By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is SE favoring Microsoft a lot more this gen?

hikaruchan said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

Just throwing this out there, but isn't the current problem right now in Japan that the major publishers outside of Capcom failed to put games on the Wii or PS3 and made a bunch of exclusives (timed or otherwise) on the 360 only?  I mean from before Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Trusty Bell (U.S. name escapes me right now), Ace Combat 5, all on the 360?  Why?  What good did that do Namco and Square?  Square single handedly killed Star Ocean with that timed exclusive on the 360.  I mean I'm not saying they shouldn't have been on the 360 but there's no reason a PS3 version should not have been made, get your sales in Japan first and then worry about the rest of the world.  Like, not disagreeing with you cause Wada probably believes this, but Japan's console state is all his and Namco's fault if you ask me.

I'm not sure about Namco, since the combined sales of Tales of Vesperia are some of the highest in the Tales series. (870,000; higher then Abyss, Graces, Hearts, Destiny, Legendia, Eternia, and . . . well, actually pretty much every Tales besides Symphonia)

My beef with SE and Namco this gen is that Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant, and Infinite Undiscvoery were all miserably decent games. I don't know if it's the 360's fault they sold so bad, or simply because they just aren't that good. Eternal Sonata especially . . . ugh. Terrible.

Tales of Vesperia was better then all of them combined, and although it sold better then most JRPGs this gen, it didn't get all the sales it deserved, in my opinion. Also Namco: I know you don't think the Tales of series will sell over here in the West but . . . come on-- we really want Graces over here.

Yes Vesparia's sales are higher yes, but how much higher would it have been if they had the PS3 version ready alongside the 360 version?  Probably a lot higher, I'd wager their PS3 sales would have been doubled what they were.  Though it could easily not have been.  Still I kinda hope what that artist said was a true story and they got screwed over with their exclusive deal with MS.

Here I'd have to disagree with you, if for no other reason then the fact that Tales of Graces, which actually got marginally better scores then Vesperia sold only 220,000 throughout its entire life, and was on the highest selling home console in Japan at the time. Also, word of mouth about Vesperia was apparently very strong; at least, critical word of mouth was. 

Granted, though, my disagreeing with you is of a very thin nature-- I only disagree that it would have sold twice it's current amount, since that would make it roughly 1.6 mil if you meant worldwide, or over 1.2 mil(rounded) if you just included Japan PS3 sales. Thats more then any Tales game has ever sold, and while it'd be awesome, spectacular, incredible, and a large list of other positive adjectives if sales had been that high, it'd be extremely unlikely.

I'm not familiar with the artist story, so I can't comment on it. Can you link me to it?

I mean double their japanese sales not worldwide.  But who knows world wide, PS3 version would have released in the rest of the world and even 100k in the U.S. and 100k in the EMAA would be a decent boost.  I read the artist news from Sankaku Complex, so it's not safe for work, and it was a developer not an artist.  Here's the Link: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/09/16/microsoft-funds-ps3-game-development/

since it's not safe for work here's the paragraph:

“First off, it was easier developing for the Xbox 360. This is to do with the games I was involved with, but basically if you sign an exclusive contract with Microsoft (you won’t release it on other hardware for a year or similar), they will give you a lot of cash for development.

Their support is also very fast and complete in these cases.

SCE don’t really give much cash out (any at all perhaps). Their support is confused and unreliable. When I was doing it at least, the 360 was easier to develop for, which lowers costs.

As a result, first you develop for the Xbox, reducing development costs. But the Xbox version won’t sell [in Japan], you can’t recoup even those lowered costs at all.

So they ported to the PS3, it’s cheaper as you already have the game done, but then Sony came back and told them ‘We won’t recognise it if it’s the same as the Xbox 360 version. Make sure you put in a lot of extra stuff!’

If we didn’t then they wouldn’t have let us pass their check…”

So pretty much Sony won't let any delayed game come out without extra content, this happened to Bioshock, the reason why Last Remnant PS3 will never be finished, etc.  So Namco made that 1 year exclusive deal that MS makes with devs but the 360's sales won't cover the cost they need the PS3 version to cover the cost and well you can't release the game without extra content so they had to waste money on extra content and the port so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make any money on the game now.  If they just made the PS3 version with the 360 version there would have been more sales on the PS3 version in Japan (Maybe even more hardware sales of PS3 increasing the install base there), an English version of the game ready on the PS3 for release everywhere in the world, so more sales for the game, they wouldn't have had to make extra content for the game and well a PS3 version of the game will probably never get released here now cause of the deal they made with MS.  I'm sure MS made the same deal with Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, and Star Ocean 4 and what happened to those games?  And people wonder why console sales are so low in Japan, I wonder why too /sarcasm.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/10/22/vesperia-devs-thank-xbox-360-beta-testers/

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I bought the 360 version, that's a huge slap to the face.  Hell I doubt I'd buy any Tales game again after that, using your fanbase, forcing them to buy 360s to play a game that's "Exclusively on Xbox" just to slap them in the face with a better version on the PS3.  I said it before, but jap devs wonder why "Japan's dead" when it comes to gaming, no shit you treat your customers like trash that's why.

