By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog "Maxed Out" The PS3 With Uncharted 2

Naughty Dog 'maxed out' the PS3 with Uncharted 2

Despite the copious amount of gigglebytes and Dilithium Crystals under the hood of the PS3, it's never enough for developers. Their lot is constantly pushing envelopes and raising bars everywhere they go -- and the fine folks at Naughty Dog are no exception. During a preview of Uncharted 2 at PAX, Naughty Dog's Amy Hennig commented that the first Uncharted game only managed to utilize a third of the PS3's power, but Naughty Dog has "maxed it out" for the sequel.

This is something Naughty Dog achieved by taking a lot of the processes on the main processor and shifting them onto the SPUs. This allowed the developers to significantly increase the quality of the animations and other aspects of the game, leaving the main processor to "focus on getting all of that richness in the backgrounds." Well, whatever that means, we're glad they did it. This game is purty.

Head past the break to watch the video interview -- around the 3:37 mark is where she starts talking about the powah of the PS3.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Meh, they've been spouting off how they were using the full potential of the PS3 since they took down the bit about anyone saying they use x% of a console is shitting you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm eagerly awaiting Uncharted 2, I'm just sick of hearing this every other week from them.  This ranks up there with the announcement of announcements on the things that annoy me list.

No more potentials?

Amazing.. I want this game..

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

They are damn close

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

It is like they are crying wolf.

No really guys THIS time we maxed it out.

If the game is good, who cares if it is using 1% or 100% of the machine's power.

Powah of the PS3!

Take my love, take my land..

yea yea yeeeeeea......so has every exclusive developer before you...*eyeroll*

CGI-Quality said:
pic414 said:

If the game is good, who cares if it is using 1% or 100% of the machine's power.

I doubt they're telling people that for them to throw a parade about it. It's to inform the public of what to expect from such a project.

No, I'm pretty sure they only say that to create more buzz about the game.

Again, taking their own words (paraphrased a bit since I don't have quote)-- anyone that tells you they are using 100% of a console are blowing smoke up your ass.

And hey, Joystiq and threads like this prove it works so yay for them.

pic414 said:

lmao

they never said before that they maxed it, they said maybe a 3rd of its power used with Uncharted1