By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog "Maxed Out" The PS3 With Uncharted 2

preordering soon for me

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
This is good news. Naughty Dog can finally stop maxing out consoles and can focus on fun factor.

Come on guys, lets see you make something as fun as Splosion man. You don't have to "max out" the graphics with every game.

Naughty Dog doesn't have issues making something fun, this won't apply to them.

I don't know man...Uncharted 1 had huge focus on presentation and gameplay was a Tomb Raider and gears of war offspring. Nothing really was wrong with it but it wasn't original in any way.

Think about it this way... Strip away the amazing visuals. Does uncharted even work as a game with out that? Not really. The movie-like gameplay for Uncharted (and gears) would be laughable if they didn't look good.

Naughty Dog should try and make a puzzle game and see if they know how to engage a player without relying on presentation so much.

Isn't this like already the third article about the same topic ???
It's getting annoying.....

disolitude said:
This is good news. Naughty Dog can finally stop maxing out consoles and can focus on fun factor.

Come on guys, lets see you make something as fun as Splosion man. You don't have to "max out" the graphics with every game.

They know how to make games fun. I bought Jak & Daxter PS2 games for my PS3 and played through Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 3 times (in English, Dutch and German).

And maxing out the hardware doesn't have to do strictly with graphics and audio in the way many focus on. It can be more related to world complexity, onscreen activity, etc. With regard to graphics assets, the techicals go only so far. A game based on excellent technology with bad taste and/or polish can look worse than a greatly polished game based on an inferior game engine. Using Blu-Ray capacity in combination with an optimised streaming engine you can generate better quality assets though (but like a bad photograph in high quality, a good photograph in bad quality can look much better/interesting).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:

I don't know man...Uncharted 1 had huge focus on presentation and gameplay was a Tomb Raider and gears of war offspring. Nothing really was wrong with it but it wasn't original in any way.

Think about it this way... Strip away the amazing visuals. Does uncharted even work as a game with out that? Not really. The movie-like gameplay for Uncharted (and gears) would be laughable if they didn't look good.

Naughty Dog should try and make a puzzle game and see if they know how to engage a player without relying on presentation so much.

Joke post? Most games are repetitive and un-original. Every ONCE in a while a game is fresh. GeoW, LBP, First few of the Wii series. I mean... the highest selling games like Halo and CoD are much more repetitive and un-original than uncharted was.,

Around the Network
MikeB said:
disolitude said:

They know how to make games fun. I bought Jak & Daxter PS2 games for my PS3 and played through Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 3 times (in English, Dutch and German).

And maxing out the hardware doesn't have to do strictly with graphics and audio in the way many focus on. It can be more related to world complexity, onscreen activity, etc. With regard to graphics assets, the techicals go only so far. A game based on excellent technology with bad taste and/or polish can look worse than a greatly polished game based on an inferior game engine. Using Blu-Ray capacity in combination with an optimised streaming engine you can generate better quality assets though (but like a bad photograph in high quality, a good photograph in bad quality can look much better/interesting).

I played many Naughty Dog games. 

They always had presentation and visuals outclass gameplay. Crash Bandicoot looked great and was fun but really simple and shallow gameplay wise. Hence why Crash is forgotten and Mario 64 is still remembered. they came out at the same time, with similar reviews. Jak and Dexter again looked AMAZING on PS2 but gameplay was nothing special. There were games out at that time that played much better than Jak and Dexer (like Maximo) but didn't get the attention since they didn't look as good.

Same with Uncharted. Nothing is broked about it...but its so uneventful gameplay wise. Its like Starbucks coffee. Big, expensive, flashy, mass produced...but pales to an espresso you get at the small italian cafe. Stuff naughty dog makes, along with a lot of next gen games to me is disposable gaming...here today, gone tomorrow when next flashy visual shallow title is out.

JEDE3 said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:

Joke post? Most games are repetitive and un-original. Every ONCE in a while a game is fresh. GeoW, LBP, First few of the Wii series. I mean... the highest selling games like Halo and CoD are much more repetitive and un-original than uncharted was.,

I agree wih COD but Halo is different... If Uncharted came out with Halo like graphics, it would have scored low 70s.

their games is prettier than any game. :P

except crysis probably, but thats impressive for a 299$ console.

... Yes... yes you have... just like Tekken Maxed out the 360....

Oh, and Modnation Racers is using the full power of the PS3 aswell.

4 ≈ One

JEDE3 said:
disolitude said:

You're comparing two games with online gameplay, splitscreen, co-op, and tons of tweakable options, to a 10-hour'ish-long campaign and calling them repetitive? The definition of "repetitive" must've changed recently....

Some people here make a really good point. In the long run, graphics really are nothing. Why is it that Halo3/CoD are always used for comparisons? Why isn't Halo3/Killzone2? KZ2 was being hyped to death because of it's graphics, but look at it now. It's rarely ever brought up for it's gameplay. When the next graphics king comes along, it'll become even less popular. There's a reason why some ancient games are still praised and mentioned often today.

Now I'm not saying Uncharted 2 is gonna suck, I'm just not too sure about it yet. I don't want it to be another KZ2. The online is what has me most interested, but outside graphics, there's not much we know about the game.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link