By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal gear rising could sell over 10 million

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JEDE3 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Linkasf said:
10 million is out of the question. This isn't a party type of game.

Neither was GTA IV.

But at least it was coming off of a title that sold 21 million....

He said 10 million buddy. Get it straight. No one is talking about Wii games for families.

What does this have to do with the Wii?

The way I see it:

Linkasf: Right conclusion, messed up reasoning

STAGE: Corrects reasoning, has even more messed up reasoning

JEDE3: Points out that STAGE's reasoning is messed up

STAGE: Brings up Linkasf's messed up reasoning.

This game isn't one Wii, so let's ignore that part.

This game is not from a massive franchise, but it is from a large one. It's no GTA, but it's strong nevertheless. Not a 10 million seller, by any stretch of the imagination. GTA was from a massive franchise, and that obviously sold over 10 million.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kantor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JEDE3 said:
LOL Stage... oh man this thread is a hoot.

Don't be foolish. When was the last time an MGS title drop simultaneously with a non-Sony systems version? Exactly...never. They always dropped too late. No one gave a damn about MGS games on a non-PS2 system (back then), because MGS sold PS2's. This gen is very different. This is going to be a title of GTA IV type sales proportions. Remember when the PS3 fanboys thought the PS3 version of GTA IV was going to outsell the 360 version.....and it didn't? Wake the hell up!

Oh, you didn't just compare MGS to GTA. You didn't.

Please say I misunderstood you?

Um, yes. I compared a popular third party title that has the potential if it has a dual release to sell up to 10 million copies at the most. Yes...I said it.

Grand Theft Auto- previous 3 iterations have all sold 10 million + on one console, and around 2-3 million on another. The former console's userbase (or at least the GTA fan segment) was split up quite evenly between PS3 and 360. It is thus logical that they should sell similar amounts, (the 360 selling more because of Xbox GTA fans) and the total should amount to roughly the same as the earlier titles.

Metal Gear Solid- previous 3 iterations have been exclusive to one console, and sold 4-5.5 million copies. Large fanbase, but not a lot of appeal outside that fanbase. Fanbase more likely to migrate to the system with MOAR MGS. A more "hardcore" following than that of GTA, if you will. Obviously, since the 4th iteration is exclusive, all of the sales will be on one platform.

There is now a spinoff from the MGS series, which has never seen light of day on the Xbox (the majority of the users of which migrated to 360) and as I mentioned, the majority of the fanbase will own PS3s. So, we will see a significant sales advantage for the PS3 version, although the PS3 version will sell less than MGS4, this game being a SPINOFF (starring everybody's favourite Raiden, of course, and not even using stealth this time). This game will, naturally, sell SOME copies on 360, but a number less than 4 million + a number less than that number = less than 10 million. Significantly less. I would say perhaps 3 million on PS3, 2 million on 360. Maximum.

Good conclusion Kantor. There is NOTHING to suggest that this game will just increase fanbase... I think If MGS4 was multiplat that it would still get 4 million. Maybe a little more. the MGS series is very story driven.

JEDE3 said:
Good conclusion Kantor. There is NOTHING to suggest that this game will just increase fanbase... I think If MGS4 was multiplat that it would still get 4 million. Maybe a little more. the MGS series is very story driven.

Exactly. MGS4 wouldn't sell any less on PS3 if it was day and date multiplat with 360, and the 360 version would sell perhaps 1.5 million. I think MGS:Rising actually has the potential to sell more on 360 than MGS4 could, because it seems to be a very different kind of game, more violent like the average 360 game (lol) and also you'll have the people who are just happy to see MGS on the 360, and will be willing to put up with crap that a lot of PS3 owners wouldn't.

xbox 360 may sell more

Around the Network
Kantor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kantor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JEDE3 said:

Don't be foolish. When was the last time an MGS title drop simultaneously with a non-Sony systems version? Exactly...never. They always dropped too late. No one gave a damn about MGS games on a non-PS2 system (back then), because MGS sold PS2's. This gen is very different. This is going to be a title of GTA IV type sales proportions. Remember when the PS3 fanboys thought the PS3 version of GTA IV was going to outsell the 360 version.....and it didn't? Wake the hell up!

Um, yes. I compared a popular third party title that has the potential if it has a dual release to sell up to 10 million copies at the most. Yes...I said it.

Grand Theft Auto- previous 3 iterations have all sold 10 million + on one console, and around 2-3 million on another. The former console's userbase (or at least the GTA fan segment) was split up quite evenly between PS3 and 360. It is thus logical that they should sell similar amounts, (the 360 selling more because of Xbox GTA fans) and the total should amount to roughly the same as the earlier titles.

