By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple: PSP and DS just not cool anymore overpriced too

thansen said:

I wont argue that the iphone/ipod touch is better gaming platform than the PSP or DS.  However, if you don't think it is a serious contender in the mobile gaming market, your simply in denial.  There are 37 million of these things out there already, and apple is currently selling them at a rate of  7 million per quarter.    VGChartz does not currently track the iphone hardware but it probably should.

There is more development being done for the iphone platform than all other mobile platforms combined.   Anyone can download the SDK for the iphone.   For $100 you can become a licenesed develper, and Apple will distribute you apps.   This has created the monstrous numbers of apps available for the iphone.  I will freely admit a lot of it is crap, but when there is that many develepors there will be some interesting apps. 

My current perspective:  The iphone is the Wii of the mobile platforms.  It has come out of nowhere.  Its success is completely unexpected.  It is finding a new audience of casual gamers.  It will probably domminate the casual gaming market.

The only problem is that most people don't buy iPhone/iPod touch for gaming. Probably around 90% of the owners of them (just a guess) never buy even a single game for iPhone. People buying games for iPhone are the same people who buys flash games for other cell phones. iPhone is bought for phone capabilities and iPod touch for media capabilities, almost nobody buys them for gaming (it is just extra feature). If VGChartz should track iPhone then they should track ALL cell phones because all cell phones can nowadays be used for gaming.

Around the Network

Do you need help finding a steak. There's an app for that.

How about a groomer for your dog. There's an app for that too.

Need a good fart joke? There's an app for that.

Lost in Wal-Mart? There's an app for that.

Want to know the latest news on the Octamom? There's an App for that....

There's an app for just about everything on the iPhone.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

This is the EXACT reason I hope Apple never release a console......

I guess we'll know Apple has made it in the gaming industry when they stop being the only hardware manufacturer which you're allowed to flame on this site. Imagine how hard the banhammer would drop on people if some of these posts were about Nintendo or Sony.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Untamoi said:
thansen said:

I wont argue that the iphone/ipod touch is better gaming platform than the PSP or DS.  However, if you don't think it is a serious contender in the mobile gaming market, your simply in denial.  There are 37 million of these things out there already, and apple is currently selling them at a rate of  7 million per quarter.    VGChartz does not currently track the iphone hardware but it probably should.

There is more development being done for the iphone platform than all other mobile platforms combined.   Anyone can download the SDK for the iphone.   For $100 you can become a licenesed develper, and Apple will distribute you apps.   This has created the monstrous numbers of apps available for the iphone.  I will freely admit a lot of it is crap, but when there is that many develepors there will be some interesting apps. 

My current perspective:  The iphone is the Wii of the mobile platforms.  It has come out of nowhere.  Its success is completely unexpected.  It is finding a new audience of casual gamers.  It will probably domminate the casual gaming market.

The only problem is that most people don't buy iPhone/iPod touch for gaming. Probably around 90% of the owners of them (just a guess) never buy even a single game for iPhone. People buying games for iPhone are the same people who buys flash games for other cell phones. iPhone is bought for phone capabilities and iPod touch for media capabilities, almost nobody buys them for gaming (it is just extra feature). If VGChartz should track iPhone then they should track ALL cell phones because all cell phones can nowadays be used for gaming.

I am fairly certian you are wrong with your 90% number.   As of april this year, iphone users had downloaded 1 billion apps from the apple store.   With only 37 million devices, I would guess that the large majority of iphone owners are downloading apps from the store.  How many of these apps are games?   

You are correct people don't buy it for gaming, but that is unimportant.   People do use them for gaming, and that is important.  Why would a casual gamer choose to carry something for gaming when they can play games on their mp3 player or their cell phone?  The economics of the mobile gaming market is changing.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
I guess we'll know Apple has made it in the gaming industry when they stop being the only hardware manufacturer which you're allowed to flame on this site. Imagine how hard the banhammer would drop on people if some of these posts were about Nintendo or Sony.

Maybe if Apple didn't have ads that directly mocked their competitors and try to act like they're some kind of underdog while having a 'superior product', they wouldn't be mocked themselves.

As it has been shown time and time again, this only leads to short term profits but long term negative imacts on your company.

axumblade said:
Yeah.....Apple being acknowledged as competition by Sony and Nintendo happens about as often as Sony and Microsoft acknowledge Nintendo as competition...

Sony and MS acknowledge Nintendo as a competitor all the time.  Even state on a regular basis how they are losing to Nintendo in sales and have shown quite well that they are working to copy Nintendo's strategy now.  Its Nintendo who tries to say they aren't competing with the other two companies.

LMFAO apple saying other products are overpriced! god the world is gonna explode

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Yes the iphone isn't as good at gaming as their mobile gaming competitors but to simply dismiss them is akin to burying you head in the ground to blot out the noise.

Apple is being tremendously successful in the mobile sector and that WILL translate into success in the gaming segment of that market. Its not entirely comparable due to the completely different business models they have to Nintendo and Sony but in the future they may well become direct competition. Especially considering both Nintendo and Sony now have the capacity to digitally distribute games.

But yes, its damn funny that they think the DS and PSP are overpriced. But to underestimate them would be stupid because as a company they're now very formidable (and have a very large war chest).

FaRmLaNd said:
Yes the iphone isn't as good at gaming as their mobile gaming competitors but to simply dismiss them is akin to burying you head in the ground to blot out the noise.

Apple is being tremendously successful in the mobile sector and that WILL translate into success in the gaming segment of that market. Its not entirely comparable due to the completely different business models they have to Nintendo and Sony but in the future they may well become direct competition. Especially considering both Nintendo and Sony now have the capacity to digitally distribute games.

But yes, its damn funny that they think the DS and PSP are overpriced. But to underestimate them would be stupid because as a company they're now very formidable (and have a very large war chest).

^Quoting, thus other people will pay attention to reasonable words that have just been posted.