By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is SE favoring Microsoft a lot more this gen?

Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

Just throwing this out there, but isn't the current problem right now in Japan that the major publishers outside of Capcom failed to put games on the Wii or PS3 and made a bunch of exclusives (timed or otherwise) on the 360 only?  I mean from before Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Trusty Bell (U.S. name escapes me right now), Ace Combat 5, all on the 360?  Why?  What good did that do Namco and Square?  Square single handedly killed Star Ocean with that timed exclusive on the 360.  I mean I'm not saying they shouldn't have been on the 360 but there's no reason a PS3 version should not have been made, get your sales in Japan first and then worry about the rest of the world.  Like, not disagreeing with you cause Wada probably believes this, but Japan's console state is all his and Namco's fault if you ask me.

I'm not sure about Namco, since the combined sales of Tales of Vesperia are some of the highest in the Tales series. (870,000; higher then Abyss, Graces, Hearts, Destiny, Legendia, Eternia, and . . . well, actually pretty much every Tales besides Symphonia)

My beef with SE and Namco this gen is that Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant, and Infinite Undiscvoery were all miserably decent games. I don't know if it's the 360's fault they sold so bad, or simply because they just aren't that good. Eternal Sonata especially . . . ugh. Terrible.

Tales of Vesperia was better then all of them combined, and although it sold better then most JRPGs this gen, it didn't get all the sales it deserved, in my opinion. Also Namco: I know you don't think the Tales of series will sell over here in the West but . . . come on-- we really want Graces over here.

Yes Vesparia's sales are higher yes, but how much higher would it have been if they had the PS3 version ready alongside the 360 version?  Probably a lot higher, I'd wager their PS3 sales would have been doubled what they were.  Though it could easily not have been.  Still I kinda hope what that artist said was a true story and they got screwed over with their exclusive deal with MS.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

Just throwing this out there, but isn't the current problem right now in Japan that the major publishers outside of Capcom failed to put games on the Wii or PS3 and made a bunch of exclusives (timed or otherwise) on the 360 only?  I mean from before Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Trusty Bell (U.S. name escapes me right now), Ace Combat 5, all on the 360?  Why?  What good did that do Namco and Square?  Square single handedly killed Star Ocean with that timed exclusive on the 360.  I mean I'm not saying they shouldn't have been on the 360 but there's no reason a PS3 version should not have been made, get your sales in Japan first and then worry about the rest of the world.  Like, not disagreeing with you cause Wada probably believes this, but Japan's console state is all his and Namco's fault if you ask me.

I'm not sure about Namco, since the combined sales of Tales of Vesperia are some of the highest in the Tales series. (870,000; higher then Abyss, Graces, Hearts, Destiny, Legendia, Eternia, and . . . well, actually pretty much every Tales besides Symphonia)

My beef with SE and Namco this gen is that Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant, and Infinite Undiscvoery were all miserably decent games. I don't know if it's the 360's fault they sold so bad, or simply because they just aren't that good. Eternal Sonata especially . . . ugh. Terrible.

Tales of Vesperia was better then all of them combined, and although it sold better then most JRPGs this gen, it didn't get all the sales it deserved, in my opinion. Also Namco: I know you don't think the Tales of series will sell over here in the West but . . . come on-- we really want Graces over here.

Yes Vesparia's sales are higher yes, but how much higher would it have been if they had the PS3 version ready alongside the 360 version?  Probably a lot higher, I'd wager their PS3 sales would have been doubled what they were.  Though it could easily not have been.  Still I kinda hope what that artist said was a true story and they got screwed over with their exclusive deal with MS.

Here I'd have to disagree with you, if for no other reason then the fact that Tales of Graces, which actually got marginally better scores then Vesperia sold only 220,000 throughout its entire life, and was on the highest selling home console in Japan at the time. Also, word of mouth about Vesperia was apparently very strong; at least, critical word of mouth was. 

