By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official NPD March 11' Thread (Data at 6:30 PM EST for 5 wks to 4/2/11)

ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:


That's not what that means, that means that Playstation "Family" as a whole saw double digits increase, it doesn't necessarily mean they all saw increase of at least 10%. For example, assuming your numbers are correct, the PS2 could be down or flat YOY and PS3 PSP could be up YOY by 28% each and the Playstation "Family" would still be up YOY by double digits percentage. Capisce?

Sony responds to the NPD report but doesn't issue any specific PS3 sales data.

Sony Computer Entertainment America has just released its NPD statement, responding to NPD's March report. The company noted that the overall PlayStation business saw some significant growth, but the company didn't provide any specific sales information. 

"According to the latest NPD report, PlayStation saw double digit growth across hardware and peripherals, signaling continued momentum for the PlayStation platform and consumer demand for immersive 3D and precision motion game play," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.

"Led today by the PlayStation Move motion controller, Move accessories and the deep lineup of Move-compatible software titles, PlayStation peripherals have now achieved double-digit growth for 19 consecutive months, according to NPD. People are loving the gaming experience provided by true stereoscopic 3D and PlayStation Move, and we'll up the ante next week with the release ofSOCOM 4: US Navy Seals."

 

Bolded shows that it's hardware AND peripherals that saw double digits increase. PS3 accounts for most of the sales of that playstation family, PSP had a price cut, and The Source is right, NPD said PS2 didn't increase. So the PS3 most likely saw a double digit increase and PSP likely.

Anyway double digit growth for 19 consecutive months... that means that if they sold 80,000 peripherals in that first month, now they sold  AT LEAST 490,000... that's ridiculous!


Why are you quoting me to post that?

Because you were right about the PS2 but what I posted makes it clearer to understand, concering that "playstation family" increase, that's all.



Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:
ethomaz said:

4k1x3r said:

Anyway double digit growth for 19 consecutive months... that means that if they sold 80,000 peripherals in that first month, now they sold  AT LEAST 490,000... that's ridiculous!

But there are no Move 19 months ago.


That's ALL peripherals. 

And? How does it contradict what I said? I'm not saying it's move, the DS3 or anything else, I'm just pointing out that whatever the peripherals were sold, the increase is ridiculous.

And ethomaz just pointed out that there was no Move last year, so the Move helped peripherals increase.



4k1x3r said:
ethomaz said:

4k1x3r said:

Anyway double digit growth for 19 consecutive months... that means that if they sold 80,000 peripherals in that first month, now they sold  AT LEAST 490,000... that's ridiculous!

But there are no Move 19 months ago.

Yea you're right, but still, I calculated for 30k that first month and that's over 180k now, still the increase is huge, and maybe means that Move is doing better than we think.

That's my point... The Move give a good increasing in peripherals sales.



4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
ethomaz said:

4k1x3r said:

Anyway double digit growth for 19 consecutive months... that means that if they sold 80,000 peripherals in that first month, now they sold  AT LEAST 490,000... that's ridiculous!

But there are no Move 19 months ago.


That's ALL peripherals. 

And? How does it contradict what I said? I'm not saying it's move, the DS3 or anything else, I'm just pointing out that whatever the peripherals were sold, the increase is ridiculous.

And ethomaz just pointed out that there was no Move last year, so the Move helped peripherals increase.


Hence why I quoted him, not you :)



ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
ethomaz said:

4k1x3r said:

Anyway double digit growth for 19 consecutive months... that means that if they sold 80,000 peripherals in that first month, now they sold  AT LEAST 490,000... that's ridiculous!

But there are no Move 19 months ago.


That's ALL peripherals. 

And? How does it contradict what I said? I'm not saying it's move, the DS3 or anything else, I'm just pointing out that whatever the peripherals were sold, the increase is ridiculous.

And ethomaz just pointed out that there was no Move last year, so the Move helped peripherals increase.


Hence why I quoted him, not you :)

Hence why I explained what ethomaz meant because I wasn't sure, ethomaz just added a point to what I said.

Btw, you still serious with the prediction in your sig?....



Around the Network
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
ethomaz said:

4k1x3r said:

Anyway double digit growth for 19 consecutive months... that means that if they sold 80,000 peripherals in that first month, now they sold  AT LEAST 490,000... that's ridiculous!

But there are no Move 19 months ago.


That's ALL peripherals. 

And? How does it contradict what I said? I'm not saying it's move, the DS3 or anything else, I'm just pointing out that whatever the peripherals were sold, the increase is ridiculous.

And ethomaz just pointed out that there was no Move last year, so the Move helped peripherals increase.


Hence why I quoted him, not you :)

Hence why I explained what ethomaz meant because I wasn't sure, ethomaz just added a point to what I said.

Btw, you still serious with the prediction in your sig?....


Let's not talk about that. I will say this, my gf and I are having a blast playing the 3DS :)



AMAZING PS3 sales, being up YOY despite  Heavy Rain, FFXIII, GOW3 and contiunued slim/price cut momentum from last year being there.

A price cut will further propel the system called the PS3 that has made the biggest comeback in gaming history!!!1

Terrible Wii sales

Amazing Xbox 360 Sales

But the star of the show has got to be the DS, pulling those numbers as 3DS stumbles out of the starting line.



All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

One thing to watch in April will be if Wii finally drops below 50,000 / week for the first time ever.

Here is what I have for historical data by the way:

            Month 42-53     Month 54-65

Wii          6.71m              

X360       4.83m             7.02m

PS3         ~4.41m

PS2          5.03m            5.07m

Xbox       1.82m            negligible

GC           1.55m             0.64m

 

LTD US HW FIgures (Roughly):

DS - 48.8m (Nov 2004 - Nov 2009 to reach 35.4m / 60 Months)

PS2 - 45.9m (Oct 2000 - Nov 2006 to reach 35.4m / 74 Months)

Wii - 35.3m (Nov 2006 - March 2011 to reach 35.3m / 53 Months)

X360 - 26.7m

PSP - 18.6m

PS3 - 16.1m

3DS - 0.4m



People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Good, so 360 and PS3 look ok, 

3DS a bit off, Wii a lot off.



I'm not really here!


Some guys on gaf were comparing 3DS to PSP, which released in the US on March 24th, 2005 at $249.  Apparently the PSP did 620k that first month.

Edited to clarify dates.