Around the Network
Shadowblind said:

Here I'd have to disagree with you, if for no other reason then the fact that Tales of Graces, which actually got marginally better scores then Vesperia sold only 220,000 throughout its entire life, and was on the highest selling home console in Japan at the time. Also, word of mouth about Vesperia was apparently very strong; at least, critical word of mouth was. 

Granted, though, my disagreeing with you is of a very thin nature-- I only disagree that it would have sold twice it's current amount, since that would make it roughly 1.6 mil if you meant worldwide, or over 1.2 mil(rounded) if you just included Japan PS3 sales. Thats more then any Tales game has ever sold, and while it'd be awesome, spectacular, incredible, and a large list of other positive adjectives if sales had been that high, it'd be extremely unlikely.

I'm not familiar with the artist story, so I can't comment on it. Can you link me to it?

Graces' sales were a result of Namco doing its best to draw the Tales fanbase to two other consoles earlier in the generation.

The ultimate issue facing the Japanese industry, as has been touched upon somewhat indirectly earlier in this thread, is that there is no PS2-like home console this generation.  Third parties split up the market by spreading their products across three different consoles, strangely putting the most effort early on into a console everybody knew would be doomed to failure in the region in the long run.  Given the market they've created, they are now essentially required to increase development costs by going multiplatform with every game, and yet even when doing this they still aren't guaranteed the sales they once enjoyed with the PS2.

Had Japanese developers centered their focus on either Wii or PS3 at the start of this generation, the marketplace would be much healthier for all involved.

Well as it was pointed out before Infinite Undiscovery isn't really an SE game. It's a MS ip. MS commissioned Tri-Ace to make the game. They were going to publish the game but they probably figured it would sell better with under the SE banner. I think a lot of the RPGs hitting 360 simply had to do with the head start. They were probably already underway for 360 before the developers got a hold of PS3 dev kits. I know that was the case with Tales of Vesperia.

makingmusic476 said:
Shadowblind said:

Graces' sales were a result of Namco doing its best to draw the Tales fanbase to two other consoles earlier in the generation.

The ultimate issue facing the Japanese industry, as has been touched upon somewhat indirectly earlier in this thread, is that there is no PS2-like home console this generation.  Third parties split up the market by spreading their products across three different consoles, strangely putting the most effort early on into a console everybody knew would be doomed to failure in the region in the long run.  Given the market they've created, they are now essentially required to increase development costs by going multiplatform with every game, and yet even when doing this they still aren't guaranteed the sales they once enjoyed with the PS2.

You have to rember though the Microsoft wonted the XBOX 360 to be the "new PS2" This Gen so they though a lot of money at Bandai-Namco and Square-Enix to try and win Japan. and SEGA was making VC for XBOX360 and after about a year of development shifted to PS3. 

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

hikaruchan said:
makingmusic476 said:
Shadowblind said:

You have to rember though the Microsoft wonted the XBOX 360 to be the "new PS2" This Gen so they though a lot of money at Bandai-Namco and Square-Enix to try and win Japan. and SEGA was making VC for XBOX360 and after about a year of development shifted to PS3. 

why did sega shift development for valkyria chronicles?? did they realize that xbox will probably never dominate japan?? well i guess if xbox 360got valkyria chronicles then it mihgt really have been the jrpg king

Around the Network

Hey Microsoft had to get Japanese developers to make titles for their platform somehow. Sony didn't have to pay off Japanese developers when they entered the market because the Japanese developers were already pissed off with Nintendo for taking too long to release the N64 and using expensive carts with limited storage over CDs.

@Loves2splooge

Sony did pay third parties during the PS1 era to keep third parties from making titles for the Saturn. The Saturn was actually outselling the PS1 in Japan initially. It wasn't until FFVII launched in Japan that the PS1 took a permanent lead over the Saturn in the region.

i dont think so your delusional lol jk

Darc Requiem said:

@Loves2splooge

Sony did pay third parties during the PS1 era to keep third parties from making titles for the Saturn. The Saturn was actually outselling the PS1 in Japan initially. It wasn't until FFVII launched in Japan that the PS1 took a permanent lead over the Saturn in the region.

and Squaresoft/Square-Enix signed a exclusive 10 year deal hat ended in about 2007.  

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

anything is more then nothing