By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which is moraly (not legaly) worse? Secondhand _ Pirating _ Renting_Lending

scottie said:
I almost managed to not reply, but fine, I shall.

Stealing candy bars but buying chips is not comparable to buying video games but buying other video games, because (and you of course know what is coming here) pirating a video game does not in any way, shape or form detract from the net wealth of anyone.

It's the same concept-- I do something wrong but I also do something right so I'm good.

Would you like it better if I said something like I spy on one woman changing through her window but report another peeping tom so I'm alright?

Anyways, the not actually taking anything is just one of the bullshit excuses pirates use to justify their actions as not bad so you can flaunt that around as much as you want but it really holds no ground in any way at all and still doesn't really respond to what I said above.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
scottie said:

Stealing candy bars but buying chips is not comparable to buying video games but buying other video games, because (and you of course know what is coming here) pirating a video game does not in any way, shape or form detract from the net wealth of anyone.

It's the same concept-- I do something wrong but I also do something right so I'm good.

Would you like it better if I said something like I spy on one woman changing through her window but report another peeping tom so I'm alright?

Anyways, the not actually taking anything is just one of the bullshit excuses pirates use to justify their actions as not bad so you can flaunt that around as much as you want but it really holds no ground in any way at all and still doesn't really respond to what I said above.

But the only reason you have put forward as to why pirating games is bad is because then you don't buy games that you otherwise would have.

But if the amount of games you buy is limited by your money, ie there are more games released that you want than you can buy then you are not committing a bad act and a good act when you buy one game and pirate one, you are committing a neutral act and a good act

scottie said:
twesterm said:
scottie said:

But the only reason you have put forward as to why pirating games is bad is because then you don't buy games that you otherwise would have.

But if the amount of games you buy is limited by your money, ie there are more games released that you want than you can buy then you are not committing a bad act and a good act when you buy one game and pirate one, you are committing a neutral act and a good act

But by going by that logic, you could then say since I can't afford x I can just take x whether x is a necessity or just something I want.

Is that right or does that for some reason only apply to games?

"But by going by that logic, you could then say since I can't afford x I can just take x whether x is a necessity or just something I want.

Is that right or does that for some reason only apply to games?"

Lets put that to the test. I'll go back and copy down what I said, inserting the word milk in several places

"Stealing a bottle of milk does not in any way, shape or form detract from the net wealth of anyone." Oh wait, that's not true

"But the only reason you have put forward as to why stealing milk is bad is because then you don't buy milk that you otherwise would have."

Oh wait, there was another reason presented. That you detract from the wealth of someone else

Not comparable at all.

scottie said:
"But by going by that logic, you could then say since I can't afford x I can just take x whether x is a necessity or just something I want.

Lets put that to the test. I'll go back and copy down what I said, inserting the word milk in several places

"Stealing a bottle of milk does not in any way, shape or form detract from the net wealth of anyone." Oh wait, that's not true

"But the only reason you have put forward as to why stealing milk is bad is because then you don't buy milk that you otherwise would have."

Oh wait, there was another reason presented. That you detract from the wealth of someone else

Not comparable at all.

So sneaking into movies, concerts, clubs, sporting events….  Anything that you want to see but cant afford is not wrong and is a neutral act?

Around the Network

I'd have to go with piracy.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Spiteful49 said:
scottie said:

Not comparable at all.

So sneaking into movies, concerts, clubs, sporting events….  Anything that you want to see but cant afford is not wrong and is a neutral act?

I'm going to say yes, with a few 'unless' es

If any of these events are near capacity, then it is wrong. You are detracting from the experience of paying customers and other potential customers might decide to go somewhere less busy

If these any of these places have low prices on food/drinks/any actual physical product, which is subsidised by ticket revenue, then buying said item is wrong

If people have to clear up after you, it is wrong. don't litter :P

There's probably some more provisos

Spiteful49 said:

I'm going to regret this, but...

That's not really comparable either. There's a limited amount of seating at any of those events you just mentioned, which means you're depriving someone else of experience. In Scottie's scenario, you're not depriving anyon of anything except for money you don't have.

A better analogy would be downloading movies or music. Because, you know, that is actually the same.

scottie said:

Not comparable at all.

OK, so lets say this.  Let us assume that if you budgeted for one game every two months but there are two games you want now.  Since you can only afford one game, as absurd as it is, it's a victomless crime to pirate that second and not just wait until next month.

So now lets assume that I budgeted two games every two months and I want the same two games.  I have budgeted for two games so I buy the two games.

Since you're assuming that situation is perfectly acceptable that brings about several questions besides the fact you think stealing is alright:

1. Why is my money worth less than yours (and lets assume we're both using the same currancy so we can avoid the obvious lawl US$ joke)?
  2. If an unexpected expense comes up that makes it so I can only afford one game this two month period, can I pirate the other game guilt free?
  3. What is wrong with simply waiting a month or some amount of time to get that 2nd game?
  4. Is gaming a necessity?  Why is it alright to steal a game if I can't afford it?

Please answer those four questions.

twesterm said:

OK, so lets say this.  Let us assume that if you budgeted for one game every two months but there are two games you want now.  Since you can only afford one game, as absurd as it is, it's victomless crime to pirate that second and not just wait until next month.

So now lets assume that I budgeted two games every two months and I want the same two games.  I have budgeted for two games so I buy the two games.

Since you're assuming that situation is perfectly acceptable that brings about several questions besides the fact you think stealing is alright:

1. Why is my money worth less than yours?
  2. If an unexpected expense comes up that makes it so I can only afford one game this two month period, can I pirate the other game?
  3. Is gaming a necessity?  Why is it alright to steal a game if I can't afford it?

Please answer those three questions.

Consumer goods are consumer goods, there's no line drawn between "necessities" and "luxuries" most of the time - that is, if you've read your Marx.