By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD to STOP reporting monthly hardware sales (Starting right NOW) :(

noname2200 said:
Khuutra said:
noname2200 said:

I've got my fingers crossed that this leads to more leaks.  And someday I'll tease out why NPD is so secretive with their numbers while other data trackers give theirs out fairly easily.

Because there isn't a publically available source for these numbers in the-OH SHIT

Which only makes their secrecy more amusing, no?  I can't imagine too many folks pay the tens of thousands a month that it takes to buy the full list...

How much IS NPD I wonder ..

Around the Network

It is just amazing to me how differently the tracking services operate in Japan and Europe compared to NPD.  Or how little data the videogame industry wants to give out compared to every other form of entertainment it says it competes against. If you want to be taken seriously, you need numbers (TV, radio, movies) or at least bigger lists (books, music).

I also wonder, given that NPD does not include data from Wal-Mart or Toys R Us (or did not the last time we had this type of discussion), how accurate those numbers really are. I say this because if you go to either of those stores, they generally have much larger displays for Nintendo products than other manufacturers -- and most of the disagreement between VGC and NPD seemed to center around supposed Nintendo overestimation.

This shows goes to show the immaturity of the industry.  It also may be another sign that another crash may soon be coming.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

darthdevidem01 said:

Something awesome from GAF

Epic lols. What is that from?

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

nordlead said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
nordlead said:

If NPD never reports numbers again and they come down hard (legally) on people who post leaked numbers, then I say it will take at least 1 year before NeoGAF (as a website) starts using VGChartz. They (the staff and prominent members) pretty much thinnk we are the worst thing to ever exist in the world. It would take a long time before they became desperate enough to reconsider what actually happens over here with the numbers.

However, there are plenty of NeoGAF members who frequent here, so I really don't anticipate any changes in the short term.

woah 0_0 y is that?

The short (maybe long) story:

A long time ago ioi was a poster over at GAF and he wanted a better way to track numbers than just looking at Famitsu & Media Create. He came up with his own tracking method (using public information and I think along with a tiny sampling of stores, but that may have started later) and built VGChartz only on his own personal server.

Anyways, he wanted to build the website with GAF, but they essentially said it had to be a professional tracking firm or it was pulling numbers out of your ass. After a falling out, ioi started VGCharts.org (which turned into VGChartz.com) and they've been upset over it ever since.

Now, VGChartz never claimed to do a better job than any of those companies. It just offered numbers for the fans that are accurate enough for fans. They banned VGChartz from GAF because they believe the numbers are made up, despite the fact that VGChartz does sample a small percentage of the retail stores around the world.

hahahhaa wow :D sounds like a script for a movie or something...friends, fallouts, fights, banning lol

thanks for the story, been wondering for a while now

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

mike_intellivision said:

It is just amazing to me how differently the tracking services operate in Japan and Europe compared to NPD.  Or how little data the videogame industry wants to give out compared to every other form of entertainment it says it competes against. If you want to be taken seriously, you need numbers (TV, radio, movies) or at least bigger lists (books, music).

I also wonder, given that NPD does not include data from Wal-Mart or Toys R Us (or did not the last time we had this type of discussion), how accurate those numbers really are. I say this because if you go to either of those stores, they generally have much larger displays for Nintendo products than other manufacturers -- and most of the disagreement between VGC and NPD seemed to center around supposed Nintendo overestimation.

This shows goes to show the immaturity of the industry.  It also may be another sign that another crash may soon be coming.

Puh-lease

{flails hands like a robo chick}

The last time the crash came gaming was at its infancy....its like a 4 month old baby having a high fever.....thats fatal.

The industry is too mainstream and massive now to have that kind of a crash.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Form NeoGAF:

The only people who have "real numbers" are no one, because there's no industry-wide tracking apparatus except NPD, whose biggest subscribers for video game sales data are the platform-holders and publishers. If a company reports sold-through numbers in the US, and they're not made up from whole cloth, they're NPD figures.

What was the servic that Nintendo started that actually does exactly this, tracking sales down to the unit by their serial numbers? SIRAS? SOmething like that.

Seece said:

How much IS NPD I wonder ..

I've heard the moderate-five-figures thrown around a few times, and I don't remember anyone contradicting that number, so... let's just say waaaaaaay more than it ought to be, especially since you can buy box office figures for the price of a latte.

postofficebuddy said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Something awesome from GAF

Epic lols. What is that from?

Most probably a japanese drama...I would like to know as well. One of the guys in it is a popular actor from Japan that much I know

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
nordlead said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
nordlead said:

If NPD never reports numbers again and they come down hard (legally) on people who post leaked numbers, then I say it will take at least 1 year before NeoGAF (as a website) starts using VGChartz. They (the staff and prominent members) pretty much thinnk we are the worst thing to ever exist in the world. It would take a long time before they became desperate enough to reconsider what actually happens over here with the numbers.

However, there are plenty of NeoGAF members who frequent here, so I really don't anticipate any changes in the short term.

woah 0_0 y is that?

A long time ago ioi was a poster over at GAF and he wanted a better way to track numbers than just looking at Famitsu & Media Create. He came up with his own tracking method (using public information and I think along with a tiny sampling of stores, but that may have started later) and built VGChartz only on his own personal server.

Anyways, he wanted to build the website with GAF, but they essentially said it had to be a professional tracking firm or it was pulling numbers out of your ass. After a falling out, ioi started VGCharts.org (which turned into VGChartz.com) and they've been upset over it ever since.

Now, VGChartz never claimed to do a better job than any of those companies. It just offered numbers for the fans that are accurate enough for fans. They banned VGChartz from GAF because they believe the numbers are made up, despite the fact that VGChartz does sample a small percentage of the retail stores around the world.

hahahhaa wow :D sounds like a script for a movie or something...friends, fallouts, fights, banning lol

Perhaps they will make a movie on ioi like they've made on the facebook guy!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
nordlead said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
nordlead said:

woah 0_0 y is that?

Perhaps they will make a movie on ioi like they've made on the facebook guy!

Yeaaaaah and win awards and stuff 0_0 Ioi's plan from the start????

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!