Granted, though, my disagreeing with you is of a very thin nature-- I only disagree that it would have sold twice it's current amount, since that would make it roughly 1.6 mil if you meant worldwide, or over 1.2 mil(rounded) if you just included Japan PS3 sales. Thats more then any Tales game has ever sold, and while it'd be awesome, spectacular, incredible, and a large list of other positive adjectives if sales had been that high, it'd be extremely unlikely.

I'm not familiar with the artist story, so I can't comment on it. Can you link me to it?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

Here I'd have to disagree with you, if for no other reason then the fact that Tales of Graces, which actually got marginally better scores then Vesperia sold only 220,000 throughout its entire life, and was on the highest selling home console in Japan at the time. Also, word of mouth about Vesperia was apparently very strong; at least, critical word of mouth was. 

Granted, though, my disagreeing with you is of a very thin nature-- I only disagree that it would have sold twice it's current amount, since that would make it roughly 1.6 mil if you meant worldwide, or over 1.2 mil(rounded) if you just included Japan PS3 sales. Thats more then any Tales game has ever sold, and while it'd be awesome, spectacular, incredible, and a large list of other positive adjectives if sales had been that high, it'd be extremely unlikely.

I'm not familiar with the artist story, so I can't comment on it. Can you link me to it?

i think if tales of veperia did come out for ps3 i think it would have sold a lot better. Hell im still wating for namco to get sh*t straightened out so i can buy tales of vesperia for ps3. Not that i have anything against xbox but i just like ps3 controller better for jrpgs and i think the ps3 version had more content

Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

I mean double their japanese sales not worldwide.  But who knows world wide, PS3 version would have released in the rest of the world and even 100k in the U.S. and 100k in the EMAA would be a decent boost.  I read the artist news from Sankaku Complex, so it's not safe for work, and it was a developer not an artist.  Here's the Link: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/09/16/microsoft-funds-ps3-game-development/

since it's not safe for work here's the paragraph:

“First off, it was easier developing for the Xbox 360. This is to do with the games I was involved with, but basically if you sign an exclusive contract with Microsoft (you won’t release it on other hardware for a year or similar), they will give you a lot of cash for development.

Their support is also very fast and complete in these cases.

SCE don’t really give much cash out (any at all perhaps). Their support is confused and unreliable. When I was doing it at least, the 360 was easier to develop for, which lowers costs.

As a result, first you develop for the Xbox, reducing development costs. But the Xbox version won’t sell [in Japan], you can’t recoup even those lowered costs at all.

So they ported to the PS3, it’s cheaper as you already have the game done, but then Sony came back and told them ‘We won’t recognise it if it’s the same as the Xbox 360 version. Make sure you put in a lot of extra stuff!’

If we didn’t then they wouldn’t have let us pass their check…”

So pretty much Sony won't let any delayed game come out without extra content, this happened to Bioshock, the reason why Last Remnant PS3 will never be finished, etc.  So Namco made that 1 year exclusive deal that MS makes with devs but the 360's sales won't cover the cost they need the PS3 version to cover the cost and well you can't release the game without extra content so they had to waste money on extra content and the port so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make any money on the game now.  If they just made the PS3 version with the 360 version there would have been more sales on the PS3 version in Japan (Maybe even more hardware sales of PS3 increasing the install base there), an English version of the game ready on the PS3 for release everywhere in the world, so more sales for the game, they wouldn't have had to make extra content for the game and well a PS3 version of the game will probably never get released here now cause of the deal they made with MS.  I'm sure MS made the same deal with Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, and Star Ocean 4 and what happened to those games?  And people wonder why console sales are so low in Japan, I wonder why too /sarcasm.

