on a Western (I think Uk) game.

You had to play as an hero who went into a map/castle to get to the princess and guide her out of it while solving puzzles and defending her against giant ants...  Change the ants and you Ico.   Calling Ico innovative on a retro gamers forum and you are going to be called the idiot of the forum.

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:
brendude13 said:
Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:

Give me a whole bunch of Western devs then, who have given interesting and innovative games. Please.

Haha, thanks, you beat me to it.

Mirror's edge, Borderlands, scribblenauts, Little big Planet, Call of duty MW, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Left4Dead, Portal, Red Dead redemption, Heavy Rain, L.A. Noire, Rockband?, (Crackdown/Prototype/infamous), Splosion man,Prey, Flower Braid, super meat boy?,Outland, Limbo, Trials HD, Skate, Dirt3, Peggle, divinity 2, (Gears of war 2 horde mode/halo firefight) harm's way, , Lara croft GoL, SplinterCellConvictioin, Alan wake, and a lot of others...

Some of them introduced stuff that is mindblowing others will be hardly noticed...

You failed to highlight the word "interesting".

I would say that only Little Big Planet, Portal and Heavy Rain are innovative in that list.

The rest are either bad games or take elements from other games.

I feel kind of sorry for you that you looked up all of those games just to make that list, it's obvious you didn't think of those off the top of your head.

You liking a game does not make it innovative.

Teo said:
FFXIII is the best selling RPG on the big 3 consoles, it is JRPG. It is obvious the early concentration of JRPGS on the 360 was a huge mistake, especially when many jrpg fans were buying PS3 because they thought it was going to be the JRPG console like PS2 before it. It was not, and this divided the JRPG consumers who decided to wait thinking the PS3 was going to get a many new IPs along with FF13. FFXIII-2 and Dark Souls sales in the coming year will prove the huge fanbase of jrpg fans that own a PS3.

^This is pretty much my thoughts on the subject. I don't know why developers think that regardless of the merit of the game or where their loyalties lied in previous generations, that if they release their games MP or on odd choice consoles they will flourish....

FFXIII sold over 6mill(low for an FF game tho) which is pretty good in a FPS centric Generation(UHG!).

Whats wrong with Japanese games these days? I will tell you...

-Japanese developers, STILL, in this day and age cannot get dubbs right for many of their games. We are past the stage where we just over look these faux pas, we have tasted greatness and now we demand it. I don't understand how FFXII can have a FLAWLESS script and VO work when FFXIII is a total hit and miss(Lightning/Sahz GREAT! Snow/Hope/Vanille...Cringe!).

-Wrong placement of hit titles or horendous delays: Vesperia on 360 exclusively in America???? Star Ocean 4 times exclusive????? FFXIII,Tekken 6, WKC's super long development time?

-Unfocused development and obssession with "Westernizing" popular franchises, or as I like to call it, "Bastarizing".

-Over all quality just lacking:I have to bring up FFXIII again, sry. DMC4, don't know what they were thinking with most of this game.

-Non existant advertizing of games in West.

-Development budgets that america would laugh at:See anything NIS makes or publishes.

There are probably many many more reasons but can't think of them right now. Fixing these issues? Well that demands an entire essay.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
Teo said:
FFXIII is the best selling RPG on the big 3 consoles, it is JRPG. It is obvious the early concentration of JRPGS on the 360 was a huge mistake, especially when many jrpg fans were buying PS3 because they thought it was going to be the JRPG console like PS2 before it. It was not, and this divided the JRPG consumers who decided to wait thinking the PS3 was going to get a many new IPs along with FF13. FFXIII-2 and Dark Souls sales in the coming year will prove the huge fanbase of jrpg fans that own a PS3.

^This is pretty much my thoughts on the subject. I don't know why developers think that regardless of the merit of the game or where their loyalties lied in previous generations, that if they release their games MP or on odd choice consoles they will flourish....

FFXIII sold over 6mill(low for an FF game tho) which is pretty good in a FPS centric Generation(UHG!).

Whats wrong with Japanese games these days? I will tell you...

-Japanese developers, STILL, in this day and age cannot get dubbs right for many of their games. We are past the stage where we just over look these faux pas, we have tasted greatness and now we demand it. I don't understand how FFXII can have a FLAWLESS script and VO work when FFXIII is a total hit and miss(Lightning/Sahz GREAT! Snow/Hope/Vanille...Cringe!).

-Wrong placement of hit titles or horendous delays: Vesperia on 360 exclusively in America???? Star Ocean 4 times exclusive????? FFXIII,Tekken 6, WKC's super long development time?

-Unfocused development and obssession with "Westernizing" popular franchises, or as I like to call it, "Bastarizing".

-Over all quality just lacking:I have to bring up FFXIII again, sry. DMC4, don't know what they were thinking with most of this game.

-Non existant advertizing of games in West.

-Development budgets that america would laugh at:See anything NIS makes or publishes.

There are probably many many more reasons but can't think of them right now. Fixing these issues? Well that demands an entire essay.

This, you basically just summed up almost every reason why Japanese games are dying.

It seems Japanese developers can only get the games right, not the marketting, the distribution or the development time etc.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
kowenicki said:

300 FPS from western developers are the innovation right ??

On topic :

hey square , fire wada and give me is job , i put those teams working in the hard

remake ff 7

kingdoms hearths 3

forget MMO

start FF 15 old school

all the teams working to finish versus

EPIC WIN , every person will be happy !!!

Yeah because those games are totally the same,  Mirrors edge, Borderlands, Left4Dead, Portal, Condemned, Chronicles of Riddick and go on...

FPS is just a way of how people like to play their games that not is only popular in shooters, many like it in Wrpgs/horror games and most race games fans prefer to play in FPS aswell.

And great you are enjoying innovatives games aswell with your  'Remake of FFVII, another KH, old school FF15 EPIC WIN)

Just face it the Japanese games industry is in decline and many of them are failing to make their games better and more popular..

Some J-gamers are making a fool of themself while they call the decline of the J-industry a lie while they bitch whole the time when a new J-games come out an older game of the series was better...   Fuck FFXIII!!  FFVI/FFVII/FFIX was better,  Fuck Resident Evil 5, Resident evil 4 is better,  Fuck Tekken 6, Tekken 3 is better,  Fuck Soul Calibur 4, Soul Calibur 2-3 was better,  Fuck Star ocean 4,  Star ocean 3 was better,  Fuck Ace combat 6, Ace combat 4 was better,  Fuck Twilight princess, Zelda OOT is better, Fuck Devil may cry 4, Devil may cry 3 is better.....And so on...

They also dished the Kingdom Hearts and the Dragon Quest franchise.

I guess they can still redeem themselves with TGS.

But Square-Enix being disappointing this gen is nothing new.