By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do any of the Halo titles deserve critical acclaim?

microsoft will give them all the praise (hype) they dont deserve dont worry about that!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Around the Network

• Halo Combat Evolved: 95%
  • Halo 2: 94%
  • Halo 3: 93%
  • Halo Wars: 82%
  • Halo 3 ODST: 85%

Halo:CE deserved every bit of it. It was the best console FPS at the time, and despite no online had the best multiplayer to boot. Had a lot of fun in the system link days.

I'd say Halo 2 deserved a slightly lower score because of the weak Campaign, but then again the Live portion of it was amazing and well makes up for that. I missed the old Halo 1 pistol but that was about it in regards to MP.

Halo 3 had a great theater feature, forge, even better online abilities, and four player co-op. The campaign was decent but not great. This deserves a slightly lower score to some but was amazing in m book.

Halo Wars is a great RTS and hugely underrated *CONSOLE* RTS. When you compare it to the likes of Starcraft It's crap, but on the console I would say it was the second best console RTS ever release - behind Starcraft 64.

Halo ODST deserves It's rating and not much more. It had a great  campaign and firefight was fun, but was more or less a glorified expansion.

So bottom line is I would agree with all the ratings except Halo Wars, it should be 88% or more borderline 89%.

It's just that simple.

Truthfully this question has been asked so many times on videogame forums that all that comes out of it is that there are alot of differant opinions.

Of course mine is absolute, and the first two deserve a ton of praise well every thing that follows is downhill!

The Halo series is no worse than any other series in the end its a godanm videogame!

PEACE!!!

themanwithnoname said:
libellule said:
wow at Halo Wars rating

it is a shame ... so overrated ...

As if you've ever played it. Go take your tripe somewhere else.

the 5/10 and the review associated it gets from my favorite website was sufficient IMO

Time to Work !

chocoloco said:

Truthfully this question has been asked so many times on videogame forums that all that comes out of it is that there are alot of differant opinions.

Of course mine is absolute, and the first two deserve a ton of praise well every thing that follows is downhill!

The Halo series is no worse than any other series in the end its a godanm videogame!

PEACE!!!

Well I just want to know why Halo 3 suddenly is so much worse than Halo 2.

In the end they are VERY comparable and none of them did suddenly change the entire gameplay. (only talking about Halo 1-3 here)

So why is Halo 3 worse ?

I don't know a single thing where Halo 2 could have been better than Halo 3. Enlighten me.

Around the Network

i was never a fan of the halo franchise at all, back from the very first i was playing better shooters on pc so i never saw the intrigue but for the players that never really played quake, unreal, deus ex, halflife, counter strike and many others , they would have found halo to be a very unique experience especially with the gamepad.

i have been playing a lot of the halo reach beta and that game feels leaps and bounds better than the rest, im not sure how the story will fair but as far as the meat and potatoes of halo goes reach is by far the best online the series has ever had

Barozi said:
chocoloco said:

PEACE!!!

Well I just want to know why Halo 3 suddenly is so much worse than Halo 2.

In the end they are VERY comparable and none of them did suddenly change the entire gameplay. (only talking about Halo 1-3 here)

So why is Halo 3 worse ?

I don't know a single thing where Halo 2 could have been better than Halo 3. Enlighten me.

First off don't talk my show of arrogance seriously as no on has an absolute opinion.

The main reason I did not like Halo 3 as much, was because it had a very short campaign.  I did not like that because I love playing the series coop and it was dissapointing to have it end so qucikly. Also I did not enjoy the multiplayer as much as I did for Halo 2. I thought the maps were less exciting, but thats just me.  Though this was an early 360 game, even months before I bought the game I watched people playing it and my first thought was  the graphics did not impress and I expected more. At that time I had no this gen console and had only seen a few games, but I still thought the graphics were weak, and I certainly maintain that original impression.

Still I never said it sucked it was just not as good for me.

I believe the mainline halo deserve it a bit, the spin-offs.... heck no

Of course Halo isn't worth the praise. The games are mediocre, and only received any attention because console FPS prior to Halo was sub-mediocre.

If the game were released on PC, it would have been met with mediocre reviews.
Oh wait, it was released on PC. And it was met with mediocre reviews.
(Yes, I know, it's an "inferior port," that offers higher resolution graphics, online gameplay, and the option of playing with a controller or m/kb).

the halo series deserves the critical acclaim it got imo. To me its up there with metroid and zelda as my favorite franchises that i can almost always rely on not regretting purchasing the newest game.
My ratings
Halo 1 (92%) Awesome campaign but not much replayability
Halo 2 (90%) Purely because at the time it had the funnest online of any console fps period. Campaign was good for the first two levels, and then got annoying.
Halo 3 (98%) Forge alone has made this game have unlimited re playability for me. Campaign was great since i could easily play it co op online. Multiplayer was a blast. Custom games is what made it better then every other online game I've played though.
Halo Wars(80%) By far the best console rts I've played but to be honest it would have been twice as fun with a mouse and keyboard. You just can't play rts's with a controller unless they are greatly dumbed down or it gets too hard to manage.
Halo 3 ODST(85%) Great campaign, firefight's awsome. I would rate it 90% if i had bought it for $35 but my halo 3 disk was broken so i got it week 1, because the game felt like a big expansion so $60 was steep.