By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal gear rising could sell over 10 million

^ if you think the game will reach the same users on the ps3 then you should probablly assume less sales for 360 in US and EU than ps3 counter part. With practically nothing in Japan.

Around the Network

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week.

MSG series is niche.

and they may alienate it owns fanbase being a hack and slash with little kojima input.

Xoj said:
MSG series is niche.

and they may alienate it owns fanbase being a hack and slash with little kojima input.

4 million copies sold makes you niche nowadays?

NoCtiS_NoX said:
@ STAGE

So your telling us that all the people that bought the MGS4 bundles didn't like MGS 4? Ok I get yah.

WTF are you babbling about? Read what I write properly. I stated that no game Before MGS4 was a true system seller. MGS4's and the PS3's price cut in 2008 simultaneously helped in almost closing the gap between the PS3 and the 360. Microsoft had a better fourth quarter though...and Sony lost it.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
C_Hollomon said:
1.5m 360
3m PS3

With the low 360 sales in Japan MGS Rising will not sale as good as the PS3 version.

Refer to the last popular third party Sony exclusive that sold way better on the 360. GTA IV.

I'm talking about Japan.  Is GTA lV popular in Japan.  NO!  Look at the sales of GTA and MGS games in Japan.

Adobo said:
Kantor said:
Adobo said:
xbox 360 may sell more

Why?

maybe because half of the xbox users were former ps2 hardcore users?

Not really, no. This was all in my previous two posts, and I'm not going through it again.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kantor said:

Yes, well then how did MGS4 outsell MGS3? Clearly, a large number of MGS fans did buy PS3s, and as I explained if you cared to read my post, yes, a lot of 360 owners were PS2 owners. However, a game like GTA4 has a lot more casual appeal than a game like MGS. (hmmm, grab somebody, chuck him out of a car, run over several people with the car, the cops come, you kill the cops, you have sex with a whore, you kill the whore. OR, you sneak around for a bit, then watch a half hour cutscene, then sneak around some more, which will appeal more to a "casual" gamer?)

Those 360-only owners who owned PS2s would be far more likely to be GTA fans than MGS fans, because an MGS fan would be far more likely to buy a PS3. Furthermore, the 3D GTA games were all on Xbox, timed exclusive or not. No MGS game (barring Substance, and that was...) has been on Xbox, there has never been a simultaneous release, like you said, so the Xbox had a small to non-existent MGS fanbase. Of course, some PS2 owners who liked MGS DID buy 360s, and that's why Rising wouldn't sell terribly on 360- also because they wouldn't have an MGS game yet (not MGS4 which will undoubtedly be better than Rising), and because it's more likely to appeal to non-MGS fans.

As far as brand power was concerned MGS3 was a stronger game. MGS4 sold a hell of a lot in bundles...which MGS3 didn't have the ability to do.Take Bioshocks sales on the PS3 for instance or even many of the other timed exclusives that the 360 had. Timed exclusivity kills the larger potential sales. If you hype up a popular game on multiple systems, a good portion of people on both sides will rally for the game like GTA (Just make sure it has a simultaneous release). Just to let you know.....Kojima said Rising isn't a spin off. He did say that he was focusing the majority of his attention on Peace Walker. Rising is the sequel to MGS4 (from Raidens perspective) while Peace Walker is the sequel to MGS3.

It's true that being a late port decreases sales, but the PS2 version of GTA would still have sold better. That's besides the point, though.

Rising may not be a spin-off, but it's certainly not a stealth game. And Kojima said he is focusing on Peace Walker, like you said, and that it was the "true next Metal Gear Solid" or some such thing. Also, it has Raiden.

As for your point about bundles, surely everybody who bought that bundle WANTED MGS4? Sony didn't say "You want a PS3? You have to get MGS4 with it." It wasn't like Lego Indy, Kung Fu Panda, or Wii Sports. It was a choice. If the bundle wasn't there, people would have bought a PS3, then bought MGS4 separately.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I doubt it would hit anywhere near 10 million. The Playstation 3 is where a majority of the MGS fans are. Also not many 360 owners even give a crap about Metal Gear. Sure it well sell maybe a million or two, but 10 million is WAY to much. I predict 4-5M Lifetime.