By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan makes the best games.....wtf?!? (poll discussion)

bobobologna said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Japan has barely had heavy hitters this gen. The majority of heavy hitters this gen have been western.

InFamous, Batman Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 1 &2, Fable 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Modern Warfare 1 &2, Jak and Daxter, GOW3, Gears of War 1 & 2, Heavenly Sword, Assassins Creed 1 & 2, and much much more say hi. The majority of AAA titles launched this gen are majorly in the western court. Japan has run dry. Their only glimmer or hope is in 2010 and that is the only sign of significance from them. The west have owned this gen in dominant form.

Off the top of my head:  Dead Rising (1.78 mil), Lost Planet (2.3 mil), DMC 4 (2.3 mil), Resident Evil 5 (5 mil), Mario Kart Wii (19 mil), Super Mario Galaxy (8 mil), SSBB (9 mil), MGS 4 (4.3 mil), GT5 Prologue (3.3 mil), Ninja Gaiden 2/Sigma 2 (1.4 mil), Wii Sports Resort (7.9 mil)

Then there are the great games like Valkyria Chronicles and Demons Souls that don't necessarily light up the sales chart.  Doesn't take away from the fact that they are awesome games.

Coming up we have GT5, Final Fantasy 13, The Last Guardian, Lost Planet 2, Bayonetta, and more (Dead Rising 2 has been outsourced).  Again, this is all just off the top of my head, so I'm sure other people can add to what I've said.

It's also kind of unfair that you are basically pitting Japan against the rest of the world combined.

Um...when I say heavy hitter I mean AAA bro. Theres nothing unfair about what I am saying. List the games again as AAA's.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:
Did everybody forget?..... not only does Japan make better games, Japan IS games.... theve been slow this gen, but overall yes absolutely... western developers can just barely make a game that doesnt include a guy holding a gun

List of great non-Japanese made games that do not depend on guns this gen:

InFamous

Alan Wake

Dragon Age

Batman Arkham Asylum

Assassins Creed 2

Heavenly Sword

Guitar Hero franchise

Rock Band franchise

Forza 3

Project Gotham

Little Big Planet

Prince of Persia

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2

Brutal Legend

Oblivion

Prototype

Burnout Paradise

Pure

Dirt 2

Need for Speed: Shift

American (canada included)/ European devs have been owning this gen.

19?.... just like I said..barely, poor westernern developers..when will they unlock the door to creativity?

The majority of the games that have been AAA or near that have been made by western devs, if you need more games listed just say the word. This was only a taste.

is any of it creative? innovative?

Did anyone read my post, or are people too busy having another tired "Western games vs. Japanese games" debate?

S.T.A.G.E. said:

lestatdark said:
Well, since my Japanese list is based on personal opinion, I shall give the same personal opinion for Western Games:

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2

Dragon Age
Bioshock
Dead Space
Forza 3
Uncharted

Uncharted 2
Little Big Planet
Gears of War

Gears of War 2
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST

Torchlight
Titan Quest
Resistance

Resistance 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2, Assassins Creed 1 &2, PGR 3 & 4, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, InFamous, Crackdown 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Saints Row 1 & 2, Condemned 1 & 2, Alpha Protocol, All COD games this gen, Unreal Tournament III and much much more.

And that's pretty much it

I'd appreciate if you didn't edit MY personal list. You have your opinion and that's fine, even though you're just listing games as you see along to make us think that only you are correct.

You may want to deny it all that you want, but both Western AND japanese developers have been giving us great games this gen. Seriously, I don't know why you people have so much difficulty accepting that, is it some kind of inferiority complex?

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

FFXIII just released.  I'd trade every Western developed game I have just for FFXIII.  Final Fantasy is what MADE ME A GAMER.  By far my favorite series ever.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network
Xxain said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:
Did everybody forget?..... not only does Japan make better games, Japan IS games.... theve been slow this gen, but overall yes absolutely... western developers can just barely make a game that doesnt include a guy holding a gun

List of great non-Japanese made games that do not depend on guns this gen:

InFamous

Alan Wake

Dragon Age

Batman Arkham Asylum

Assassins Creed 2

Heavenly Sword

Guitar Hero franchise

Rock Band franchise

Forza 3

Project Gotham

Little Big Planet

Prince of Persia

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2

Brutal Legend

Oblivion

Prototype

Burnout Paradise

Pure

Dirt 2

Need for Speed: Shift

American (canada included)/ European devs have been owning this gen.

19?.... just like I said..barely, poor westernern developers..when will they unlock the door to creativity?

The majority of the games that have been AAA or near that have been made by western devs, if you need more games listed just say the word. This was only a taste.

is any of it creative? innovative?

Show me a Japanese game thats more innovative than the most innovative western games this gen. This should be good. :)

jesus kung fu magic said:

Ok the J man wants every member listing games to see where they stand on reputable review sites and how many Canadian games , American games etc. beat them out......just try not to overload the system when your listing them though

S.T.A.G.E. said:
It's stupid for people to assume Japan has owned this gen when the mass majority of AAA titles have been western.

Isn't the point of having a poll is to gather the community's opinions? I mean, If we wanted to see what western reviewers prefer, we simply look it up on metacritic.

Grand Theft Auto 4 and Call of Duty scored higher than Valkyria Chronicles, yet I think VC is the far superior game. I'm not entirely sure why the reviewers represented in metacritic are any more reputable (as a whole) than what the community here is. Sure there are biases, but it would certainly work both ways. We're looking at Western reviews.

leatherhat said:
Kasz216 said:
The wii is the most popular system this generation... driven by... software from Nintendo mostly.

So... no, i'd say Japan makes the best.

Wii sales are driven by some of the lowest quality software I've ever seen, not exactly a great argument for quality.

That's not true at all, and you know it. Whenever you see a boost in Wii hardware, it's usually because of a Nintendo title. And a good one. While Wii Music and Animal Crossing failed to raise Wii sales (two games often viewed as average or mediocre), games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart Wii raised Wii sales tremendously, and those were great games.

I don't even want to get involved in this argument, but Wii sales are not driven by shovelware. It's quite the opposite.

@MontanaHatchet

I understand your post, I also thought that the poll was in the overall panorama of games made throughout these past generations and not (sorry for my first posting, I had to edit it) focused on this most recent one solely.

I just don't understand why can't some people accept that both sides can and do make great games for us.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

MontanaHatchet said:
Did anyone read my post, or are people too busy having another tired "Western games vs. Japanese games" debate?

I read it, I'm trying to get people to appreciate both western and eastern game but they keep ignoring me. Is it because the posts are thought out? Have logic behind them? What is it about sensible posts that make them so transparent?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype