By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD to STOP reporting monthly hardware sales (Starting right NOW) :(

noname2200 said:
Seece said:

How much IS NPD I wonder ..

I've heard the moderate-five-figures thrown around a few times, and I don't remember anyone contradicting that number, so... let's just say waaaaaaay more than it ought to be, especially since you can buy box office figures for the price of a latte.

Daaaamn .. I thought it'd be like a $50 sub max ... 5 figures is insane ..

Around the Network
Seece said:
noname2200 said:
Seece said:

I've heard the moderate-five-figures thrown around a few times, and I don't remember anyone contradicting that number, so... let's just say waaaaaaay more than it ought to be, especially since you can buy box office figures for the price of a latte.

I think their only subscribers are related parties (primarily game publishers), which is why their costs are so damn hihg.

Now if they were open to be subscribed to by the public, I'm sure price would come down to something a little more reasonable

Seece said:
noname2200 said:
Seece said:

its 10K a year

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Seece said:
noname2200 said:
Seece said:

See, PS3 hardware was never unprofitable, it was just the damned cost of NPD. EA have never wasted money, nor Take Two, it's all NPD's fault :)

good riddance. Now i dont have to listen to people moaning because vgchartz Americas numbers are not the same as NPD north america numbers.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Seece said:
noname2200 said:
Seece said:

I think their only subscribers are related parties (primarily game publishers), which is why their costs are so damn hihg.

Now if they were open to be subscribed to by the public, I'm sure price would come down to something a little more reasonable

Feel sorry for the companys that pay 10k just to find out their game sold like shit ... that must hurt.

Seece said:
Khuutra said:

Feel sorry for the companys that pay 10k just to find out their game sold like shit ... that must hurt.

No doubt, but they also get to see how their competitors are selling (NPD estimates dollar sales based on pricing at different stores), how each of the hardware SKUs is selling, and analyses of what these numbers mean.

Now granted, in the movie industry you can get all that shit for free....

Seece said:
Khuutra said:

No publisher really cares what their game sold to the end consumer. They already know exactly how many copies they shipped, and once those discs are out the door the cash is in their hand.

The publishers use the NPD numbers to gauge market interests and market size. Like, do FPSs sell on the DS? Do platformers thrive on the XBox? That sort of thing.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

This news makes me worried about the "correctness" of future sales numbers from VGChartz, looking at the many adjustments they used to make to their numbers each month (after the release of the monthly NPD numbers).

M.U.G.E.N said:
postofficebuddy said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Something awesome from GAF

Epic lols. What is that from?

Most probably a japanese drama...I would like to know as well. One of the guys in it is a popular actor from Japan that much I know

It's Densha Otoko! (literally: Train Man), basically your standard nerd-gets-hot-chick story, while still being charming as hell. He has a cadre of online friends whom he constantly chats with, updating them on his exploits. The gif is them all anticipating... something. I forget the exact scene

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.