By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan makes the best games.....wtf?!? (poll discussion)

So the OP disagreed with the poll and made a thread about it? Why? I disagree with those polls 90% of the time, sometimes they show insane results but I just shrug it off...
The biggest letdowns of this generation, for me, all mostly all from Western developers so my subjective opinion is that the OP is wrong, or at least not right.
This hasn't been a mindblowing gen at all in my view but Japan would still come out on top for me as well and I did vote for it.

PS: "Makes the best games" doesn't rule out that it implies through all time. I have a friend whom you could say makes the highest sounds when he farts. He always has.
Makes can imply something ongoing and doesn't strictly have to be only the present.
Ford makes cars, for instance, does not mean that they recently started, does it?
In fact, we know they didn't.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
*sigh*

J Man, you want a List? Here goes:

Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Metal Gear Solid 4
Demon's Souls
Dragon Quest IX
Monster Hunter Freedom
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Street Fighter IV
Devil May Cry
Ninja Gaiden
Pokemon Diamond
No More Heroes
Wii Series
Metroid Prime 3

Shall I continue?

Now list how many non-japanese games beat them which is what I told you in the beginning.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Mario
Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros.
Legend of Zelda
Pokemon
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Resident Evil
Street Fighter

Some of the best franchises of all time that are still incredibly popular this generation. Japan does nothing of significance? Surely you jest.

jesus kung fu magic said:
lestatdark said:
*sigh*

J Man, you want a List? Here goes:

Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Metal Gear Solid 4
Demon's Souls
Dragon Quest IX
Monster Hunter Freedom
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Street Fighter IV
Devil May Cry
Ninja Gaiden
Pokemon Diamond
No More Heroes
Wii Series
Metroid Prime 3

Shall I continue?

Now list how many non-japanese games beat them which is what I told you in the beginning.

Beat them how? Sales, because that has nothing to do with quality. Metacritic? Because thats a meaningless score, the mostly casual reviewer base is going to give an easy game like Call of duty a higher score then an in depth time sink like monster Hunter. Really the quality of titles is subjective, if you think the west has made better games, thats cool, and I agree that they have made some of the best games of all time. But the japanese have an equal amount of classics that people really enjoy, so don't belittle them just because you don't like them.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Well, since my Japanese list is based on personal opinion, I shall give the same personal opinion for Western Games:

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Bioshock
Dead Space
Forza 3
Uncharted 2
Little Big Planet
Gears of War 2
Halo 3
Torchlight
Titan Quest
Resistance 2

And that's pretty much it

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

Aside from Capcom and some games from other devs here and there, Japanese games are rather poor this gen compared to the previous gens and to the American games of this gen.

Xxain said:
Did everybody forget?..... not only does Japan make better games, Japan IS games.... theve been slow this gen, but overall yes absolutely... western developers can just barely make a game that doesnt include a guy holding a gun

List of great non-Japanese made games that do not depend on guns this gen:

InFamous

Alan Wake

Dragon Age

Batman Arkham Asylum

Assassins Creed 2

Heavenly Sword

Guitar Hero franchise

Rock Band franchise

Forza 3

Project Gotham

Little Big Planet

Prince of Persia

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2

Brutal Legend

Oblivion

Prototype

Burnout Paradise

Pure

Dirt 2

Need for Speed: Shift

American (canada included)/ European devs have been owning this gen.

Can't we all agree that both Western and Japanese developers have been giving us great games this gen? This kind of West vs Japan competition is getting rather ridiculous.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:
Did everybody forget?..... not only does Japan make better games, Japan IS games.... theve been slow this gen, but overall yes absolutely... western developers can just barely make a game that doesnt include a guy holding a gun

List of great non-Japanese made games that do not depend on guns this gen:

InFamous

Alan Wake

Dragon Age

Batman Arkham Asylum

Assassins Creed 2

Heavenly Sword

Guitar Hero franchise

Rock Band franchise

Forza 3

Project Gotham

Little Big Planet

Prince of Persia

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2

Brutal Legend

Oblivion

Prototype

Burnout Paradise

Pure

Dirt 2

Need for Speed: Shift

American (canada included)/ European devs have been owning this gen.

19?.... just like I said..barely, poor westernern developers..when will they unlock the door to creativity?

It was not present-tense, but rather which country has made the best games over the history of their various game developments. This is why I included older series on my lists. You could make an argument that Japanese developers haven't been in form this generation compared to Western developers, but they also have a long history of fantastic classic games. As the Poll Administrator, I'll stay neutral on this issue, but I think you've misinterpreted the poll completely.