By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which is moraly (not legaly) worse? Secondhand _ Pirating _ Renting_Lending

So seecee

You recognise that pirating can be done in such a way that does not harm anyone, and yet you still oppose it purely because it's not right. Whilst I have to admire your stance, it seems a bit pointless

twesterm, you're just being silly now "actively trying to destroy the industry." Think about that. Why would a pirate want the industry to collapse? Even if you are going to attempt to claim that piracy will/could destroy the industry, don't for a second claim that that is the aim of pirates.

Around the Network
scottie said:
So seecee

You recognise that pirating can be done in such a way that does not harm anyone, and yet you still oppose it purely because it's not right. Whilst I have to admire your stance, it seems a bit pointless

twesterm, you're just being silly now "actively trying to destroy the industry." Think about that. Why would a pirate want the industry to collapse? Even if you are going to attempt to claim that piracy will/could destroy the industry, don't for a second claim that that is the aim of pirates.

What else would they be doing by stealing games?  They know they're stealing so they know they're destroying everything people have put years of blood, sweat, and tears into because they can't be bothered to pay for it.

Just read the article I linked to above-- pirates try all sorts of things to lie themselves why they're stealing games but in the end they are just cheap, greedy, selfish little fucks.

You think that the main aim of pirates is the destruction of the video game industry

Please answer yes or no

scottie said:
You think that the main aim of pirates is the destruction of the video game industry

Please answer yes or no

The main aim-- no.  Their main aim is to get something for free. 

As for do they know they're actively trying to destroy the industry?

1. They know they are stealing.
  2. They know that whoever they are stealing from hurts them (in this case, buy not giving them the money they deserve).
  3. Therefore, they know they are stealing to hurt people and hurt their business.
  4. If they are trying to hurt their business, they are trying to destroy it.

you haven't listed the only criminal one:

- pirating the game and selling it to other people (mostly at a fraction of the real price, sometimes for full price)

Around the Network

Using society as the benchmark for right and wrong (moral and immoral).

Piracy because it is theft (Do not bother defining theft you know what is implied)

This would be closely followed by Second Hand because in my mind that is corporate equivalent of piracy. Of course it is legal but is it morally right to deprive the developer of the entire revenue stream.

Lending really depends on how long you loan the item in my opinion. You could say it is an extended demo or if you let them complete the game at their own leisure then 1 or 2 potential lost sales.

Rental - That is actually a business model which the games industry should adopt to prevent the corporate piracy from taking place.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
twesterm said:
scottie said:

Please answer yes or no

Do they know full well that they're stealing?  Yes.  Do they or should they know stealing hurts the people trying to provide them with the product?  Yes.  Does that mean they know they are hurting those people?  Yes.  Does that mean they are actively trying to hurt them?  Yes.

There's a difference between actively trying to hurt someone and being unconcerned as to wether your actions hurt them. And I've already stated that I believe that not all pirates hurt developers. Infact some still buy games and thus help them.

But oh well, we can disagree and that's fine with me

scottie said:
twesterm said:
scottie said:

Please answer yes or no

Do they know full well that they're stealing?  Yes.  Do they or should they know stealing hurts the people trying to provide them with the product?  Yes.  Does that mean they know they are hurting those people?  Yes.  Does that mean they are actively trying to hurt them?  Yes.

There's a difference between actively trying to hurt someone and being unconcerned as to wether your actions hurt them. And I've already stated that I believe that not all pirates hurt developers. Infact some still buy games and thus help them.

But oh well, we can disagree and that's fine with me

That's like saying I steal candy bars but buy bags of chips so I'm alright.  Why should they be rewarded for doing something they should be doing anyways?

And as I said above (I edited my post from what you have quoted to make it clearer) they know they are stealing which means they know they are hurting the industry which means they know they are destroying it.  Therefore, by trying to pirate, they are trying to destroy the industry.

I almost managed to not reply, but fine, I shall.

Stealing candy bars but buying chips is not comparable to buying video games but buying other video games, because (and you of course know what is coming here) pirating a video game does not in any way, shape or form detract from the net wealth of anyone.

noname2200 said:
Only one of those is immoral...