By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog "Maxed Out" The PS3 With Uncharted 2

Didn't they max it out with uncharted 1 too?

In otherwords.... such statements are worthless.

Around the Network

maxed it out at this point in time.

Dont all devs do that

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I think this game looks to be the best this gen so far. I couldn't care less about the numbers jumping around in the background.

@disolitude I disagree that uncharted is not as fun. In fact i personally enjoy it more than Halo or COD. I actually find those games MP to be far more repetitive than a well scripted SP experience. Online seems like level grinding to me in FPS i just run around the same maps for hours shooting everything in sight. But to each their own I suppose.

Procrastinato said:
twesterm said:
CGI-Quality said:
twesterm said:

No, I'm pretty sure they only say that to create more buzz about the game.

Again, taking their own words (paraphrased a bit since I don't have quote)-- anyone that tells you they are using 100% of a console are blowing smoke up your ass.

And hey, Joystiq and threads like this prove it works so yay for them.

If that's true, this would be hypocritical, I agree.

I found the quote but forgot how to do the whole cache thing (if I can even do that) and don't feel like taking the time to try to figure it out, but:

But on there Jak and Dexter FAQ page:

Any developer who gives you a “percent of system used” answer is blowing smoke. The truth is that every developer uses 100% of the systems power on every game. Some just get more out of that 100% than others.

This is about the best proof I can give.

And what they say there makes perfect sense-- you can use 100% of the system, and most peopel do, but what matters is how they utilize it.  Looking at Uncharted and what I've seen of Uncharted 2 it looks like they have utlized it quite well.

The PS3 tuning tools show you the time, during a frame, during which each SPU (and the PPU threads) is idle or busy.  The gives a pretty good indication of how well you've parallel-ified your app to work with the Cell.

Most devs who state they are using "X %" of the SPUs, are basically just stating that they have only embraced the parallism of the processor to that degree.  If the SPUs are constantly busy, that's a pretty impressive accomplishment, because it means they've ported enough work over to the SPUs, and organized their game frame in such a manner that all of them are in use at all times.

Sure, their code can probably be optimized further... but I believe the claim is more about not letting cores go idle -- which is the real challenge in utilizing the PS3 to its full potential, in the end.

Most devs do NOT use all the SPUs, all the time.  Many early apps and ports didn't even use the SPUs at all.  There's a big difference between last gen and this one, in that regard, so the quote you have there is really out of context.

In any case, I think they have good reason to be proud of their engine -- they obviously have accomplished what many devs in the future will be striving for... efficient usage of a parallel architecture.  A much harder task than you might think, for complicated apps.

what an excellent post. you really know what your talking about

This post anwser any question you want top ask

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

nen-suer said:
Procrastinato said:
twesterm said:
CGI-Quality said:
twesterm said:

No, I'm pretty sure they only say that to create more buzz about the game.

Again, taking their own words (paraphrased a bit since I don't have quote)-- anyone that tells you they are using 100% of a console are blowing smoke up your ass.

And hey, Joystiq and threads like this prove it works so yay for them.

If that's true, this would be hypocritical, I agree.

I found the quote but forgot how to do the whole cache thing (if I can even do that) and don't feel like taking the time to try to figure it out, but:

But on there Jak and Dexter FAQ page:

Any developer who gives you a “percent of system used” answer is blowing smoke. The truth is that every developer uses 100% of the systems power on every game. Some just get more out of that 100% than others.

This is about the best proof I can give.

And what they say there makes perfect sense-- you can use 100% of the system, and most peopel do, but what matters is how they utilize it.  Looking at Uncharted and what I've seen of Uncharted 2 it looks like they have utlized it quite well.

The PS3 tuning tools show you the time, during a frame, during which each SPU (and the PPU threads) is idle or busy.  The gives a pretty good indication of how well you've parallel-ified your app to work with the Cell.

Most devs who state they are using "X %" of the SPUs, are basically just stating that they have only embraced the parallism of the processor to that degree.  If the SPUs are constantly busy, that's a pretty impressive accomplishment, because it means they've ported enough work over to the SPUs, and organized their game frame in such a manner that all of them are in use at all times.

Sure, their code can probably be optimized further... but I believe the claim is more about not letting cores go idle -- which is the real challenge in utilizing the PS3 to its full potential, in the end.

Most devs do NOT use all the SPUs, all the time.  Many early apps and ports didn't even use the SPUs at all.  There's a big difference between last gen and this one, in that regard, so the quote you have there is really out of context.

In any case, I think they have good reason to be proud of their engine -- they obviously have accomplished what many devs in the future will be striving for... efficient usage of a parallel architecture.  A much harder task than you might think, for complicated apps.

what an excellent post. you really know what your talking about

This post anwser any question you want top ask

Indeed, indeed, and see my sig... I love how this thread works so nicely with Valve's 2007 statements about how they were utilizing PS3 hardware....before they decided to just insult the hardware.

Around the Network

@Loud_Hot_White_Box

LOL, nice find

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Kasz216 said:

Didn't they max it out with uncharted 1 too?

In otherwords.... such statements are worthless.

Actually they stated they still had a lot of headroom.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Adjudicator said:
I think this game looks to be the best this gen so far. I couldn't care less about the numbers jumping around in the background.

@disolitude I disagree that uncharted is not as fun. In fact i personally enjoy it more than Halo or COD. I actually find those games MP to be far more repetitive than a well scripted SP experience. Online seems like level grinding to me in FPS i just run around the same maps for hours shooting everything in sight. But to each their own I suppose.

I never said that it wasn't fun...just that its gamplay is blah! Not really a meaty gamelay expereince. But I see why someone that likes scripted cinematic games would go nuts over it. I presonally can't stand them unles the story its based around is mindblowing...aka MGS1 and MGS3.

Every other game I've played that sacrificed gamplay for story had horrid story so it wasn't a fair trade of. Like did anyone really like Gears 2 story? Seriously...bunch of apes with typewriters could have written that game. When the shooting gets going the game rocks but atleast 3 hours is wasted on talking, cinmatics, disruption of gamplay with more talking and cinematics. So annoying... I thought Uncharted was the same as that...maybe a litle bit better.

But Im a rare breed. Raiden IV which is a verticla plane shooter is higher rated in my books than Unchrted and Gears 2...

Agreed. They probably thought the same with PS2 with games like metal gear 3, vice city etc. But then look at the games later on like GOW 2 and San Andreas. To this day, I still think that the environment, background and cutscenes of GOW could be accepted as worthy as an early PS3 game. Consoles can never be 'maxed' out because then software sales would plummet and newer consoles would have to come out far more frequently, I'd understand if they ran out of idea's for games but seriously... ideas are endless in a world that thought up Charlie the Unicorn and Zeus.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Is saying a game is maxing out a systems power a bad thing?

It seems to be a glass half full half empty type feel to it..

On one side people see an amazing game about to be released, on the other side people see it as a limit to a system.

Maybe with Uncharted's new engine it's maxed out, the system just can't handle that engine, don't see the problem, many games have different engines they are built on, Naughties next engine might use textures that look better but use less resources..

just saying..

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o