By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD to STOP reporting monthly hardware sales (Starting right NOW) :(

Khuutra said:
Torillian said:
Khuutra said:

Right. What I'm saying is that if they follow through on this...

I don't think NeoGaf will ever allow the use of VGChartz unless the staff is completely changed.  I agree that most of the people that frequent the site are reasonable but I don't find the staff nearly as reasonable.

Admittedly I don't know much about the staff; I take it that they're more dogmatic in rejecting Brett's numbers.

you get banned for bringing up VGChartz numbers in a serious manner.  You can get away with it if you bring them up to mock them.  So yeah there's a quite deep seeded dislike for VGC from many on the staff of Gaf.  I find it to be mostly one way and isn't reflected in the staff I talk to on a regular basis from VGC, but maybe Brett himself has a similar dislike for Gaf.

Around the Network

Goota love this:

"You fucking clowns, now all that will happen is that people will give more credence to madeupchartz.

ioi just creamed his little panties.

This. Stupid move by NPD."

In the end, ioi won the epic battle.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Torillian said:
Khuutra said:

Admittedly I don't know much about the staff; I take it that they're more dogmatic in rejecting Brett's numbers.

you get banned for bringing up VGChartz numbers in a serious manner.  You can get away with it if you bring them up to mock them.  So yeah there's a quite deep seeded dislike for VGC from many on the staff of Gaf.  I find it to be mostly one way from the staff I talk to on a regular basis from VGC, but maybe Brett himself has a similar dislike for Gaf.

Eh.

I'm going to assume that Brett is above butting heads with them unless shown otherwise.

M.U.G.E.N said:
nordlead said:

If NPD never reports numbers again and they come down hard (legally) on people who post leaked numbers, then I say it will take at least 1 year before NeoGAF (as a website) starts using VGChartz. They (the staff and prominent members) pretty much thinnk we are the worst thing to ever exist in the world. It would take a long time before they became desperate enough to reconsider what actually happens over here with the numbers.

However, there are plenty of NeoGAF members who frequent here, so I really don't anticipate any changes in the short term.

woah 0_0 y is that?

The short (maybe long) story:

A long time ago ioi was a poster over at GAF and he wanted a better way to track numbers than just looking at Famitsu & Media Create. He came up with his own tracking method (using public information and I think along with a tiny sampling of stores, but that may have started later) and built VGChartz only on his own personal server.

Anyways, he wanted to build the website with GAF, but they essentially said it had to be a professional tracking firm or it was pulling numbers out of your ass. After a falling out, ioi started VGCharts.org (which turned into VGChartz.com) and they've been upset over it ever since.

Now, VGChartz never claimed to do a better job than any of those companies. It just offered numbers for the fans that are accurate enough for fans. They banned VGChartz from GAF because they believe the numbers are made up, despite the fact that VGChartz does sample a small percentage of the retail stores around the world.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Khuutra said:
Torillian said:
Khuutra said:

you get banned for bringing up VGChartz numbers in a serious manner.  You can get away with it if you bring them up to mock them.  So yeah there's a quite deep seeded dislike for VGC from many on the staff of Gaf.  I find it to be mostly one way from the staff I talk to on a regular basis from VGC, but maybe Brett himself has a similar dislike for Gaf.

Eh.

I'm going to assume that Brett is above butting heads with them unless shown otherwise.

first let me say I love you for cutting down our quote train for me.

And I agree I don't think Brett really hates Gaf.  I talk to him a good amount (mostly starts when I want to know how a game sales are looking) and I would assume if he really hated them it would come up.  Also evidence of him not caring about Gaf is that we're able to talk about Gaf and don't have to call it Neo*&^ or "that banned site"

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
Khuutra said:

Right. What I'm saying is that if they follow through on this...

As I understand it NPD actually gives a watered down report to Neogaf with just the kind of numbers they like to go nuts with. The reason for this is because the full monthly data kept getting published and NPD couldn't find and plug the leak. Given that bit of history I'd say Neogaf will just move forward with full leaks of the info and call it a day.

a tiny correction. The monthly reports were the watered down report for NeoGAF. They agreed in return to stop leaking the numbers.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I've got my fingers crossed that this leads to more leaks.  And someday I'll tease out why NPD is so secretive with their numbers while other data trackers give theirs out fairly easily.

Something awesome from GAF

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

noname2200 said:

I've got my fingers crossed that this leads to more leaks.  And someday I'll tease out why NPD is so secretive with their numbers while other data trackers give theirs out fairly easily.

Because there isn't a publically available source for these numbers in the-OH SHIT

Khuutra said:
noname2200 said:

Because there isn't a publically available source for these numbers in the-OH SHIT

Which only makes their secrecy more amusing, no?  I can't imagine too many folks pay the tens of thousands a month that it takes to buy the full list...