By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nooooo ! "Tekken director: Unlockables are 'outdated' "

Tekken boss Katsuhiro Harada has declared that the process of unlocking additional characters in fighting games has now become redundant, noting that Tekken 6 will feature all 40 playable fighters available from the start of the game.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com, Harada stated, “Why we locked the characters originally was that in the arcades, it was kind of to extend the life of the game by gradually unlocking characters. And also with the home versions as well, because you can rent games or whatever, it was to protect us against that.”

He went on to say how the unlocking process has been rendered outdated with the introduction of online functionality:

“That’s kind of outdated now though, especially with online play. If we were to have locked characters it would irritate a lot of people, to be playing against others online and to not have all the characters available. So I think it’s no longer useful.”

Tekken 6 is due out later this year on PS3, PSP and Xbox 360.

-----------------------------------------

Damnit ! Not only does that insure that there is no devil kazuya hidden..... it also ruins some of the game.. atleast for people like me.. I prefere having to unlock them >_> I want a option so that i can choose to unlock them.. It's always a awesome thing when you boot up a new tekken game.. and you see all those question marks.. even if you know whose there >_>.. very exciting..atleast if you ask me.. They ruin some of that mysterious atmosphere by dropping that :\

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Hard to disagree with it. Unless I have to beat a game before getting little cheats and special power ups I find them annoying.

I see this as good news.

WHAT?? how can he say that.

No Devil Kazuya = FAIL

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

This is bullshit. Where's the incentive to finish story mode for most of the characters now?

I totally agree with you, Staude. They fucked up a big part of the game. I always LOVED unlocking characters - basically because I wanted to see who is hidden...

Around the Network

So no incentive to actually play the game.. what dumb ass developers. Tekken 6 fails.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@Xen
I guess their ending. But there goes one major reason to play Story Mode what so ever.

Now it's coming out with less gameplay time because they can't be bothered to lock the characters down.

Hmm, pie.

To me unlocking new costumes and especially new characters is my motivation to play Beat'em Ups.

What a fail move....

time of unlocking is gone!!! all hail the time of DLCing !!! ......................

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

The Fury said:

@Xen
I guess their ending. But there goes one major reason to play Story Mode what so ever.

Now it's coming out with less gameplay time because they can't be bothered to lock the characters down.

Yes, at least we have the endings. I wonder what lulz will Marshall Law bring this time ;)

Still, I loved unlocking characters... whenever I got a new Tekken I'd gather up friends (lots of them love Tekken) and we'd take turns unlocking characters.