SpartenOmega117 said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

i think if tales of veperia did come out for ps3 i think it would have sold a lot better. Hell im still wating for namco to get sh*t straightened out so i can buy tales of vesperia for ps3. Not that i have anything against xbox but i just like ps3 controller better for jrpgs and i think the ps3 version had more content

If you mean when it launched in the west alongside the 360 version, I agree-- it would have probably at least sold equally to the 360 version, maybe even a little more. If you meant if it came out alone, then it probably would have sold better then the 360 version, but logically it wouldn't have done that much better.

If you mean in the west right now, there isn't a chance in the blue moon it'd sell better, but I would also like it to come out too. Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata both are ports, and sold worse; understandably as well, since ports commonly don't sell that good.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

I mean double their japanese sales not worldwide.  But who knows world wide, PS3 version would have released in the rest of the world and even 100k in the U.S. and 100k in the EMAA would be a decent boost.  I read the artist news from Sankaku Complex, so it's not safe for work, and it was a developer not an artist.  Here's the Link: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/09/16/microsoft-funds-ps3-game-development/

“First off, it was easier developing for the Xbox 360. This is to do with the games I was involved with, but basically if you sign an exclusive contract with Microsoft (you won’t release it on other hardware for a year or similar), they will give you a lot of cash for development.

SCE don’t really give much cash out (any at all perhaps). Their support is confused and unreliable. When I was doing it at least, the 360 was easier to develop for, which lowers costs.

As a result, first you develop for the Xbox, reducing development costs. But the Xbox version won’t sell [in Japan], you can’t recoup even those lowered costs at all.

So they ported to the PS3, it’s cheaper as you already have the game done, but then Sony came back and told them ‘We won’t recognise it if it’s the same as the Xbox 360 version. Make sure you put in a lot of extra stuff!’

So pretty much Sony won't let any delayed game come out without extra content, this happened to Bioshock, the reason why Last Remnant PS3 will never be finished, etc.  So Namco made that 1 year exclusive deal that MS makes with devs but the 360's sales won't cover the cost they need the PS3 version to cover the cost and well you can't release the game without extra content so they had to waste money on extra content and the port so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make any money on the game now.  If they just made the PS3 version with the 360 version there would have been more sales on the PS3 version in Japan (Maybe even more hardware sales of PS3 increasing the install base there), an English version of the game ready on the PS3 for release everywhere in the world, so more sales for the game, they wouldn't have had to make extra content for the game and well a PS3 version of the game will probably never get released here now cause of the deal they made with MS.  I'm sure MS made the same deal with Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, and Star Ocean 4 and what happened to those games?  And people wonder why console sales are so low in Japan, I wonder why to /sarcasm.

Yeah, I do wish they released the PS3 version alongside the 360 version . . . in Japan it would have done great. In the west, the 360 may still have beat it, but probably only slightly if at all.

To be fair, though, SO4 and Ace Combat 6 were both horrible compared to their predecessors. I'm not sure if quality or console is the reason neither passed 1 mil.

Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

So pretty much Sony won't let any delayed game come out without extra content, this happened to Bioshock, the reason why Last Remnant PS3 will never be finished, etc.  So Namco made that 1 year exclusive deal that MS makes with devs but the 360's sales won't cover the cost they need the PS3 version to cover the cost and well you can't release the game without extra content so they had to waste money on extra content and the port so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make any money on the game now.  If they just made the PS3 version with the 360 version there would have been more sales on the PS3 version in Japan (Maybe even more hardware sales of PS3 increasing the install base there), an English version of the game ready on the PS3 for release everywhere in the world, so more sales for the game, they wouldn't have had to make extra content for the game and well a PS3 version of the game will probably never get released here now cause of the deal they made with MS.  I'm sure MS made the same deal with Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, and Star Ocean 4 and what happened to those games?  And people wonder why console sales are so low in Japan, I wonder why to /sarcasm.

Yeah, I do wish they released the PS3 version alongside the 360 version . . . in Japan it would have done great. In the west, the 360 may still have beat it, but probably only slightly if at all.

To be fair, though, SO4 and Ace Combat 6 were both horrible compared to their predecessors. I'm not sure if quality or console is the reason neither passed 1 mil.

