By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official NPD March 11' Thread (Data at 6:30 PM EST for 5 wks to 4/2/11)

ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
postofficebuddy said:

Am I the only one that finds it quite impressive that PS3 is up YOY despite last March having FFXIII/GOW3/continued price cut momentum?


Shortages last March.

But still, last year it had the price cut and the the new model wave to help it, this year it had nothing like that.

Can't sell consoles if there are none in the store to be sold.

*sigh* We'll see next quarter what happens, because if there was shortages in a quarter, the following quarter will have an increase in sales if the shortages are solved, so see you in 3 months to see what happens.



Around the Network
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
postofficebuddy said:

Am I the only one that finds it quite impressive that PS3 is up YOY despite last March having FFXIII/GOW3/continued price cut momentum?

No you're not the only one.

BTW X360 had the best incrase right (28%) so the PS3 sold anything between 313k and 402k. Pretty nice.


No. The 360 was the top console sold, so PS3 is between 320k and 433k, I don't know where you got 313k from, the PS3 sold 319.9k last March

Microsoft said there is an increase of 28% and that was the best increase. So the PS3 can not have a increase bigger than 28% with a bit of logic, and my 313k comes from VGC.com...

I didn't know the official numbers (319k), my bad, but tone it down next time :)


Nevermind, you're right, I'm wrong, those March '11 numbers are from NPD, so the PS3 is between 314k and 432.9k.



4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
postofficebuddy said:

Am I the only one that finds it quite impressive that PS3 is up YOY despite last March having FFXIII/GOW3/continued price cut momentum?


Shortages last March.

But still, last year it had the price cut and the the new model wave to help it, this year it had nothing like that.

Can't sell consoles if there are none in the store to be sold.

*sigh* We'll see next quarter what happens, because if there was shortages in a quarter, the following quarter will have an increase in sales if the shortages are solved, so see you in 3 months to see what happens.

I was talking about shortages in March 2010 for the PS3.



The official number was 313.9k from March 2010.  I'm guessing the .9 is what threw him off.



4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
postofficebuddy said:

Am I the only one that finds it quite impressive that PS3 is up YOY despite last March having FFXIII/GOW3/continued price cut momentum?

No you're not the only one.

BTW X360 had the best incrase right (28%) so the PS3 sold anything between 313k and 402k. Pretty nice.


No. The 360 was the top console sold, so PS3 is between 320k and 433k, I don't know where you got 313k from, the PS3 sold 319.9k last March

Microsoft said there is an increase of 28% and that was the best increase. So the PS3 can not have a increase bigger than 28% with a bit of logic, and my 313k comes from VGC.com...

I didn't know the official numbers (319k), my bad, but tone it down next time :)

Well, if his number is correct, then looks like someone made a typo with that 3rd 3.

Edit:  Nevermind, he made an error.



Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
4k1x3r said:
ElGranCabeza said:
postofficebuddy said:

Am I the only one that finds it quite impressive that PS3 is up YOY despite last March having FFXIII/GOW3/continued price cut momentum?


Shortages last March.

But still, last year it had the price cut and the the new model wave to help it, this year it had nothing like that.

Can't sell consoles if there are none in the store to be sold.

*sigh* We'll see next quarter what happens, because if there was shortages in a quarter, the following quarter will have an increase in sales if the shortages are solved, so see you in 3 months to see what happens.

I was talking about shortages in March 2010 for the PS3.

That's why I said see you in 3 months, because the PS3 is up without the slim/price cut/good games release "momentum", but you say it's because there was shortages last year, which resulted in a great Q1 2010 for Sony (April-June, not Jan-March, that's Q4 2009), now if we have an even grater Q1 2011 for Sony this year, that means that the PS3 is up even if there were shortages last year.

BTW:

"Xbox 360 console sales were up 28 percent year over year, the largest growth of any current generation console on the market."

See? 28% SO, the PS3 is anything between 313 and 402k, is it that hard to understand?



Yeah, PS3 looks like it dropped to at least 80k / week this month from 100k / week based on Microsoft's claim of seeing the most console growth (28%)



People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

Yeah, PS3 looks like it dropped to at least 80k / week this month from 100k / week based on Microsoft's claim of seeing the most console growth (28%)

If March 2011 for NPD is 5 weeks, then 433,000/5 is 86,600k/w, the PS3 is at 80,400k/w at most.



So how close are Vgchartz numbers compared to NPD's? Which consoles are undertracked/overtracked?



yo_john117 said:

So how close are Vgchartz numbers compared to NPD's? Which consoles are undertracked/overtracked?

360 was spot on.
3DS was about 200k overtracked.
Wii was about 90k overtracked.
DS was 44k undertracked.
PS3/PSP/PS2 we don't know yet.