By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft Cuts Sales Projections In Half For Red Steel 2.

kingofwale said:
considering the continuing failing of first person shooting genre, dispite much hype and developer's dedication (and I'm talking about Conduit)

Does it take a genius in Ubisoft to realize the game probably won't sell like hotcake first party games??

You do know the first crappy Red stee....you know I should not bother anymore.

@OP
Hopefully Red Steel quality wise is awesome, if that is true I will totally pick that up.

Around the Network

I think they will probably still hope for a million just setting the bar low in case of a disapointment. I still doubt this game will get any marketing push to meet that expectation.

Can't imagine kids and families playing red steel together.....
500k sounds reasonable.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

I think the exclusive support for Wii motion plus is where they're worried. The games selling point is with a peripheral which was predominantly bought by the 'Wii Sports' crowd and while they could bundle RS2 with the thing, to me it seems a bit late.

The other thing is these companeis normally have a good grasp of how a title will do before launch. They've got preorders, market research from things like internet searches, popularity on press websites etc and other stuff.

This does most likely mean it's marketing budget will be slashed too, but if Ubisoft's data says the game pre-launch isn't popular, then it may make sense not to blow alot of money marketing the game. Depends how it all adds up I guess *Shrug*.

kingofwale said:
considering the continuing failing of first person shooting genre, dispite much hype and developer's dedication (and I'm talking about Conduit)

Does it take a genius in Ubisoft to realize the game probably won't sell like hotcake first party games??

What's with the cherry picking? You chose a low budget new IP from a fairly inexperienced developer when there are many FPS's on Wii that have vastly outsold it. Even Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 would have been fairer.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

Red Steel 2 is one of my most anticipated Wii 3rd party titles coming out this year, along with Epic Mickey. I really hope that WM+ delivers, and I love the setting that this game takes place in.

Hopefully the game will do well, but I hope even more so that the game plays well.

gustave154 said:
Can't imagine kids and families playing red steel together.....
500k sounds reasonable.

Do you imagine kids and families playing MP3 together? Zelda Twilight Princess? Super Paper Mario? Call of Duty?

NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

Why didn't you choose one of the better-performing Wii FPSs as your example? Like for example COD at 1.40 million?

You don't really have to answer.

a CoD game selling only 1.4 million??? To me, that is a massive failure in itself. Much smaller install-based were able to sell much more. This argument is old, look at threads talking about Madden or Fifa games and you will get a sense of this

Much like Wii music, selling millions but still considered a failure.

I am happy, for once, that Ubisoft realize this game will not sell too much. Overshipping will destory Ubisoft's profit margin. It's much easier to ship second shipment after selling out the first.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Ubisoft wouldn't be shipping based upon their own projections. They ship based on retailer orders.

This way at least they have a good chance of overshooting projections. And I think they will. This game could move 750k or even close to a million I think.