By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which is moraly (not legaly) worse? Secondhand _ Pirating _ Renting_Lending

Taking asside the legal aspect (as pirating is the only illegal one in the list... and it's morally wrong to do something illegal etc...).

I ask your personal opinion:

Which is moraly worse?

Lending : (doesn't affect PC as much, because of activation codes etc)

_ Developper sees no money after the first sale.

Second hand market (ebay and such): (doesn't affect PC as much, because of activation codes etc)

_ Customer is willing to spend a fraction of the product's price.

Pirating : (affects consoles less because of the need of mod chips or know how (psp))

_ Developper sees no money.

Renting : (doesn't affect PC as much, because of activation codes etc)

_ Developper sees no money after the first sale (is it a licence to rent?).

_ Customer is willing to spend a fraction of the product's price.

_ An other company makes a profit out of the game.

Second hand shops : (doesn't affect PC as much, because of activation codes etc)

_ Customer is willing to spend money for the product (here in France it's about 80% of the full price).

_ An other company makes a profit out of the game.

So what do you think is moraly worse? please add reasons if you have

obviously I ranked them as I posted them. (edit: renting having licenses, it should go up in the list)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

Only one of those is immoral...

Pirating hands down.

all the others you forfiet some in return even with lending to friends as they eventually have to give it back whereas pirating is getting something for nothing.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

None of them are immoral.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

From worst to least bad:

Piracy. The developer gets the money from ONE sale, and hundreds of thousands of people get the game for free. People the pirate doesn't know.

Second Hand. A different company is profiting from the game that the developer has made, but they only have as many copies as people were willing to return.

Lending. This isn't really that bad, it's just letting a friend play your game. But they are playing and finishing it without giving any money to the developer.

Renting. This is at the bottom because rental services have to pay extra money for the game and a license, so that makes up for it.

EDIT: I would say, of those, only pirating is immoral. Buying used is slightly immoral, but if one person doesn't want the game any more, why shouldn't someone else get it? It's lending, but somebody makes a profit out of it. The other two are absolutely fine. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the last three, and I don't do the first any more.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Only one of those is wrong, one could be seen as immoral but I don't have a problem with it.

• Lending-- not illegal, slightly immoral but not really.  It's still only one copy of the game being played at once.
  • Pirating-- absolutely wrong
  • Renting-- no problem with that, places that rent media pay for a rental licences
  • Secondhand-- nothing else that isn't perishable isn't immune to teh secondhand market, why should games be?

pirating

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Lending, 2nd hand market - not immoral at all, and developers that either whinge about it or make moves to stop it are acting immorally. All physical products are sold with prices being based on the knowledge that they can later be re sold. Developers need someone to blame besides themselves, so they blame us.

Renting - this is immoral. Very immoral. Developers make so much money from the rental market that it should be criminal. And it is therefore immoral to support it. Rental places cannot just buy a game from the shops and rent it out. They pay a lot for the game

Pirating - this is the only tricky one. If you usually buy 1 game every 2 months, and then decide that you will buy 1 every 2 months and pirate 1 every 2 months then who loses??

Only pirating is illegal, nothing wrong with renting / lending imo, some games you can't rent, like Wii Sports Resort or Wii Fit Plus, some games you just want to buy, so you can play with friends family or show off your coolness for owning it.

As for shitty games, its immoral to make them :)

arf yeah if lending is a license, then I should knock it up a notch on my personal list.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO