By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SQUARE ENIX on E3: " The Lack of Japanese titles was almost Humiliating"

Everything about Square-Enix is humiliating. I'm grateful to Wada for his admirable trolling of Playstation fanboys, but it's long past time for him to go.

Around the Network
chocoloco said:
Why does it matter if games are Eastern? 

They are better :P

Anyway, the lack of japanese titles at a western event was almost humiliating? How many western titles are released @ TGC

Additionally, which E3 was he watching? Sony and Nintendo made up nearly 90% of this E3, in terms of big games announced and talked about. That leaves 9% for Halo 4 and 1% for everything else put together.

As for why there wasn't much from Japanese third parties, I would say it's due to the fucked up release schedule S-E has, as much as anything. They release lots of big games withing a few months and then have nothing good for two years.

Cross-X said:
How could you fix it?

Fuckin release trailers of Versus XIII and Type-0 instead of being all 'secretive' and making fans wait fuckin years for more details. I mean fuck is it that hard to make a 2 min trailer of Versus XIII?

with this i agree.

@J titles; If Japanese dev's need 5 Years to make a game, its their fault. And yes, i dislike it too, but Square didnt show much either, just 1 title.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Maybe because they've all been announced, maybe because they have their own press conferences to announce all their games in (TGS), maybe they're deep into developing for the 3DS, PSV and Wii-U, maybe they don't feel the Western press and consumer enjoy or care about their games enough to show off.

I also don't buy the whole 'Japan has no games' thing that everyone has been spouting off, it'd be like saying that Sony don't have any games coming out because they didn't blow their whole load at E3. Dragons Dogma, Azura's Wrath, Anarchy Reigns, The Cursed Crusade, Armoured Core 5, Rock of Ages, Catherine, The Last Guardian, Dark Souls, Street Fighter vs Tekken, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Ace Combat: Assault Horizons, Tales of Graces, Shadow of the Damned, El Shaddai, Child of Eden, Metal Gear Rising, Ar Tonelico 3, Disgae 4, Sine Mora, Sonic Generations and Soul Calibur 5 are just a few Japanese games being released soon and that doesn't even count PSN/XBLA/PSP/3DS/Wii-U/PSV and the OS devices.

Do you know what the problem is? None of the games I've mentioned are generic military shooters, they are all unique and diverse and that's why the Western press or consumer doesn't care for them. Japan is still pumping out the most unique and interesting games, Japan also has large publishers that aren't posting a loss every year (unlike EA, THQ and also unlike the special Sqaure Enix). Japan has evolved, they've adopted the PSP and DS as their main platform and I'm sure the PSV and 3DS will end up being the same, but that doesn't mean that they aren't releasing heaps of console titles every year.

It's also odd that the whole Western world is being compared to one country, Japan is a small place, comparing them to Europe and North America is just ridiculous. Also, of course a Western game show is going to get a lot more Western games, I don't go to TGS and expect to see Call of Duty, Halo or Red Dead Redemption.

I'm done.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

kowenicki said:
Remove nintendo and what has Japan given interesting or innovative? Not much.

Give me a whole bunch of Western devs then, who have given interesting and innovative games. Please.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

they introduced CD-Rom technology...   oh wait.

youre right, japan really did shine with games and good Hardware back then, but since almost 10 years, the leading Dev's are the westerners. Even Europe shines from time to time with Games like Crysis2 (Germany, w. lots of international developers), Assassins Creed (this is coming from france, or am i wrong?) , The Witcher (Poland), Killzone (netherlands ^_^.. i love that place, even if some of them dislike us germans a lot.. *g*.. yeah, soccer ftw) and more.  Yeah, Nintendo's Developers are the real Dude's over there right now. (We shall not forget Team Ico, Square, and whatnot.. but latter lacked a lot, too. And Team Ico isnt a HUGE company, they cant throw out a Game every 2 Years, even if they are supp't by Sony)

edit @ Doobie: Daaaaamn, youre actually right.. xD there is some cool stuff. (I think i, and others forgot because they arent as wellselling as Western FPS.. oh man. xD)

edit 2@Carl;

i think the point is, that Western Dev's are able to throw out technically Stunning Games ALOT faster than the Japanese equivalents. just look at the Time a Game takes over there that actually looks next gen, and then look at america.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Slimebeast said:
MrT-Tar said:
I don't get all this 'Japanese game industry is falling behind the West' talk. The following are all very high profile IPs which are Japanese:

Mario

Zelda

Pokemon

Dragon Quest

Monster Hunter

PES/Winning Eleven

Mario Kart

Final Fantasy

Gran Turismo

Metal Gear Solid

Wii...

Nintendogs

Brain Training/Brain Age

Sonic

Super Smash Bros

This would dwarf a list of Western games.

Call of Duty

World of Warcraft

The Sims

Grand Theft Auto

Halo

Starcraft

Assassin's Creed

FIFA

Warcraft

Star Wars

Battlefield

Gears of War

Diablo

Elder Scrolls

Fallout

Uncharted

Madden

Age of Empires

God of War

Half-Life

Forza Motorsport

Tomb Raider

Bioshock

Mass Effect

Tom Clancy

Fable

Command & Conquer

I should've rephrased that.  I meant more on an impact and sales basis.  The biggest series are Japanese, in particular the mega triumvirate of Mario, Pokemon and Wii... 

No Western game this gen can match the likes of Wii Fit, NSMBWii, Nintendogs and Mario Kart DS/Wii in terms of sales.  Or Wii Sports in impact felt within this gen.  Quality of course is subjective (but IMO Japan is far ahead of the West there as well), but in pretty much every other aspect I can think of Japan is ahead of the West.  I really don't understand where this talk come from.

MrT-Tar said:

I should've rephrased that.  I meant more on an impact and sales basis.  The biggest series are Japanese, in particular the mega triumvirate of Mario, Pokemon and Wii... 

No Western game this gen can match the likes of Wii Fit, NSMBWii, Nintendogs and Mario Kart DS/Wii in terms of sales.  Or Wii Sports in impact felt within this gen.  Quality of course is subjective (but IMO Japan is far ahead of the West there as well), but in pretty much every other aspect I can think of Japan is ahead of the West.  I really don't understand where this talk come from.

This is also part of the problem though. As a publisher, Nintendo are the only Eastern publisher/developer having massive success with at least one multi-million selling title every year. Outside of Nintendo very few are getting anywhere. FFXIII has sold well but is only a single game in the series this gen and as much as I love PD (especially their post-release support) and GT5, the same is true for them.

On a side note it's worth considerring that Nintendo games tend to completely transcend cultural boundaries and have appeal in both Western and Eastern markets.

kowenicki said:

Remove Bioware, Blizzard, Valve, and some Sony first party studios and what the west has to offer thats interesting or innovative? Not much if you bar the indie developers on the PC...

OT: The lack of simply GAMES at this E3 was disturbing. Barely anything good passed through the spotlight.

@Everyone downplaying Japanese games - they are almost exclusively the ones you can call  straight up FUN these days. The west churns out tired shit with uninspired and recycled gameplay almost all the time. And don't get me started on the story or their *cough cough* art design.

Crystalchild said:

edit 2@Carl;

i think the point is, that Western Dev's are able to throw out technically Stunning Games ALOT faster than the Japanese equivalents. just look at the Time a Game takes over there that actually looks next gen, and then look at america.

So we're basing this on how videogames... Look?

Okay. Show me some technically stunning Western handheld games that are on par with Monster Hunter Portable 3, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, Valkyria 2/3, TWEWY, Dissidia/2, Kingdom Hearts BBS, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Ninokuni, God Eater...

The list could go on. Do you know what I'm getting at with this list though? I'm going to tell you.

Japanese development isn't solely aimed at home consoles. A whole bunch of Japanese dev time/money goes on Portables. A lot more than what comes from Western devs. They don't just stick to PS3/360 to go after the graphics whores...