By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rock Band 3? Flop? The death of a genre?

Lets bear in mind its a very high priced item with the new instruments.

A lot of people are likely waiting for the holidays.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Holiday legs is still yet to be seen.

It's just that simple.

Couldn't happen to a nicer genre.

If the UK was anything like Ireland it's sales could be partly blamed on how impossible it was to find a copy. I got the keyboard on launch day, I had to go to every store in the city centre to find it

Sucks that it sold so little though, it's easily the best music game ever made, playing keyboards is so  much fun and such a great challenge

And it stands at 94 on metacritic.

I blame Guitar Hero for being way too much milked.

Around the Network

Well not surprised the PS3 numbers are so abysmal, considering how Harmonix kept favouring the Xbox with their previous installations and thus making sure no PS3 fanbase would grow around their games.

I got quite a few music games, bought GH: World Tour and Greatest Hits on release, got Rock Band and RB: Beatles for about 15GBP each long after release. While I do enjoy them and they are fun to play when you have people over (expect the neighbour complaining about the sound from the drums) there doesn't seem to be enough songs I want to play on the newer games, and especially the Beatles game felt like a rip-off, so many of the most famous songs missing, kinda ironic that there was a Penny Lane trophy but not song. So no RB3 for me (nor did I bother with latest GH game either), maybe if I see them in a bargain bin for a tenner next year I am game.

Wii doesn't sell core games confirmed!

Tease.

oniyide said:

@severance  IMHO that should have been done a while ago. I think at this point people just are not interested. The real guitar thing is great. I also love DJ Hero but Activison waited to long, that should have came out at the height of the genre's popularity, now good games will flop due to over saturation

or maybe people are waiting for the holidays?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Finally.  This is one (sub)genre I won't miss.

Uraeus said:

While I do enjoy them and they are fun to play when you have people over (expect the neighbour complaining about the sound from the drums) there doesn't seem to be enough songs I want to play on the newer games,

That's the beauty of rock band though because you can import your songs from your old games and all the DLC still works too; it's more about building a great library of music to play.