By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which is moraly (not legaly) worse? Secondhand _ Pirating _ Renting_Lending

scottie said:

Pirating - this is the only tricky one. If you usually buy 1 game every 2 months, and then decide that you will buy 1 every 2 months and pirate 1 every 2 months then who loses??

...the developer, rental store, second shop, ect still loses.  You still obviously have a want for that game and you're getting something for nothing even if it's above what you normally get.  There's nothing tricky about it.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
scottie said:

Pirating - this is the only tricky one. If you usually buy 1 game every 2 months, and then decide that you will buy 1 every 2 months and pirate 1 every 2 months then who loses??

...the developer, rental store, second shop, ect still loses.  You still obviously have a want for that game and you're getting something for nothing even if it's above what you normally get.  There's nothing tricky about it.

If I owned every game I wanted to own, I would probably have 200 Wii games. I am obviously not going to buy that many. Most I want but would not consider to be worth the price. Life is not a zero-sum game, one person can gain without another losing.

I don't actually pirate, because all the people I know that do dl a game, play it for a few hours and get bored and move on to something else, it seems people enjoy games more if they pay for them

twesterm said:
scottie said:

You can't lose nothing.  They weren't going to get money in the first place, and they still didn't get money.  It doesn't change anything.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Moraly? well out side that morals are a rather shifting standards based on culture impressions which are controllable by media. I would say that pirating is the worst morally.

Though I will add that buying the game second hand is a big insulting "Scew YOU" to the developer. Pirating at least indicates that yes you are interested, but have some kind even if peculiar reason(cheapskate, broke). Where as second hand says. "Yes I can pay for it, but I don't think your(developer) game deserves it." . Now yes you can have the weak justification that you are still supporting the industry by supporting the retail stores, but in reality you are not supporting the developers(the guys who make the game) in any form and contributing to them making another game. So in that effect financially pirating == secondhand in regards to developer income. Should you support your retail store, absolutely. It supports jobs which just helps the economy, but doesn't really help the game industry.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

only pirating is immoral.

Second hand: someone already paid for the game and the devs already got their money from the first sale, so why should they get extra money for a game they already sold?

renting: they get royalties for rentals.

Lending: me and my cousin lend each other PS3 games all the time, sometimes we add our money and buy one game together, there is nothing wrong with that

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network
ChichiriMuyo said:
twesterm said:
scottie said:

You can't lose nothing.  They weren't going to get money in the first place, and they still didn't get money.  It doesn't change anything.

You missed the two points:

1. You get something for nothing-- why should you be special?
  2. If you pirate it, you obviously have some sort of want for it.  That means you should either buy at some point down the line it if it's a definite or rent/demo it if you're not sure.

The excuse you're using is just typical pirate excuse that means nothing because they're stealing little snots actively trying to destroy the industry.

twesterm said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
twesterm said:
scottie said:

2. If you pirate it, you obviously have some sort of want for it.  That means you should either buy at some point down the line it if it's a definite or rent/demo it if you're not sure.

The excuse you're using is just typical pirate excuse that means nothing because they're stealing little snots actively trying to destroy the industry.

Spot on, further more, what's this dumbass excuse? "I wouldn't of bought it anyway"

How is that justification at all!!!

Edit - oops missed my point, if you don't pay for something you're suppose to, you go without. Simple as that.

Seece said:
twesterm said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
twesterm said:
scottie said:

Spot on, further more, what's this dumbass excuse? "I wouldn't of bought it anyway"

How is that justification at all!!!

Edit - oops missed my point, if you don't pay for something you're suppose to, you go without. Simple as that.

Also, for the lolz:

http://www.destructoid.com/ten-golden-rules-of-videogame-piracy-100961.phtml

(pay special attention to #2 and #10)

Are all you guys against pirating a game that doesn't release in your region on a region locked console? Just wondering..

twesterm said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
twesterm said:
scottie said:

I agree with twesterm.  Plus there is an economic impact for people that do not steal games.  We pay a higher price for games to offset losses, and developers decide it isn't worth the risk to bring games to platforms.  Both the PC and PSP have lost games because of pirates.  

Thanks for the input, Jeff.