By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official NPD March 11' Thread (Data at 6:30 PM EST for 5 wks to 4/2/11)

makingmusic476 said:

Some guys on gaf were comparing 3DS to PSP, which released in the US on March 24th, 2005 at $249.  Apparently the PSP did 620k that first month.

Edited to clarify dates.

I think, a lot of people think 3DS is just another DS model.

My neice certainly did ...



 

Around the Network
Seece said:
makingmusic476 said:

Some guys on gaf were comparing 3DS to PSP, which released in the US on March 24th, 2005 at $249.  Apparently the PSP did 620k that first month.

Edited to clarify dates.

I think, a lot of people think 3DS is just another DS model.

My neice certainly did ...


And that's not just limited to little children!

From Bloomberg:

Combined with three older models, Nintendo sold 860,000 DS units in March, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said, citing figures from industry tracker NPD Group Inc. A year ago, Nintendo sold 701,000 DS handhelds.

400,000 3DS & 460,000 DS (darn plus sign)

I envision "DS Units" becoming the new "PlayStation Family" lol.



Seece said:
makingmusic476 said:

Some guys on gaf were comparing 3DS to PSP, which released in the US on March 24th, 2005 at $249.  Apparently the PSP did 620k that first month.

Edited to clarify dates.

I think, a lot of people think 3DS is just another DS model.

My neice certainly did ...

I said a while before release that a lot of people could end up seeing it that way



                            

makingmusic476 said:
Seece said:
makingmusic476 said:

Some guys on gaf were comparing 3DS to PSP, which released in the US on March 24th, 2005 at $249.  Apparently the PSP did 620k that first month.

Edited to clarify dates.

I think, a lot of people think 3DS is just another DS model.

My neice certainly did ...


And that's not just limited to little children!

From Bloomberg:

Combined with three older models, Nintendo sold 860,000 DS units in March, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said, citing figures from industry tracker NPD Group Inc. A year ago, Nintendo sold 701,000 DS handhelds.

400,000 3DS & 460,000 DS (darn plus sign)

I envision "DS Units" becoming the new "PlayStation Family" lol.

At least it's only limited to handheld lol, Playstation Family was just plain embarrassing to use. 




^^^ only goes to prove that to the mainstream, the journalists, the investors, graphics do not matter.



“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
makingmusic476 said:

Some guys on gaf were comparing 3DS to PSP, which released in the US on March 24th, 2005 at $249.  Apparently the PSP did 620k that first month.

Edited to clarify dates.

I think, a lot of people think 3DS is just another DS model.

My neice certainly did ...

I said a while before release that a lot of people could end up seeing it that way

Excuses - if it released alongside Mario Kart 3DS I assure you people would knew it's new console and buy it ;)



PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:

Excuses - if it released alongside Mario Kart 3DS I assure you people would knew it's new console and buy it ;)

Nintendogs outsold Mario Kart on the original DS.

Nintendogs and Cats released alongside the 3DS.

Surely Nintendogs should have also had the huge system selling effect?



                            

Carl2291 said:
Zlejedi said:

Excuses - if it released alongside Mario Kart 3DS I assure you people would knew it's new console and buy it ;)

Nintendogs outsold Mario Kart on the original DS.

Nintendogs and Cats released alongside the 3DS.

Surely Nintendogs should have also had the huge system selling effect?


The problem is Nintendogs was one game, it could have been one hit wonder, while Mario Kart generally does really well. I wonder if any other game was a one hit wonder.....

Honestly speaking, I don't think I would buy a pet simulater twice. 



 

Acevil said:

The problem is Nintendogs was one game, it could have been one hit wonder, while Mario Kart generally does really well. 

Honestly speaking, I don't think I would buy a pet simulater twice. 

I honestly don't think a one hit wonder has legs like Nintendogs did

Maybe I'm wrong though, and people just don't want another one... Meh.



                            

Carl2291 said:
Acevil said:

The problem is Nintendogs was one game, it could have been one hit wonder, while Mario Kart generally does really well. 

Honestly speaking, I don't think I would buy a pet simulater twice. 

I honestly don't think a one hit wonder has legs like Nintendogs did

Maybe I'm wrong though, and people just don't want another one... Meh.


By the way, that is what I meant by one hit wonder, no one wants the next installment.