By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apparently the wii is done in twelve months tops

It was a pretty cool podcast coming from extremely respected gaming journalists such as Geoff Keighley.

I believe everybody realize at this point that Wii ain't a 25-30 million per year selling console anymore.

2009 will sell less than 20 million Wiis.

And if it continues, next year can be down to 15 million Wiis while PS3 will sell at least 13 million consoles, meaning they could be neck and neck. That would look almost embarrassing to some cocky Nintendo fans, while Sony fans would start feeling like the kings they always have been.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
It was a pretty cool podcast coming from extremely respected gaming journalists such as Geoff Keighley.

I believe everybody realize at this point that Wii ain't a 25-30 million per year selling console anymore.

And if it continues, next year can be down to 15 million Wiis while PS3 will sell at least 13 million consoles, meaning they could be neck and neck. That would look almost embarrassing to some cocky Nintendo fans, while Sony fans would start feeling like the kings they always have been.

I see u are counting ps3 sales at 13 mil before 1 slim has cashed out

PS3 fans are by far the cockiest slime

Nintendo sales are down from epic sales wow big deal the ps3 is still 300 dollars with a game going for 60 bucks 

way to expensive for a toy

mhsillen said:
Slimebeast said:

I see u are counting ps3 sales at 13 mil before 1 slim has cashed out

PS3 fans are by far the cockiest slime

Nintendo sales are down from epic sales wow big deal the ps3 is still 300 dollars with a game going for 60 bucks 

way to expensive for a toy

Are you still in college or high school? Do you have a real job? I'm not supporting the wii bashing and i don't think Sony is going to destroy anyone but $300 plus $60 is not even to close to expensive for a "toy" as you call it.

Had to change my sig to get some moderator to quit bitching about it......

Slimebeast said:

You do know the Wii is the only console to ever sell that much in a year right? It's unprecedented and quite silly to believe any console would be able to sustain such sales. PS2 didn't sell that much in the year it recieved its price cut.

Less than 20m in 09? I think 23-24 is actually quite possible.

But here's the funny thing; PS3 and 360 are shipping what 10-12m a year? PS3 won't reach its projection of a mere 13m and because the Wii won't sell 25m a yr its in trouble?

Stay in fantasy land, because the reality is much more reasonable.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
Slimebeast said:

You do know the Wii is the only console to ever sell that much in a year right? It's unprecedented and quite silly to believe any console would be able to sustain such sales. PS2 didn't sell that much in the year it recieved its price cut.

Less than 20m in 09? I think 23-24 is actually quite possible.

But here's the funny thing; PS3 and 360 are shipping what 10-12m a year? PS3 won't reach its projection of a mere 13m and because the Wii won't sell 25m a yr its in trouble?

Stay in fantasy land, because the reality is much more reasonable.

Wanna bet 1 month sig control that the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

There is the heavy presumption, that things remain as they are. Certainly Nintendo is reluctant to take action, but they are in the perfect position to take action whenever they please, having a new color waiting to be unleashed on the other regions, and then a price-drop, as well as any and all software situations.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

This is such a joke that people actually think the Wii will fall off the face of the Earth.

Slimebeast, did you just call Nintendo fans cocky, and say that Sony fans should feel like the kings they always should have been?

Were you serious or did I miss the sarcasm?

I LOVE ICELAND!

theprof00 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
waron said:
every smaller japanese and western developer object just as all big publishers. if the wii would end then:
say goodbye to pretty much all small console development studios that previously worked on ps2/xbox/gc games last gen,
say goodbye to many psp games since many of them are wii ports,
say goodbye to all niche games on a console,
say goodbye to Atlus games on consoles,
say goodbye to Suda51 games on consoles,
etc.

Aren't all these essentially the same point?

-

Eh, I don't care for the Wii, myself, and I don't think it's going to reach the 50% market share, and in the short run, the market share may drop to sub 45%, but it will still remain the number 1 console on the market.

is this if wii is done?

I don't think so, simply because it would still be around, not gone or unsupported. People still support dreamcast, so , yaknow?

Anyway, that takes care of the first 3 goodbyes, as for the next two atlas and suda, both are planning games on psp or ps3. They would adapt because psp is basically a ps2. Plus, motion controls will be available for all systems soon, and they could always support ps2, which does move quite a bit of software each month.

this if no one will support the wii as they try to indicate it on Invisible Walls.

Atlus is financing their hd games from wii/ds games just like most of developers/publishers even Ubisoft financed most of their first ps360 games from wii/ds games profit. development for ps360 bring huge risks to those smaller companies - one retail ps360 game flops and they would went out of business(many developers ended thanks to that) so they are making those projects only when they have many wii/ds games to back it up.

and no, niche games will never be released on ps360 if they aren't from bigger publishers because even xbla/psn titles costs significantly more than standard retail wii game not to mention ds title - besides those niche games are most succesful on nintendo platforms this gen.

just look at atlus expectations for many wii/ds games that are released only in japan or even worldwide - less than 100k for ds/wii games like Steel Princess on ds or Harvest Moon games on a wii is enough for them to have some decent profit. thanks to wii/ds developers can take bigger risks with their games cause they can make wii/ds game on current game system for less than 1/10 of standard ps360 game budget
and still make it just as big as ps360 game with simillar interface and graphics the way they wanted.

ps2 is moving software only in japan. worldwide it only moves games like madden or other games released every year and every year it moves less and less software.

I dont really see how MS and Sony will kill the Wii they've been trying since 2006 and they getting spanked by it every week. Some Sony fanboys will be dissapointed, Slim will sell ok but it wont go through the roof just like PS3 did not.