By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog "Maxed Out" The PS3 With Uncharted 2

"Maxed Out" =/= "Fully Optimized" there will be people who will do greater things, or ND will do it again themselves, it's not hard to max something out, but it's very hard to fully optimize, big difference. So if people think this is the full potential of the PS3, I assure you it's not, just saying.

Around the Network

GOTY

Staude said:
selnor said:
Theres more to come from PS3 yet. After all Uncharted 2 is no CryEngine 3. So dont worry Crysis 2, or any other decent developer that uses CryEngone 3 will have a more impressive technical game than Uncharted 2. The PS3 is not done yet. :)

Well while you're not going to agree with this, i think uncharted 2 is way more impressive then crysis. It's about more than what you see visually in a frame. And a single still frame is all crysis has going for it. Animations are nowhere near uncharted, the AI is stupid, level design was pretty bad .. etc. There are many levels where uncharted 2 beats crysis and some of them are also visual.

Not only that but crytek is terrible at optimising their games.  But you're right the ps3 is not done yet, uncharted 3 will hopefully come.

I wasn't really refering to Crysis 1. That game is a few years old now. But under the hood is more technically impressive than Uncharted 2. An example is that Uncharted 2 is not all realtime. ( lighting etc. ) It was confirmed at GDC that the only Engine on consoles running FULLY realtime is Cry Engine 3. Animation depends on how much time you spend on motion capture. A decent dev who puts funds into motion capture will make CryEngine 3 alot ahead of any other engine. It was fairly common knowledge at GDC that CE3 is the most advanced engine on consoles. After all no console engine comes close to being able to replicate Crysis 1 level of tech except CryEngine 3.