Not sure about Ace Combat, but SO4 could only be better than SO3, I mean I'll probably be in the minority when I say this but Star Ocean 3 is the worst game I have ever played, like what were they thinking when they took into consideration that you can break the system into the difficulty?  (Honestly you're going to make a boss I had to do everything to beat a random encounter in the next room?  WTF?)  But on topic I think it's the console.  I mean not necessarily U.S. sales or Euro sales, but the Japanese sales could have been so much more at launch even if the games were crap people would have bought them anyways, a year later who's gonna buy them?  Especially if they're apparantly inferior?  Though as an aside: I think Japan's problems with consoles right now isn't necessarily just Star Ocean and Ace Combat, but the whole lot of games that I'm sure the Japanese people were anticipating but were put on the console they didn't want to buy (Especially Star Ocean, every Star Ocean game has been a PSX exclusive and you decide to make the last game in the series a 360 exclusive for a year?  It's like if Microsoft didn't own Halo and Bungie decided to make Reach a PS3 exclusive.  It's a bad business decision plain and simple.)   Though on another aside; it appears Square's stock has halved in the last 2 years.

Square-Enix can't be blamed for Infinite Undiscovery's exclusivity. Microsoft was going to originally publish it for Tri-Ace. But then Microsoft decided to let Square-Enix publish the game because S-E has more expertise when it comes to publishing jrpgs. However, the Infinite Undiscovery IP stayed with Microsoft. So that's why it wasn't ported.

As for The Last Remnant, it was supposed to be multi-plat in the first place but Square-Enix had trouble porting it to the PS3 (Unreal Engine issues apparently). So they delayed the PS3 release and eventually they dropped it. I take it Square-Enix just said fuck it and didn't bother with the PS3 port because the game was so heavily criticized by their fanbase and there wasn't much demand for it. Seriously how many PS3-only owners here were hoping to play The Last Remnant on your PS3?

And if Square-Enix is to be believed (who knows), Tri-Ace started development on Star Ocean 4 before the PS3 even had their software development kits available. Remember, the Xbox 360 had a one year headstart and jrpgs with high-production values take years to complete. The game got ported a year later anyway. If you have a PS3 and you are a Star Ocean fan, you can play it now. No biggie.

And I can't fault Square-Enix for porting FF13 to the Xbox 360. Even though the PS3 version was superior graphically, the Xbox 360 version still added an extra 1.56 million in sales. Expect to see a Versus XIII port to the Xbox 360 as well. FF14 Online seems unlikely if it goes against Microsoft's policy. And seeing as how much of a bomb it was, I don't think Microsoft even cares about FF14 anymore. Maybe if Square-Enix can fix up the game somehow it would be worth it for Microsoft to try to get it on the 360.

darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:
Shadowblind said:
darkknightkryta said:

So pretty much Sony won't let any delayed game come out without extra content, this happened to Bioshock, the reason why Last Remnant PS3 will never be finished, etc.  So Namco made that 1 year exclusive deal that MS makes with devs but the 360's sales won't cover the cost they need the PS3 version to cover the cost and well you can't release the game without extra content so they had to waste money on extra content and the port so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make any money on the game now.  If they just made the PS3 version with the 360 version there would have been more sales on the PS3 version in Japan (Maybe even more hardware sales of PS3 increasing the install base there), an English version of the game ready on the PS3 for release everywhere in the world, so more sales for the game, they wouldn't have had to make extra content for the game and well a PS3 version of the game will probably never get released here now cause of the deal they made with MS.  I'm sure MS made the same deal with Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, and Star Ocean 4 and what happened to those games?  And people wonder why console sales are so low in Japan, I wonder why too /sarcasm.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/10/22/vesperia-devs-thank-xbox-360-beta-testers/

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Micro$oft bribes the shit out of everyone... what do you expect lol. Gun Loco LMAO.