Metal Gear Solid- previous 3 iterations have been exclusive to one console, and sold 4-5.5 million copies. Large fanbase, but not a lot of appeal outside that fanbase. Fanbase more likely to migrate to the system with MOAR MGS. A more "hardcore" following than that of GTA, if you will. Obviously, since the 4th iteration is exclusive, all of the sales will be on one platform.

There is now a spinoff from the MGS series, which has never seen light of day on the Xbox (the majority of the users of which migrated to 360) and as I mentioned, the majority of the fanbase will own PS3s. So, we will see a significant sales advantage for the PS3 version, although the PS3 version will sell less than MGS4, this game being a SPINOFF (starring everybody's favourite Raiden, of course, and not even using stealth this time). This game will, naturally, sell SOME copies on 360, but a number less than 4 million + a number less than that number = less than 10 million. Significantly less. I would say perhaps 3 million on PS3, 2 million on 360. Maximum.

Everyone seems to forget that a good portion of 360 owners once owned a PS2 and that Metal Gear never reached its true multiplat potential last gen because it never had a simultaneous release.

Adobo said:
xbox 360 may sell more

Why?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kantor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kantor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JEDE3 said:

Everyone seems to forget that a good portion of 360 owners once owned a PS2 and that Metal Gear never reached its true multiplat potential last gen because it never had a simultaneous release.

Yes, well then how did MGS4 outsell MGS3? Clearly, a large number of MGS fans did buy PS3s, and as I explained if you cared to read my post, yes, a lot of 360 owners were PS2 owners. However, a game like GTA4 has a lot more casual appeal than a game like MGS. (hmmm, grab somebody, chuck him out of a car, run over several people with the car, the cops come, you kill the cops, you have sex with a whore, you kill the whore. OR, you sneak around for a bit, then watch a half hour cutscene, then sneak around some more, which will appeal more to a "casual" gamer?)

Those 360-only owners who owned PS2s would be far more likely to be GTA fans than MGS fans, because an MGS fan would be far more likely to buy a PS3. Furthermore, the 3D GTA games were all on Xbox, timed exclusive or not. No MGS game (barring Substance, and that was...) has been on Xbox, there has never been a simultaneous release, like you said, so the Xbox had a small to non-existent MGS fanbase. Of course, some PS2 owners who liked MGS DID buy 360s, and that's why Rising wouldn't sell terribly on 360- also because they wouldn't have an MGS game yet (not MGS4 which will undoubtedly be better than Rising), and because it's more likely to appeal to non-MGS fans.

Kantor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kantor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kantor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JEDE3 said:

Yes, well then how did MGS4 outsell MGS3? Clearly, a large number of MGS fans did buy PS3s, and as I explained if you cared to read my post, yes, a lot of 360 owners were PS2 owners. However, a game like GTA4 has a lot more casual appeal than a game like MGS. (hmmm, grab somebody, chuck him out of a car, run over several people with the car, the cops come, you kill the cops, you have sex with a whore, you kill the whore. OR, you sneak around for a bit, then watch a half hour cutscene, then sneak around some more, which will appeal more to a "casual" gamer?)

Those 360-only owners who owned PS2s would be far more likely to be GTA fans than MGS fans, because an MGS fan would be far more likely to buy a PS3. Furthermore, the 3D GTA games were all on Xbox, timed exclusive or not. No MGS game (barring Substance, and that was...) has been on Xbox, there has never been a simultaneous release, like you said, so the Xbox had a small to non-existent MGS fanbase. Of course, some PS2 owners who liked MGS DID buy 360s, and that's why Rising wouldn't sell terribly on 360- also because they wouldn't have an MGS game yet (not MGS4 which will undoubtedly be better than Rising), and because it's more likely to appeal to non-MGS fans.

As far as brand power was concerned MGS3 was a stronger game. MGS4 sold a hell of a lot in bundles...which MGS3 didn't have the ability to do.Take Bioshocks sales on the PS3 for instance or even many of the other timed exclusives that the 360 had. Timed exclusivity kills the larger potential sales. If you hype up a popular game on multiple systems, a good portion of people on both sides will rally for the game like GTA (Just make sure it has a simultaneous release). Just to let you know.....Kojima said Rising isn't a spin off. He did say that he was focusing the majority of his attention on Peace Walker. Rising is the sequel to MGS4 (from Raidens perspective) while Peace Walker is the sequel to MGS3.

Kantor said:
Adobo said:
xbox 360 may sell more

Why?

maybe because half of the xbox users were former ps2 hardcore users?