By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft Cuts Sales Projections In Half For Red Steel 2.

Kennyheart said:

did the original red steel get advertsing.

Yeah, and it was used as part of the Wii hype.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
Kennyheart said:

Yeah, and it was used as part of the Wii hype.

It got a lot of TV advertising.   Pretty funny and cheesy too.   Also being a launch title helps a lot.

kingofwale said:
BrandonM said:
gustave154 said:
Can't imagine kids and families playing red steel together.....
500k sounds reasonable.

Yep it sure does if your a sonyfanboy.....

He was right. This is not a game for kids, it's not a game for family and it's not a game for more than 1 person.

How many of those games on Wii sold well? This is clearly a case of a game that doesn't really fit the console demographic.

Anybody can see this, regardless whether you love the console to death or not

Admittedly Nintendo games, but nevertheless Legend of Zelda and Metroid Prime Corruption also "don't really fit the console demographic" by your definition.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

I guess this means no advertising at all or perhaps even less then the little bit they might have been planning. Ugh. I really dislike this. If this wasn't going to be advertised I wasn't going to bother with it. If publishers don't think their game is worth it to advertise then it's not worth my money in the end. That's the stance I've taken. I was really looking forward to Red Steel 2. Ugh. I guess it's time to remove my preorder from Amazon until I see how things play out.

Kennyheart said:
BrandonM said:
palancas7 said:
Oh oh... no advertising...

Pretty much the way I see it:/

Yup it did and it sold over a million as well. Which makes this stance by Ubisoft really stupid. It's been a few years since the original and the sequal is of a higher qauilty and it's a significant change to the series making it easier to sell to people that might have the original game. Yet they are cutting back expectations which can only mean no advertising from where I'm sitting.

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:
kingofwale said:
BrandonM said:
gustave154 said:
500k sounds reasonable.

He was right. This is not a game for kids, it's not a game for family and it's not a game for more than 1 person.

How many of those games on Wii sold well? This is clearly a case of a game that doesn't really fit the console demographic.

Admittedly Nintendo games, but nevertheless Legend of Zelda and Metroid Prime Corruption also "don't really fit the console demographic" by your definition.

Nintendo franchises sell to Nintendo core.   You'll note they sold similar numbers as the GC versions did despite a userbase 3 times the size.   Even SMG and SSBB didn't outsell their GC counterparts but much considering the massive difference in userbase.

Nintendo core don't seem to buy a lot of 3rd party titles.   Why more Zelda fans didn't get Okami is beyond me.   Not that I'd except Okami to sell 6m but 1 or even 500k-1m would have been nice considering it's an AAA title in the same vein of Zelda.     If Okami can't get that crowd to buy why would RS2?

Okami is shit. I know that's not a popular opinion around here, but there's nothing about that game that would make it sell mainstream. 1:1 swordfighting is something that almost anyone who bought the Wii would want to do.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Gamerace said:
bmmb1 said:
kingofwale said:
BrandonM said:
gustave154 said:
500k sounds reasonable.

Nintendo franchises sell to Nintendo core.   You'll note they sold similar numbers as the GC versions did despite a userbase 3 times the size.   Even SMG and SSBB didn't outsell their GC counterparts but much considering the massive difference in userbase.

Nintendo core don't seem to buy a lot of 3rd party titles.   Why more Zelda fans didn't get Okami is beyond me.   Not that I'd except Okami to sell 6m but 1 or even 500k-1m would have been nice considering it's an AAA title in the same vein of Zelda.     If Okami can't get that crowd to buy why would RS2?

You may be trying to find hard explanations for things which are easy to explain. Why didn't Okami on the PS2 sell more than Okami on the Wii, or God Hand on the PS2 vs Madworld on the Wii, or the previous Fatal Frame games which sold about the same as Fatal Frame 4 on the Wii?

Not everything is about the demographics.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

i still have my full faith in this game... Ubisoft may have said there cutting it to 500k because they dont want to be an loan wolf with software still on the shelf, if this game sells out fast maybe they will set the bar a little higher?

It's as if nobody bought the first one in the series judging from a few posts here... But it sold over a million when the console was brand new, so the userbase argument is none existent and irrelevant, because there is no massive userbase at launch.

All they need to do is market it to the people that enjoyed the sword fighting game in WSR. It's a no brainer really.

But then I'm starting to doubt the intelligence of the execs at gaming companies...

VGChartz