By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apparently the wii is done in twelve months tops

What we are seeing here, in regards to the Invisible Walls episode, is the hysteric and desperate sputterings of the so-called "hardcore" and how completely befuddled they are that the Wii is "destroying" their precious hobby. I've only heard such venomous talk on GT forums, but never on their podcasts, which seems to revolve around that Welsh douchers hate for anything, gaming wise, that lacks giant explosions and gunnery. The good news is, such venom cannot be sustained, it burns itself out and eventually dies out completely. I'm done with IW, their integrity has been in question before, but this episode was the zenith of ignorance and knee-jerk fanboy rhetoric........but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, their tears ARE oh so sweet.

Around the Network

Who cares what they think, the Wii will still outsell the PS3 and 360. You can always wonder why, but like they said, the Wii is for everyone, my mother wants one and my grandmother likes it also, its user friendly and the games are great for kids. I know if my kids would play video games, I'd buy them a Wii, not a console with games that you can blow up your opponent into pieces lol. Also the Wii is the best party console, hands down.

In the end, it doesn't matter how many versions of the PS3 they release, its still not going to sell. Its not because its smaller that all of sudden everyone will want it lol. Look at the 360 arcade its cheaper to buy that than the Wii, still its outselling it 2:1, so why will it be different with the PS3, I don't know.

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

SaviorX said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Of course I make the best reviews ever! :P

But yeah TV news by a large part is driven by the ignorance of people, I've written many MANY English papers on this sort of thing, my teachers seem to enjoy them since I'm pretty passionate when it comes to the subject.  I really don't like it when any form of media comes off as being informative, helpful, and unbiased but you actually read into things and all they're doing is making news to get more people to read and in turn more money.  I for one give my time to a place that at least tries to be fair and balanced. 

IGN is probably the only large site I visit and even then I've done my homework on the staff so I know who writes good articles and who I'd rather shoot myself then read.

Craig Harris, Daemon Hatfield, and Hillary Goldstein go in the shooting category. Matt Cassamassina jumps in and out of both from time to time. He's ok with me.

Craig I don't mind though his write ups are rather boring to read most of the time.  Daemon has already put his foot in his mouth, he trolled in a podcast and readers tore him a new one.  I pretty much don't read anything from the Sony team with the exception of Greg Miller he's cool and makes good reviews.  Matt C. is a great reviewer just 2008 was weird he got really upset the Wii lacked big games, and even said the drought was worse then Gamecube and it's just nostalgia talking since GC has some BIG droughts.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

ramses01 said:
KungKras said:
And here I used to like gametrailers :(

I can't believe how much they hate the Wii. But the PS1 and 2 taking over and trying to monopolize consoles and making gaming more hollywood-like was OK to them?

Anybody that hates Nintendo automatically moves to my "might not be a total idiot column" which is a pretty big accomplishment

Are you really as idiotic as you sound. You must loath yourself

We are talking about a videogame console.  

And it sounds like you are pretty arragant as well

SamuelRSmith said:
waron said:
every smaller japanese and western developer object just as all big publishers. if the wii would end then:
say goodbye to pretty much all small console development studios that previously worked on ps2/xbox/gc games last gen,
say goodbye to many psp games since many of them are wii ports,
say goodbye to all niche games on a console,
say goodbye to Atlus games on consoles,
say goodbye to Suda51 games on consoles,
etc.

Aren't all these essentially the same point?

-

Eh, I don't care for the Wii, myself, and I don't think it's going to reach the 50% market share, and in the short run, the market share may drop to sub 45%, but it will still remain the number 1 console on the market.

is this if wii is done?

I don't think so, simply because it would still be around, not gone or unsupported. People still support dreamcast, so , yaknow?

Anyway, that takes care of the first 3 goodbyes, as for the next two atlas and suda, both are planning games on psp or ps3. They would adapt because psp is basically a ps2. Plus, motion controls will be available for all systems soon, and they could always support ps2, which does move quite a bit of software each month.

Around the Network

Well, the Wii could easily be destroyed by the PS3 or Xbox if they are used right

The linked article and view of the OP are dumber than Helen Keller.

The only way 360 or PS3 can catch the Wii at this stage is if they sell their systems for $100.
Plain and simple. There's a much tougher market to sell to now that the systems have been out 3-4 years respectively. Price cuts are designed to maintain steady sales instead of a continuing downward trend. They DO NOT bring the sales numbers back to launch.

The majority of the development world see Natal and PS3 motion as "me too" devices to draw casual games. The issue is, since its HD, it will cost more to make a casual HD game than a casual Wii game, plus Wii has the casual market already.

Translation - Natal and PS3 motion will only provide "Wii-like" control experience to the current userbases, not do much to increase sales.

That's it, that's all.

Munkeh111 said:
Well, the Wii could easily be destroyed by the PS3 or Xbox if they are used right

Yes I agree, dropping the PS3 or 360 repeatedly on the Wii probably will destroy it, once you manage to break the plastic casing

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Munkeh111 said:

Yes I agree, dropping the PS3 or 360 repeatedly on the Wii probably will destroy it, once you manage to break the plastic casing

I'm not sure you even have to drop them, the Phat PS3 is a bit pointy so you could crack it easily. You could also stick the consoles with the vent pointing towards it and you might melt it?

bardicverse said:
The linked article and view of the OP are dumber than Helen Keller.

The only way 360 or PS3 can catch the Wii at this stage is if they sell their systems for $100.

That's it, that's all. Plain and simple. There's a much tougher market to sell to now that the systems have been out 3-4 years respectively. Price cuts are designed to maintain steady sales instead of a continuing downward trend. They DO NOT bring the sales numbers back to launch.

The majority of the development world see Natal and PS3 motion as "me too" devices to draw casual games. The issue is, since its HD, it will cost more to make a casual HD game than a casual Wii game, plus Wii has the casual market already.

Translation - Natal and PS3 motion will only provide "Wii-like" control experience to the current userbases, not do much to increase sales.

That's it, that's all.

Yeah... the fact that the controllers don't come with the console and probably won't be packaged with a huge selling title of something like Wii Sports Resort, few publishers will descide to support the devices, much like the PS Eye (which is one of the requirements of the PS3 Wand no less) and then Natal acts much like the PS Eye just a more advanced version.  One of the things Nintendo stated when they came up with the Wii remote was why didn't they go with something like the motion cameras like the PS2 did and they said customers would rather have something in their hands to play their games abd doing so also makes the controller versitile.

The main reason Nintendo has won this gen is because they listen to people, their line of thinking has always been making games that make people smile, things they enjoy, people would rather feel like they're swinging a bat instead of swinging their hands to simulate a bat which a camera will pick up and emulate. Motion controls have a long ways to go on all fronts but I think the camera idea has been tried multiple times now and have yet to really take off, so why beat a dead horse?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000