By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SQUARE ENIX on E3: " The Lack of Japanese titles was almost Humiliating"

chocoloco said:
NYANKS said:
chocoloco said:
Why does it matter if games are Eastern? i have enjoyed this gen more than any other and most of the games are Western, As long as you are having fun it should not matter. I do not feel bad at all for the guys who think everything Eastern is better because it is not.

No one said it was superior.  But there are obvious distinctions in Japanese games versus Western games, ranging from art design and style to cultural/social differences as well as different preferences regarding genre.  You could even claim there are fundamental differences regarding game design.

Very true, I just get annoyed at the people that act like there is something superior about Eastern games. I prefer to experience a game because it looks fun. I probably will not comment here again though because I don't mean to bring bad vibes. I just felt like this site is full of Japense supremicest gamers especially in the past and it just got annoyiong. PEACE

Well, I don't know about other devs but Nintendo is still pretty crazy good with their in-house games in general.

Around the Network

I'd rather the distinctions be blurred. (This does not mean the same). I'd rather developers try to make good games and incorporate good and unique elements anywhere they can get them. Instead of trying to be a certain way. (Not saying anyone, is or is not doing this).

It's also not a surprise for me. That Eidos titles Carried Square at E3. I l've liked their games as a whole better than square games (Though FF is my favorite series). Their managements been poor (Hence why they were bought buy square in the first place).... but so has a lot of big publishing houses at some point

FFXIII is the best selling RPG on the big 3 consoles, it is JRPG. It is obvious the early concentration of JRPGS on the 360 was a huge mistake, especially when many jrpg fans were buying PS3 because they thought it was going to be the JRPG console like PS2 before it. It was not, and this divided the JRPG consumers who decided to wait thinking the PS3 was going to get a many new IPs along with FF13. FFXIII-2 and Dark Souls sales in the coming year will prove the huge fanbase of jrpg fans that own a PS3.

I'd rather the distinctions be blurred. (This does not mean the same). I'd rather developers try to make good games and incorporate good and unique elements that they feel comfortable with influenced from anything. (MGS incorporates both western and japanese elements :)) Instead of trying to be a certain way. (Not saying anyone, is or is not doing this).

It's also not a surprise for me that eidos has carried square as a whole at E3. I'm actually excited to seeing Eidos supposedly doing well again (We'll see when their titles come out.

Though FF is my favorite series. I've liked eidos titles as a whole better.
But they had poor management (which is why square had to buy them). A lot of big publishing houses have management problems at some point or another. This includes square.

Fuck VGC

Around the Network

Fuck VGC

I can see why he'd be humiliated. He buys this struggling western publisher thinking it would add to Square's development teams. Then this publisher he bought ends up producing all of Square's big properties. Its got to be humiliating that the publisher you saved , saves you. I mean sure if Square had four or five Japanese titles it would be amazing, but its gotta be humiliating that a Japanese publisher is launching more western software then Japanese.

Can you imagine the day when Nintendo launches more western made Nintendo titles then Japanese? Now that would be a day that would go down in the history books!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I thought they were talking about Japanese games in general not SE themselves... cause there were plenty of Japanese games there.... But yeah when your typical Japanese game development cycles are 5+ years it seems... you probably WON'T have much to show off... they should have had DQX there it would have overshadowed half those titles he mentioned, or some Versus XIII I mean that was shown off in 2006 originally and went off the map... why is that?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I don't get all this 'Japanese game industry is falling behind the West' talk. The following are all very high profile IPs which are Japanese:

Mario

Zelda

Pokemon

Dragon Quest

Monster Hunter

PES/Winning Eleven

Mario Kart

Final Fantasy

Gran Turismo

Metal Gear Solid

Wii...

Nintendogs

Brain Training/Brain Age

Sonic

Super Smash Bros

This would dwarf a list of Western games. Hell, this gen Nintendo has made the best selling game of all time. I would even go as far as saying that Nintendo alone are ahead of the West in game quality, sales and design. The fact of the matter is that Japan still dominates the industry, not to the same extent it did, but it still does. Nintendo on their own are a gargantuan force to be reckoned with.

MrT-Tar said:
I don't get all this 'Japanese game industry is falling behind the West' talk. The following are all very high profile IPs which are Japanese:

Mario

Zelda

Pokemon

Dragon Quest

Monster Hunter

PES/Winning Eleven

Mario Kart

Final Fantasy

Gran Turismo

Metal Gear Solid

Wii...

Nintendogs

Brain Training/Brain Age

Sonic

Super Smash Bros

This would dwarf a list of Western games.

Call of Duty

World of Warcraft

The Sims

Grand Theft Auto

Halo

Starcraft

Assassin's Creed

FIFA

Warcraft

Star Wars

Battlefield

Gears of War