By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple: PSP and DS just not cool anymore overpriced too

Buying experience for DS and PSP is poor says marketing boss

The competition between iPhone, PSP and DS is hotting up - Apple used its iPod showcase event today to highlight its position in comparison to other handheld games platforms.

Specifically, the firm moved to crticise the buying experience for the DS and PSP in comparison to the iPhone and iPod Touch.

"When [DS and PSP] came out, they seemed so cool. But once you play a game on the iPod touch, you think 'hey, these things aren't so cool any more..." said Apple's marketing VP Phil Schiller.

"We're talking about 25, 30, 40 dollars a title. The kids can't afford those titles. Worse isn't the price, it's the buying experience."

A demo slide at the event compared the quantity of games on the platforms: PSP's 607 games, DS' 3,680 and then iPod touch's 21,178, before kicking into a video montage of App Store games.

Apple then showcased a number of new iPhone/iPod Touch games to prove the point.

These included an Assassin's Creed II game for the iPhone coming from Ubisoft (not, intriguingly, the developer of the original Assassin's Creed game, Gameloft).

Meanwhile Tapulous, creator of Tap Tap Revenge, also demoed Riddim Ribbon, its latest music game, which launches in October with three special Black Eyed Peas "content bundles".

Gameloft did debut later with a new FPS called Nova, while EA also showed off the iPhone version of its venerable Madden NFL 2010 title.

Apple's showcase was designed to promote a raft of new services and products, including the new iTunes 9 and new iPod hardware - however, with games given such a lengthy moment in the spotlight, it's clear the firm is taking games development and its relationship with the industry very seriously.

Wow Apple is getting aggressive. 

Around the Network

Ha! I love it when Apple talks about anything else being overpriced.

What. A. Joke.

My DS is still cool I touch it all the time. I make sure I tap it once and awhile....

Former something....

This is hilarious. Apple really thinks it has a console that can compete with the DS and PSP, how cute.

And doesn't the iPod Touch cost more than either?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

lmao

Apple FAILS

look @ DS sales & tell me again its not cool anymore

the things a monster

a monster that everyone IS in the shadow of.....no two opinions about that.....its pretty much a fact

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

twesterm said:
Ha! I love it when Apple talks about anything else being overpriced.

Agreed.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Apple saying something is overpriced when it costs £500+ here to get an iphone that is not locked to that retarded O2 network... Wake me when they get a grip on reality! *falls asleep*

We'll see. The revenue for iPhone games tops WiiWare and VC (and DSi, naturally) overall, but the top games make less than the top VC/WiiWare games. And it's absolutely nothing on DS retail games. Since Apple isn't pushing the platform much with first party games in the way Nintendo and Sony do, they will rely on third parties viewing the platform as worthwhile.

Some good, small games are very profitable, but games with a lot of content will need more revenue than what's currently feasible on iphone. Ports of DS games may work well.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Apple are twats, and there are no good iPhone games, they are cheaper, but worse... that is it, and after that press conference, I was seriously considering selling my iPod because I hate them so much