By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rock Band 3? Flop? The death of a genre?

I reiterate, can someone explain to me why so many people hate these games and want them to fail?  What Guitar Hero did to the genre was no different from what Halo or MAdden or Need for Speed do every year, so why do people have some sort of hardon for wishing ill on these people who just want to make a genuinely good product so they can feed their families.

I hate activision, mostly becuase of Bobby Kotick, but I still buy their games becuase frankly there's a LOT of hard working people just trying to make a great game for a paychque, not their fault their boss is a douche flooding the market with trash...

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

I reiterate, can someone explain to me why so many people hate these games and want them to fail?  What Guitar Hero did to the genre was no different from what Halo or MAdden or Need for Speed do every year, so why do people have some sort of hardon for wishing ill on these people who just want to make a genuinely good product so they can feed their families.

I hate activision, mostly becuase of Bobby Kotick, but I still buy their games becuase frankly there's a LOT of hard working people just trying to make a great game for a paychque, not their fault their boss is a douche flooding the market with trash...

Because the mindset of people here is "if game X doesn't apply to me, it shouldn't be made." Am I calling people here selfish? Yeah, I am. Anybody who wants a genre to die because they don't like it has a pole up their butt way too far. I'm sure a lot of people here feel the same way about first person shooters.

OT: Americas numbers will be a lot better. I have to lol at calling something a flop before the numbers in the biggest region are reported.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Grimes said:
Simulacrum said:
Grimes said:

295 Wii copies is ridiculously bad. You could probably release a potty training game and sell more copies. That is a slap in the face, sock to the gut, knee to the groin, all at once.

Hmm..Thats our Wii.

It's not like the PS3 is lighting it up either. Even the 360 numbers are pathetic. That being said, MTV/Harmonix totally neglected the Wii in past versions, so I guess it's coming back to bite them in the ass.

You know the hardware difference in uk right?

Take my love, take my land..

I don't know really, why is it expected to do well? The hype for those games is gone and the previous one is enough for a casual friends over party night, there's enough DLC for it to keep the playlist fresh even if you play a lot. It will still sell some on account of the new tracks.

Real instruments are a nice addition (especially that Fender Squier that's for once a real guitar indeed, the ones with the buttons looks kind of bleh), but the learning curve for pro mode won't attract that many, and the instruments are also expensive.

See the problem is they are ditching the whole fakeguitar aspect now. Most people really, 99% of those who play don't care about "pro" instruments of any kind and play as casual gamers. So RB3 is selling pro sh** so, of course the selling point to casual players is going down. That and they saturate the market with games, with dumb ones like Beatles and Green Day to make a buck on the side and kill their own genre.

Around the Network
toMsons7551 said:

See the problem is they are ditching the whole fakeguitar aspect now. Most people really, 99% of those who play don't care about "pro" instruments of any kind and play as casual gamers. So RB3 is selling pro sh** so, of course the selling point to casual players is going down. That and they saturate the market with games, with dumb ones like Beatles and Green Day to make a buck on the side and kill their own genre.

wait, beatles was a crummy side game?  your opinion is void from here on out.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

leatherhat said:

Good riddance

No it teaches you real guitar now, Rock Band 3 innovates in just about every way....if you like music then this is a game you will want to pick up!

Horrible numbers all around BUT 0_0 wii numbers are abysmal!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

toMsons7551 said:

They aren't ditching the fake guitar thing.  They still have it but they added in so so much more in terms of features.

I know I'm not getting it until Christmas when I have extra cash to get the real instruments. Maybe others are doing the same.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo