By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD to STOP reporting monthly hardware sales (Starting right NOW) :(

nordlead said:
kitler53 said:

so if i have this right, only MS knows how much MS sold according to NPD, and only Sony knows how much Sony sold according to NPD, and the same for Nintendo. Incorrect, all paying customers see the numbers for everyone.

So unless all three sources decide to release their numbers we won't get a complete (if any) picture of NPDs hardware sales estimate? Correct, legally at least we are hoping each of the big three publish their numbers.

no.

Anyone who pays for NPD numbers knows how many units each system sold and how much eash SKU of software sold. However, the only people who can publish NPD hardware numbers to the general public are the hardware manufacturers themselves.

edits above...do i have it right now?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

Holy freaking Hell, they're getting rid of numbers altogether in their quarterly public reports?

Oh God

Oh God what if NeoGAF sales-age starts using VGChartz

That would be...quite the victory.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Seece said:
nordlead said:

yes and no.

Anyone who pays for NPD numbers knows how many units each system sold and how much eash SKU of software sold. However, the only people who can publish NPD hardware numbers to the general public are the hardware manufacturers themselves.

So any website reporting those numbers isn't really allowed to do so?

If Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft publishers their numbers to the general public, a website is free to repeat the information.

If a website pays for NPD numbers, they are not allowed to publish Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft numbers unless Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft put them out in a press release first. It has been this way for a while, except NPD published some numbers to the public which sort of made this rule pointless.

This is how it worked the last time NPD pulled their public press release and I'm assuming it is working the same way now.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Seece said:
kitler53 said:

so if i have this right, only MS knows how much MS sold according to NPD, and only Sony knows how much Sony sold according to NPD, and the same for Nintendo.  So unless all three sources decide to release their numbers we won't get a complete (if any) picture of NPDs hardware sales estimate?

Expect the company with those most sales in any given month reveal, and the one with the lowest to not.

that's kind of what i'm afraid of.  just trying to make sure i have my facts straight before i freaking out. xD

kitler53 said:
nordlead said:
kitler53 said:

so if i have this right, only MS knows how much MS sold according to NPD, and only Sony knows how much Sony sold according to NPD, and the same for Nintendo. Incorrect, all paying customers see the numbers for everyone.

So unless all three sources decide to release their numbers we won't get a complete (if any) picture of NPDs hardware sales estimate? Correct, legally at least we are hoping each of the big three publish their numbers.

no.

Yes.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:
Khuutra said:

Holy freaking Hell, they're getting rid of numbers altogether in their quarterly public reports?

Oh God

Things will happen. Bad things. Maybe this little network will be flooded with neogaf users, meaning the ragnarock for VGChartz :(

NeoGAF users are generally nice people

NPD cant count Xbox numbers anymore... they are way too high.

nordlead said:
kitler53 said:
nordlead said:
kitler53 said:

no.

Yes.

NOOOOOOO,..i'm going to miss the monthly NPD comparision meltdown thread. :(

nordlead said:
Seece said:
nordlead said:

yes and no.

So any website reporting those numbers isn't really allowed to do so?

If Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft publishers their numbers to the general public, a website is free to repeat the information.

If a website pays for NPD numbers, they are not allowed to publish Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft numbers unless Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft put them out in a press release first. It has been this way for a while, except NPD published some numbers to the public which sort of made this rule pointless.

This is how it worked the last time NPD pulled their public press release and I'm assuming it is working the same way now.

So, say Sony don't reveal their numbers next month. No website can report their numbers even if they have them (by being a paid subscriber), obviously though some people are going to leak them on a fourm. I guess we just have to hope they're honest with it ...

Khuutra said:

Oh God

They pulled this stunt once before and NeoGAF didn't start using VGChartz. Granted, NPD rescinded on their statement pretty quickly.