By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rock Band 3? Flop? The death of a genre?

Severance said:
oniyide said:

@severance  IMHO that should have been done a while ago. I think at this point people just are not interested. The real guitar thing is great. I also love DJ Hero but Activison waited to long, that should have came out at the height of the genre's popularity, now good games will flop due to over saturation

or maybe people are waiting for the holidays?

Which means it has no fan base other than holiday shoppers?

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network

This is what happens when the industry gets its grip around a mega hit.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Good riddance

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Expect the same to happen to Just Dance 5

Above: still the best game of the year.

Harmonix has never been kind to Europe or Australia, wait till the US numbers come in, then we can declare a national tragedy. 

That said, it is disappointing to see the entire genre go to hell in only a few years, Harmonix has almost always put out AAA titles, and they got bunched in with Guitar Hero...

Ah well, I guess this will be the last game...at least DLC is still selling really well.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Can someone explain to me why people hate Guitar Hero and Rock Band so much? And I want REAL answers, not just "there's too many of them", becuase then I'll point you to the FPS genre.  It can't be the whole "well these people think they can really play", becuase they don't, and for that matter Rock Band 3 actually DOES teach you the same thing...oh, and when was the last time someone said "those Call of Duty gamers suck, they think they're real counterterrorists" or "oh, those Gran Turismo gamers suck, they think they can really race"? 

So why the hate?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Wonder if Dance Central will be their next big franchise then!

The point someone made about just sticking with last years copy is still redundant with me (Guitar Hero World Tour was my first music game, and in no hurry to get another)

Rock Band 3 does seem to have made progress in gameplay but with the genre looking bleak out it might come to much except an extremely large development bill. DJ Hero 2 looks very interesting but as a student (and this point is quite relevant in the current economic situation) the huge price tag for the game bundle is a major turnoff. The Guitar and Band bundles for Guitar Hero/Rock Band have the same effect, and certainly will put off people who are sitting on the fence.

And although those numbers for Rock Band do suck, that is just the UK. Factor in the rest of Europe and America and Im sure they will be look (a bit) better. fair chance it will still manage to outdo Guitar Hero 6, which has pretty much nothing new expect for songs and a redesigned guitar controller. Think that series will be officially dead within 2 years

What? People don't want to buy the same game three times? Astounding.

One part of me is like "that is great news", but another part of me is like "that is bad for the industry".